HIGH-VOLTAGE BATTERY WARNING but disappeared by itself

Arthur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E RWD
Country flag
My first post, and unfortunately it was for the high-voltage battery warning and powertrain malfucntion errors I got this morning. Some basic information:
'21 Mach-E Premium RWD, 20k miles. Happened during a routine Level 2 charging at home. First got a "Charge fault" on Fordpass and then "Service vehicle soon" in the vehicle. Then high-voltage battery warning and powertrain malfucntion errors showed up in Fordpass.
The vehicle was operable despite the error messages. Waited for 45 mins and then restarted the vehicle and drove around for 1 mile. All error messages disappeared by themselves and charging also seems to go as usual.
Is this a one-time glitch or should I be worried and take it to dealership proactively? Since there is no active error message, I am afraid dealer will just kick the ball around without fixing anything.
Sponsored

Last edited:

snowy_91

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Ice Blue GT Performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Petty much what happen to mine last month, the error codes cleared on the next restart.

CarDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER Premium 2022
Country flag
Same as @snowy_91 . Its a new bug, but a terrifying one.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
If you have an OBD reader, pull the codes to see if it is something about which to be concerned. Itā€™s probably something not too bad (like a glitch). A real problem would not have just gone away. šŸ˜ŠšŸ©

OP
OP

Arthur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E RWD
Country flag
It is sort of comforting to see that I am not alone with this issue. That said, it does cast some shadow on long term reliability of Mach-E as I don't want to get stranded on highway or nowhere.

CB1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I ran into the same thing right now - was going to create a new post on the forum this issue but my details are basically the same as yours:

On the Ford app I was getting a charging error - it said to unplug and replug the car (at home, standard level 2 charging). I did so, and the error remained (and the charging port lights were red/orange). So I unplugged again.

I turned on the car and got a dreaded "service vehicle soon". Turned the car off, got worried, but then I came back a few minutes later and plugged in again, and all was fine and it charged. I turned on the car, and the "service vehicle soon" and the wrench disappeared. It's charging fine now

Was this a weird bug? Something to worry about? Trying to see how concerned I should be, especially with a 150 mile round trip drive planned for tomorrow (may take another car instead).

Hey @CarDreams, we're the same build week if you remember from us all waiting for our cars together 8 months ago - wonder if anyone else from our week ran into the issue...

MightyJawa

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt
Country flag
I experienced basically the same thing a week or so ago. ā€™21 RWD Ext Range. Only happened once.

TheAlemaster

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E AWD
Country flag
Just got the same thing here. I had some errors when I used a public charger at the local hospital, and it threw 5 warnings to my FordPass app after it is was charging happily for an hour. Tonight at home, Iā€™m getting alerts of a Vehicle Charge Fault, the orange ring of shame when I plug in to my Ford charging station at home, a recommendation to Service Soon, and it definitely isnā€™t charging now.

I had also taken the vehicle to the dealer this week because I had a 12v battery warning after a cold snap a few weeks ago. The dealer told me the codes they pulled said there was a ā€œhigh temperature warningā€ for the battery, and also a number of service patches that were recommended (which is weird, because Iā€™ve been getting OTA updatesā€¦the last one being the heating update). All batteries were showing healthy otherwise under a diagnostic.

This feels ā€œbadā€.

Last edited:

TheAlemaster

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E AWD
Country flag
Update: put the vehicle on the charger this morning and the fault has cleared.

CarDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER Premium 2022
Country flag
I ran into the same thing right now - was going to create a new post on the forum this issue but my details are basically the same as yours:

On the Ford app I was getting a charging error - it said to unplug and replug the car (at home, standard level 2 charging). I did so, and the error remained (and the charging port lights were red/orange). So I unplugged again.

I turned on the car and got a dreaded "service vehicle soon". Turned the car off, got worried, but then I came back a few minutes later and plugged in again, and all was fine and it charged. I turned on the car, and the "service vehicle soon" and the wrench disappeared. It's charging fine now

Was this a weird bug? Something to worry about? Trying to see how concerned I should be, especially with a 150 mile round trip drive planned for tomorrow (may take another car instead).

Hey @CarDreams, we're the same build week if you remember from us all waiting for our cars together 8 months ago - wonder if anyone else from our week ran into the issue...

I wonder as well. I know we're one of the last build weeks with the old HVBJBs -- so that is always in the back of my mind.

I have driven my car on a couple of 90+ mile trips and charged with no issue since. I did get another "parking break engaged" bug, but from the forms, it sounds like the two bugs are related.

Im 1k miles away or so from 10k miles and FordPass notified me this morning to schedule that appointment.

beymax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mustang mach e Premium AWD Extended Range
Country flag
Just wanted to add that I just experienced the same. (never had issues before with charging)

Plugged into a level 2 charger, charged for a minute, then charge fault. I came back (the car beside me on the same unit was still charging, so it's not the EVSE), unplugged and started the car - noticed that the service light was on, tried with another charger (twice) didn't work - got the orange ring. Unplugged and parked elsewhere.

20 min later, came back from lunch, turned on the car, noticed the service light was off. Plugged in and it worked.

Definitely not a coincidence that several of us are experiencing this at about the same time.
Sponsored