Home Level 2 Charger Issues

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I have pounded my head against the wall for a week now and am nearing my wit's end. I thought initially that because my electrician didn't ground the outlet to the conduit that my charger wouldn't work when I plugged into 240V. Part of the reason was that my ChargePoint Home Flex wasn't working either. I've literally looked at everything I can possibly think of down to the circuit breaker. I put a Square D Homelite dual-pole 50A breaker in to replace the Siemens one he put in my Square D panel, thinking that there may have been an incompatibility issue. Still no luck. I'm measuring 126V on each lead at the outlet. Does anyone have any ideas what could be happening? I can't live with L1 charging at home.
Sponsored

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I have pounded my head against the wall for a week now and am nearing my wit's end. I thought initially that because my electrician didn't ground the outlet to the conduit that my charger wouldn't work when I plugged into 240V. Part of the reason was that my ChargePoint Home Flex wasn't working either. I've literally looked at everything I can possibly think of down to the circuit breaker. I put a Square D Homelite dual-pole 50A breaker in to replace the Siemens one he put in my Square D panel, thinking that there may have been an incompatibility issue. Still no luck. I'm measuring 126V on each lead at the outlet. Does anyone have any ideas what could be happening? I can't live with L1 charging at home.
126 V between which pins? There should be 240 V between the two hot pins, 120 V between each hot and the neutral, 120 V between each hot and ground, and 0 V between the neutral and ground.

OP
OP
jparduhn70

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
126 V between which pins? There should be 240 V between the two hot pins, 120 V between each hot and the neutral, 120 V between each hot and ground, and 0 V between the neutral and ground.
120V between each hot and neutral, 0V between ground and neutral.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
120V between each hot and neutral, 0V between ground and neutral.
Also check between the hots for 240 V just to cover everything.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Just wired in a 14-50 today in case my Ford Connect charger pukes. Neutral is not required. Just the 2 hots and a ground.

If you feel confident you could take the socket cover off and check things with a meter. Could be a defective socket in that the pin grippy things could have spread and are no longer making contact. May need to replace the socket if so.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Just wired in a 14-50 today in case my Ford Connect charger pukes. Neutral is not required. Just the 2 hots and a ground.

If you feel confident you could take the socket cover off and check things with a meter. Could be a defective socket in that the pin grippy things could have spread and are no longer making contact. May need to replace the socket if so.
This has been discussed in several other threads, but you do need a neutral in a NEMA 14-50 outlet, even if the charger doesn't use it. If you hard wired the charger you don't need it, but the outlet does.

OP
OP
jparduhn70

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

I'm brave. I've already done that. Good thing I don't have anything else to do today. :)

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Double (and triple) check that the 14-50 pigtail is pushed all the way into the EVSE. Assuming it is, check Plugshare for another 14-50 outlet near you to try.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
This has been discussed in several other threads, but you do need a neutral in a NEMA 14-50 outlet, even if the charger doesn't use it. If you hard wired the charger you don't need it, but the outlet does.
Our basement was a rental unit at one time. The stove was next to the side door and is no longer there (not renting out) so I put a 14-50 using the 3 provided wires (oddly they had a 50amp breaker and wire feeding a 30 plug). Charger works just fine with no neutral. If it did not I would have strapped neutral to ground but luck would have it it is not required.

OP
OP
jparduhn70

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are there any health indications on the charger? I think the color and blinking pattern convey specific fault conditions.
The charger just has a blue light. Nothing else indicating there could be an issue.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Our basement was a rental unit at one time. The stove was next to the side door and is no longer there (not renting out) so I put a 14-50 using the 3 provided wires (oddly they had a 50amp breaker and wire feeding a 30 plug). Charger works just fine with no neutral. If it did not I would have strapped neutral to ground but luck would have it it is not required.
Just FYI, that won't pass code. A NEMA 14-50 absolutely must have a neutral and tying the neutral and ground is a safety hazard also against code. And I would check the wire gauge to verify it's rated for 50 A.

OP
OP
jparduhn70

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is your car at your set max charge?
Set to charge to 95%, anytime it's plugged in. I checked all my settings in the FordPass app. When I put the 120V adapter on the Ford charger, it immediately starts charging.
Sponsored