How long do you wait to charge after driving?

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
I've said this before, but I think the "cooling off period" is just a carbon copy from the Fusion or Cmax hybrid manuals. On those cars the battery actually gets pretty hot while driving and they had an abysmal air cooling system that didn't work very well, so you wouldn't want to charge those right when you got home if you can help it.
Yup, and on 240v those cars would be charging at 0.5C 🤣. And those packs were really stressed - if you leave it in auto mode, the computer will just drain the battery up until 85mph, I believe, before going into hybrid mode.

In all those years, I've heard of maybe a handful of CMax Energi owners who had to have their packs replaced due to premature failure/poor state of health. And those people were charging on L2 chargers during the day under the summer sun.
Sponsored

nmope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME GTPE, 17 MX5 Club
Country flag
Thanks for this thread. I have always wondered if I was in the minority of not waiting to level 2 charge at home.

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
It’s on page 157. This is really for optimal battery health - obviously not for DCFC.

IMG_1337.jpeg
Very many thanks for that.

We appear to have slightly different versions of the handbook each side of the pond and I have two versions on the FordPass app.

The earlier version I read when I first bought the ‘Stang simply said on page 139 allow battery to cool before overnight charging at home whilst the latest version is online style which has links to pages not page numbers and recommends the 2-3 hours wait time with which I always am able to comply.

In addition, though, it says “Frequent use of DC charging could result in reducing your battery's efficiency and lifespan” with which I have no hope of complying with 56,000 miles on the clock under 2 years which means by definition “frequent use of DC” is unavoidable.

I’ll take my chances on “reducing battery’s efficiency & lifespan” as I won’t be going back to ICE and will NEVER give up the MME.

Bring on solid state batteries!

Enjoy yours, all!