Randal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Since I am a senior citizen, my KW cost is 9.5 cents, regular peak hour rates, for younger folks it's 15 cents per KW. If the wife drives her MMe 12,000 this year, and she probably will, it will cost about $450. Her traded in Infinite would have cost about $2400 in gas @ $4/gallon. ( Sorry guys, gas and electricity in MInnesota seems to be cheaper than most other areas. )

However, the garage battery charger install and equipment cost about $1000. The trailer hitch I am about to have installed on the back end, so it can be pulled out of a ditch, Ford did NOT provide any rear end tow points, costs about $800 and I have spent about $200 on power cord adapters.

So the money we technically will save on gas was all used up on incidentals in the first year, but of course they will theoretically be usable assets for future EV use. So as long as it the MMe doesn't break next year or the year after. We should be OK. However, we will definitely not keep this MMe EV beyond the bumper to bumper warranty. I suspect there will be a lot of changes to EV technology and I prefer NOT to be an owner of Ford's first born EV after warranty is used up. To much financial and mechanical risk and I will just trade it off and buy something else.

mjs020294

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
We were using 530 gallons a year in my wife's car. The Mach E is being charged by surplus solar and a free charger at her place of work; so we are saving 530 times whatever gas is selling for.

MABachE131

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT in DMG
Country flag
I had a Fusion Sport and now MME GT. Saving about $150 per month in energy costs.

OP
OP

YFD_233

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Durango RT,
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
$6,350 per year.
I drive 32k miles/year. Electric costs is about $650. Fuel cost in my previous ICE daily driver would've cost over $7,000.
well this was an easy read lol. Wow. You guys blew my mind. So to be honest I get I should keep my bronco sport 4cyl and not pay $64,000 for my GT and really just order a Fisker pear for 2024.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
The trailer hitch I am about to have installed on the back end, so it can be pulled out of a ditch, Ford did NOT provide any rear end tow points...
Are you planning to end up in a ditch? This seems like a rather specific add-on for something that hasn't happened yet.

Depending on the speed at which you entered the hypothetical ditch, the damage sustained could make the lack of rear tow points the least of your concerns.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
For me this is the most important measurement.

Even if it cost more would be worthwhile but with solar I can heat, cool, run an entire house, charge 2 EVs and pay nothing but a monthly service charge, here is my last 13 months usage:

1650307570460.png

Overproduce in the summer, draw down credits in the winter and get close to net-zero CO2 along the way. Last year my total power bill was $201 ($17/mo for the account paperwork).
Your situation is a lot like mine except my winter kWh is less since I have oil heat. My solar system is 8400 kWh which I got prior to my MME. What’s your system size, about 14,500 kWh?

Last edited:

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GTPE; 2022 MME Premium ER
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Where I live, I pay $0.24/kwH (off-peak) and regular gasoline is $5.86/gal average.

If I drive 1,000 miles per month, I would pay about (1,000 mi/3 kwH/mi X $0.24) = $80 for electricity or (1,000 mi/21 mi/gal X $5.86/gal) = $280 for gasoline. Pretty clear choice, especially since my electrical calculation doesn't take into account that I have a solar system with battery backup that adds to my savings.

That said, I agree with the others here who have pointed out the intangible value of going all-in on electric power. The real value of my EVs, solar array, and backup battery storage is that I'm doing my part to save the planet on which all of us depend. My whole family just loves going for days not burning a single drop of fossil fuel. To us, that's priceless!

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
When my work travel schedule comes back online, I'll be saving about $8k to $10k per year in fuel and airline tickets. Anything within about a 1-day to three drive will be a road trip instead of a flight. That's a savings of at least one flight ($1,000) every three months vs a $100 drive in the Mustang (saving about $3600 or more). I will also have about a dozen half-day drives, which used to cost close to $200 in gas. Now they'll cost about $20. That's a savings of about $2200. Plus our personal driving of about 12,000 miles, which will be a savings of at least $2500, but probably closer to $3000. That's assuming gas prices go down to $4/gallon in my travel corridors, which they won't.

And that's not even counting the savings in maintenance costs. Or the savings in carbon. Or the contribution to making EVs more visible as viable vehicles.

And that's also not including the savings from not paying for fuel for the driving locally because of our solar panels.

My Mustang will pay me back within three years of ownership.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
We were more fortunate.
We did not pay anything close to $60,000 for our MME. We were lucky enough to get the $7,500 tax credit, plus local tax credits, plus stimulus monies which brought the cost down to $40,000.
We also got an extra $3,500 on our Volt which brought the out of pocket cost to <$25,000.
Not a bad deal for a car like the MME.
I realize innovation and new technology cost initial purchasers more (look at televisions over the last 70 years).
I think in the long run we will do well with the MME* ( and the other EVs we have purchased which add up to > $40,000 in tax credits combined).

Have fun.
See you on the asphalt highway
Drivin' in my car MME
Wave

*we power our EVs 95% of the time directly from our solar panels

Last edited:

Boxman74

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E premium Awd LR
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I drive more than the average person as I am in sales, about 5000km/ month. My truck averaged 12l/100km so used 600l of gas, which is $1.78 now, which equates to $1068 a month in fuel, plus $100 oil change every couple months. My mme costs about $250 more per month in payments and insurance, and while I have not run the numbers, our hydro bill went up roughly $100 per month(we pay $0.08/kWh off peak). So $1118-$350 in extra costs is about $750 in savings Per month and $9000/year. I miss my truck, but I like the numbers.