Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Thought I'd start this thread with an ask, and revise title and first post if I get an answer....

Intro
----
I am (one of many apparently) not able to use Phone As A Key (PAAK) . I can't even configure mine as FordPass configuration process says my phone does not support PAAK. Since this leaves me with only one key.... I want a second Fob! My Dealer has thus far not offered to provide a 2nd Fob for free, or go to bat with Ford Customer Service to make this a 'standard feature' for MME deliveries until PAAK is 100% available and reliable.

Buying a second Fob
----
This is not hard.... brand new Fob online can be had for $80-$100
https://www.carandtruckremotes.com/2021-ford-mustang-electric-smart-remote-4b.html

ASKING - How to Program the dang thing without charge from Dealer or 'auto locksmith'
----
after poking thru several threads.... it is sounding like the programming of a second Fob requires OEM hardware/software; which means Service charge by the Dealer, or a Certified Auto Locksmith. ;(
Sponsored

Last edited:

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
I bought the second FOB from the above website. Received it in three days. All the serial numbers match so it is an identical FOB to what owners are getting. I hope to be able to get the dealer to program for free when my MME arrives since PAAK is a non-starter. I do have a local locksmith that said he would only charge me $50....but that is because I know him...and he is awaiting some sort of software update for his equipment.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I bought the second FOB from the above website. Received it in three days. All the serial numbers match so it is an identical FOB to what owners are getting. I hope to be able to get the dealer to program for free when my MME arrives since PAAK is a non-starter. I do have a local locksmith that said he would only charge me $50....but that is because I know him...and he is awaiting some sort of software update for his equipment.
Or just setup the PAAK, go home, come back and say the new FOB does not work. Hand them the new FOB and tell them you can't get it to work.

Just saying... not the most honest solution but a solution.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Or just setup the PAAK, go home, come back and say the new FOB does not work. Hand them the new FOB and tell them you can't get it to work.

Just saying... not the most honest solution but a solution.
While this is a great plan, it is unlikely the original FOB will work after the "old new 2nd FOB" is programmed. Usually the process ties the vehicle and all the FOBs together.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
While this is a great plan, it is unlikely the original FOB will work after the "old new 2nd FOB" is programmed. Usually the process ties the vehicle and all the FOBs together.
Darn, foiled again! :) Thanks Ron for keeping me honest!

Flowell

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach-e
Occupation
Civil Field Engineer
Country flag
Thought I'd start this thread with an ask, and revise title and first post if I get an answer....

Intro
----
I am (one of many apparently) not able to use Phone As A Key (PAAK) . I can't even configure mine as FordPass configuration process says my phone does not support PAAK. Since this leaves me with only one key.... I want a second Fob! My Dealer has thus far not offered to provide a 2nd Fob for free, or go to bat with Ford Customer Service to make this a 'standard feature' for MME deliveries until PAAK is 100% available and reliable.

Buying a second Fob
----
This is not hard.... brand new Fob online can be had for $80-$100
https://www.carandtruckremotes.com/2021-ford-mustang-electric-smart-remote-4b.html

ASKING - How to Program the dang thing without charge from Dealer or 'auto locksmith'
----
after poking thru several threads.... it is sounding like the programming of a second Fob requires OEM hardware/software; which means Service charge by the Dealer, or a Certified Auto Locksmith. ;(
This link doesn't work anymore. Any idea where I can get it from now?

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
This link doesn't work anymore. Any idea where I can get it from now?
Google it my friend.

See picture for part number, I got it programmed 2 weeks ago, no issues.

tempImagewqKdx4.png

Flowell

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach-e
Occupation
Civil Field Engineer
Country flag
Google it my friend.

See picture for part number, I got it programmed 2 weeks ago, no issues.

Ford Mustang Mach-E HowTo - purchase and program a 2nd Key Fob - ASKING tempImagewqKdx4
I am a fairly competent internet shopper, but every single site is out of them. amazon, ebay, carandtruckremotes.com, google shopping, parts.ford.com. I can't find it anywhere. Would appreciate if anyone can find where I could get one.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I am a fairly competent internet shopper, but every single site is out of them. amazon, ebay, carandtruckremotes.com, google shopping, parts.ford.com. I can't find it anywhere. Would appreciate if anyone can find where I could get one.
Yup, there’s been a shortage for several months. It’s true of a lot of different items for this and other cars.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Yup, there’s been a shortage for several months. It’s true of a lot of different items for this and other cars.
Part number is JR3T-15K601-FA and I tried to avoid posting the link on purpose. Poster didn't appreciate it and let me know in the duplicate post.

They sell quick these days, so posting where to buy does not help as they will just be gone by the time you get there. Very popular right now since Ford decided to provide us only with one FOB.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Part number is JR3T-15K601-FA and I tried to avoid posting the link on purpose. Poster didn't appreciate it and let me know in the duplicate post.

They sell quick these days, so posting where to buy does not help as they will just be gone by the time you get there. Very popular right now since Ford decided to provide us only with one FOB.
Yeah, I saw that. You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink. Though to be honest, most horses will drink quite readily if you lead them to water.

I got my second fob a couple of months before my car. The dealer programmed it for free when I picked up my MME. Ironically, PAAK works fine, 100% of the time so neither fob ever gets used.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah, I saw that. You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink. Though to be honest, most horses will drink quite readily if you lead them to water.

I got my second fob a couple of months before my car. The dealer programmed it for free when I picked up my MME. Ironically, PAAK works fine, 100% of the time so neither fob ever gets used.
I order one thru the dealer the month I got the vehicle Feb/March when PAAK was not what it is today. Still waiting for it? You guys are always first. Bet you will carry it on long trips as a back up. I am still looking for two.

I do agree PAAK works better now and I have not had key not detected for over a month. Still need to sometimes press the unlock button a couple of times to wake it up from its deep sleep. No presentation on approach; puddle lights etc but I have seen them and know they work. PAAK has been working for me a lot better since the second time it was in the shop along with FP 3.22. It was not in for PAAK but all was updated while it was. Unfortunately my problem was not fixed. Not all MME were created equal but they can get better over time. Hoping OTA and not service installs start soon. Fix one problem and turn auto updates to off.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I order one thru the dealer the month I got the vehicle Feb/March when PAAK was not what it is today. Still waiting for it? You guys are always first. Bet you will carry it on long trips as a back up. I am still looking for two.

I do agree PAAK works better now and I have not had key not detected for over a month. Still need to sometimes press the unlock button a couple of times to wake it up from its deep sleep. No presentation on approach; puddle lights etc but I have seen them and know they work. PAAK has been working for me a lot better since the second time it was in the shop along with FP 3.22. It was not in for PAAK but all was updated while it was. Unfortunately my problem was not fixed. Not all MME were created equal but they can get better over time. Hoping OTA and not service installs start soon. Fix one problem and turn auto updates to off.
1. PAAK works for me 100% of the time without exception. Every. Single. Time. There's an occasional delay if I approach the car from directly behind it with my phone in my back pocket, but it still wakes up.
2. I don't carry a keyfob, I don't have one in the car. If it doesn't work at some point, that's what the codes are for. The keyfobs are in faraday bags in the house.
3. I live on an island. A long trip starts and ends at your home. It's also entirely within the range of any ER MME currently on the road without charging.

Most of us who bought the extra keys did so several months ago over concerns that PAAK hardly functions. Those fears have proven unfounded for the majority of owners. While some are still having problems, it's not a widespread issue despite what the forums might lead you to believe. Ard yes, Ford, should have included 2 fobs from the start. In the meantime, the fobs will be available at some point in time.

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
I did get my second fob from my dealer. He ordered it and programmed for free after I requested in many moons ago....I only use the fob as I like the positive way it always works...and the pony lights!
Sponsored