HUGE Safety Issue - 1PD - "Drive Mode Not Available"

Pieter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E on order
Country flag
Everyone that I know that has a MME has this issue, at least intermittently. And I assume the "influencers" don't want to get on Ford's PR bad side...
The Tesla lovers definitely would..
Sponsored

wbir

First Name
Werner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I had this issue this week first time. I used Whisper mode and was driving on the road. Looks like this has come with latest updates. My 22er GT has Power up 6.1.0.

Mike F

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E; 2021 Toyota Venza
Country flag
FWIW, it's happened to me numerous times, including yesterday. It always goes from Unbridled into what seems like Engage, but I've never lost 1PD. After a few minutes I switch back to Unbridled.

csilvest

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Rapid Red MME GT (Non-PE), '16 Mustang GT Conv
Occupation
IT Support
Country flag
There's an alternative to 1PD that I didn't know about until someone posted about it, so I'll do the same and "pay it forward". Incidentally, I thought I would hate 1PD but decided to try it out with an open mind. Didn't take long before I was hooked and drove that way for a while. Besides the issue the OP raises, I didn't like that the brake lights came on as soon as I eased up on the accelerator.

Here's the alternative - you can turn 1PD off, and drive with the car in "L" instead of "D" by pressing the "L" button after switching to "D". My understanding is that it's not actually "Low" like in a car with a transmission, but it simulates the same using the regenerative braking. It behaves very similar to 1PD, although it won't stop the car completely like 1PD does. It also doesn't turn on the brake lights until I actually hit the brake, which I prefer.

I haven't ever experienced the OP's issue, either before running this way or after. This might be a good alternative that would mitigate the problem. I run in Engage/no 1PD mode now by default and have just gotten into the habit of pressing the "L" button on the dial right after putting it in "D". If I do happen to forget, it becomes obvious as soon as I ease up on the accelerator.

Might be worth a try.

OP
OP
jdmrc93

jdmrc93

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition in Grabber Blue
Occupation
IT Network Engineer
Country flag
There's an alternative to 1PD that I didn't know about until someone posted about it, so I'll do the same and "pay it forward". Incidentally, I thought I would hate 1PD but decided to try it out with an open mind. Didn't take long before I was hooked and drove that way for a while. Besides the issue the OP raises, I didn't like that the brake lights came on as soon as I eased up on the accelerator.

Here's the alternative - you can turn 1PD off, and drive with the car in "L" instead of "D" by pressing the "L" button after switching to "D". My understanding is that it's not actually "Low" like in a car with a transmission, but it simulates the same using the regenerative braking. It behaves very similar to 1PD, although it won't stop the car completely like 1PD does. It also doesn't turn on the brake lights until I actually hit the brake, which I prefer.

I haven't ever experienced the OP's issue, either before running this way or after. This might be a good alternative that would mitigate the problem. I run in Engage/no 1PD mode now by default and have just gotten into the habit of pressing the "L" button on the dial right after putting it in "D". If I do happen to forget, it becomes obvious as soon as I ease up on the accelerator.

Might be worth a try.
I prefer the most aggressive regenerative braking. I have tried using L but it doesn't work well enough for me.

csilvest

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Rapid Red MME GT (Non-PE), '16 Mustang GT Conv
Occupation
IT Support
Country flag
I prefer the most aggressive regenerative braking. I have tried using L but it doesn't work well enough for me.
It wouldn't be a permanent solution, but might be a good path forward until the issue is addressed.

VindictivePantz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MACH-E Premium AWD w/ Ext. Battery
Country flag
I finally had it happen to me today. '21, Job 1 on 6.1.0.

The 1PD icon was on, but I got a "Drive Mode Unavailable". I was in Whisper, which is rare for me, and usually in Unbridled.

It's concerning, especially for those who are very used to 1PD.

I was originally skeptical of it being a safety issue, but when it happens when you're going around 50MPH and the 1PD icon is still there and if you're not used to the non-1PD "feel", I could see it causing an accident.

Duncs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 2022
Country flag
@Ford Motor Company any solution to these faults? I've gone to the dealer several times, have modules updated, but the 1 pedal fault remains. Scary when it happens.

ItsRobin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
This has happened a couple of times before... but today's instance was scary and the car could have wrecked itself.

I have had instances when I'm driving, I will get a notification saying "Drive Mode Not Available". Ok whatever. The problem is, when this happens to me, the 1PD turns off by itself and can't be re-engaged without power cycling the car. If I'm driving along on a road and I see that, I know what to expect. HOWEVER, 10 min ago, I was pulling into a parking spot with concrete posts around it. This time, it happened as I was turning into the spot. I was in Whisper mode this time. I noticed the car SPED UP a bit as I was letting my foot off the accelerator, and I had to slam on the brakes. Sure enough, "Drive Mode Not Available" was up on the screen. I was about 1 inch away from this concrete post.

Has this happened to anyone else? I can't be the only one...

@Ford Motor Company ya'll need to weigh-in here. This needs to be fixed.
It’s been happening to me now more frequently. I’m always in unbridled, so, thankfully, it hasn’t sped up on me, or jerked me around. I ALWAYS turn off lane keeping assist. I find it dangerous already. I guess I need to call the dealership. It’s happening almost daily at this point 🤦‍♀️

Jerrytball

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It happened once to me in the whisper mode, but I never noticed any difference driving and I did what somebody told me to do on here. Turn it off turn it back on, and it was fine after that but the other day I did notice when I was driving around, it switched to engage mode by itself no message, though I only noticed it because I got the brake coach.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I experienced this fairly regularly last year, but at some point it stopped (it's been many months since I've encountered it). Was it fixed in a 6.x update? I think I'm on 6.13 now.

grein002

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GTPE, Red w/Gray interior
I've had this happen several times. Twice on a road trip while I had BlueCruise engaged, then 2 or three times on local in-town driving. Mine said "one pedal drive fault":

Ford Mustang Mach-E HUGE Safety Issue - 1PD - "Drive Mode Not Available" IMG_1831

cafr11901

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Happened to my wife on a big hill at a stoplight this week. She was very unamused as the car rolled forward and gave her a start. I thought for a second I was going to get to drive the car instead - but no such luck. It was interesting that the powertrain error hit my phone as well. The car went to the dealership who performed multiple module updates. We'll see what happens...
Sponsored