I'm loading in back, passenger can't enter door?

DrAchoo

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Rapid Red RWD, St. Batt Mach E
Country flag
Do I have some setting wrong? I've been in the situation more than once where I am loading something in the back (lets say groceries) and my wife cannot open the passenger door until I open the driver's door first. Clearly the car knows I'm there because I opened the hatchback door successfully.

I've also felt that there are far too many times the passengers have to mash the button 2-3 times (which utterly confuses them if they are new to the buttons), even when I'm either already in the car or I'm at the driver door. I understand the theory of the aerodynamics gained without handles, but the door buttons are my least favorite feature on the MME and they seem a bit too much like a gimmick when a handle would have done the trick just as well.

Thoughts? Other's experience?
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Iā€™m not exactly sure how the locking system is supposed to work since my stupid car let a child into my cabin while I had the hatch open and was talking to someone. This was at a car show and I presume it was a child because of the sticky handprints all over the interior of the passenger side of the car. šŸ¤¬šŸ©

MONDO

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(2021) Space White, Premium, AWD Ext Range
Occupation
Design Engineer
Country flag
Ha! My wife is convinced the car hates her for this exact reason. Happens all the time. I use PaaK.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
I can't recall if there is a setting of "unlock all doors" on approach or just the driver's, maybe there is something like that in there.

Also, what is your build date? If you have an older build, you may need 21P22 done, which resolves most of the door wonkiness.

OP
OP

DrAchoo

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ha! My wife is convinced the car hates her for this exact reason. Happens all the time. I use PaaK.
I only use the fob.

OP
OP

DrAchoo

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can't recall if there is a setting of "unlock all doors" on approach or just the driver's, maybe there is something like that in there.

Also, what is your build date? If you have an older build, you may need 21P22 done, which resolves most of the door wonkiness.
I have a job 2 car but just had the 21P22 done a number of weeks ago. Hasn't really seemed to fix this issue.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
The doors donā€™t unlock until the person in possession of the phone (or fob) opens the door they are standing next to. The hatch doesnā€™t count.
The alternative is to press unlock on the fob. Then all doors are unlocked.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

ā€œUnlock all doorsā€ only comes into play when the first door gets unlocked. That doesnā€™t happen until the person with the fob either presses the unlock button on the fob or opens one of the doors.

Unlock on approach just means the person with the fob can press a door button to unlock without using the fob.

At least thatā€™s my understanding and how my 17 month old car has behaved since day 1.

Ming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium SR RWD; 2022 Civic; Tesla MYP
Country flag
Most if not all other vehicles I have driven do the same thing, opening trunk doesn't unlock the doors.
Believe it's done on purpose, not a defect.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
I believe the issue is the PAAK or Fob must be within 3 ft of the door being unlocked for keyless entry to work. So either you need your phone closer to the rear door or your wife needs to be carrying a FOB or her phone programmed as PAAK. Or you need to use the FOB to manually unlock the doors by pressing the unlock button twice...

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Per the manual, keyless entry should work if the fob is detected by either the front doors or the tailgate. In the OP's scenario, he's loading stuff in the tailgate and the front passenger door isn't unlocking, at least I believe they're talking about the front passenger door. "Make sure your remote control is within 3 ft (1 m) from the front door handles and the tailgate."
It does, but all that means is that the person with the fob can get in the door they are within 3ā€™ of.
The only door the will open initially is the one where the fob is detected. Once that door is opened, the others unlock. The hatch doesnā€™t trigger the other doors to unlock, presumably to prevent some thug from hopping in your car while youā€™re loading groceries?

My car has always worked exactly the way he states. Iā€™d be interested to know if others have a different experience, and if so, what their unlock settings are.

OP
OP

DrAchoo

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The hatch doesnā€™t trigger the other doors to unlock, presumably to prevent some thug from hopping in your car while youā€™re loading groceries?
Perhaps this is engineers overthinking negative scenarios. How many times in a year will one prevent an unintended entry versus preventing a valid passenger from entering the door quickly while it is pouring rain? I'd say the odds are probably beter than 100:1 in favor of the rain.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The car behaves exactly as it should, and Maquis has basically stated it. Trunk is not a door. Doors should not be unlocked.

If a person approaches any door, and they don't have a fob or PAAK, then the door should not unlock.

If a driver approaches the driver's door, and the car is set to unlock just the driver's door, then none of the other doors should unlock. If the car is set to unlock all 4 doors when the driver unlocks their door, then they should all unlock.

There is no need to press the fob twice if you set it to unlock all doors with one push.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Perhaps this is engineers overthinking negative scenarios. How many times in a year will one prevent an unintended entry versus preventing a valid passenger from entering the door quickly while it is pouring rain? I'd say the odds are probably beter than 100:1 in favor of the rain.
Those odds could vary quite a bit depending on the location. šŸ˜€

I had fun at my wifeā€™s expense for the first 6 months we had the car. Sheā€™d complain that she couldnā€™t open the passenger door until I opened the driverā€™s door. I told her she just didnā€™t know how to open the door. She said ā€œyou come over here and open it!ā€ So I did. Of course, I had the fob in my pocket! She had a good laugh once I explained to her what was really going on.
Sponsored