Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Premium ER Mach E, '21 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
On day1 of owning the (wife's primary) car, I let her be the first to drive it and mess with settings, then I assigned her profile to driver1 and her specific fob. Then I made my profile and assigned it to driver2. I also enabled my phone as key and assigned it to driver2. In addition, both our phones are in the phone list, and for my profile I made my phone favorite, and for her profile I made her phone favorite.

In theory:
  • If I am solo in the car, my profile should load
  • If she is solo in the car, her profile should load
  • If we are both in the car, it is understood the wrong profile may load and we simply press the profile button on the door
  • Additionally, if we are both in the car, whichever profile "won", that person's phone should connect first.

Here are my findings:
  • The solo driver profile that loads is inconsistent
  • The phone that connects first is also inconsistent

I *thought* that the inconsistency was likely just that the *other* fob was nearby on the key rack, or the other person's phone was closer. But yesterday 2 things happened that proved that I have no idea what is going on, and neither does the car:
  1. I (solo) got in the car with my phone and fob, started it for my road trip out of town
    • My profile loaded (YAY!)
    • My wife's phone connected (WHAT?!?) and she was in the house in the room above the garage watching tiktoks
    • So there goes the "preferred phone" theory of operation! Mine was both favored in my profile AND inside the car
  2. I (solo) got in the car 2 hours from home/wife, started it for my road trip back home
    • My wife's profile loaded (WHAT?!?) even though her fob was 2 hours away
    • My phone connected (YAY!) naturally since hers was 2 hours away
So based on what happened to me away from home in #2, I can no longer blame it on "too many keys" confusing the car. That one should have in no way shape or form loaded my wife's profile. I searched around the forums and found others with wrong profiles loading but nothing definitively saying that my situation #2 above occurred so I thought it was car confusion as well.

The good news is we can always use the physical button for profile loading when it's wrong. It's just odd that a feature well documented and has been around a few years is this buggy. Has anyone figured out the issue and a workaround (besides the buttons)?

Regarding the "wrong phone" connecting, I think it is just luck of the draw on which phone's scan cycle aligns with the car's scan cycle first. The randomness seems pretty consistent with our other vehicles. It kind of makes selecting "favorite" phone per profile a moot point though.
Sponsored

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I've been having some similar behavior with PAAK. Occasionally when I access the car (alone), it selects the guest profile. I don't always even notice it right away because guest profile doesn't change the seat settings, but then I'll notice that my software settings aren't correct and realize it's not using my profile.

For PAAK I wondered if this behavior relates to FordPass getting into a bad state (needing to be restarted). Haven't really tested out this theory.

flapjake314

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
i completely agree it is inconsistent so i just press the button on the door when there is a switch (it is consistently on the prior driver's profile, just not consistently good at recognizing the driver has changed)

if the button didn't exist this would drive me mad but pressing the button on the way in isn't too bad

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
i completely agree it is inconsistent so i just press the button on the door when there is a switch (it is consistently on the prior driver's profile, just not consistently good at recognizing the driver has changed)

if the button didn't exist this would drive me mad but pressing the button on the way in isn't too bad
The buttons on the door position the seat and mirrors, but donā€™t actually load the associated profile, correct? Thatā€™s how I thought they functioned, anyway.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Even better - When I had the BC update installed, the car stopped recognizing profiles corresponding to our phones. It stays wherever it was set last.

The seat button can select a profile, and so can the main screen. The profiles show which phone is associated, but it no longer works. (meaning if I am the only person in the car, unlock with my phone, it needs to select my profile... this does not work)

Any ideas?

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
The MME doesnā€™t always recognize PaaK. Iā€™m used to pressing my seat position button, setting profile from the console, changing phone off my wifeā€™s, to mine. Sheā€™s the primary driver.

IMO, Iā€™m so used to doing this routine that it doesnā€™t bother me.

notaek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
The MME doesnā€™t always recognize PaaK. Iā€™m used to pressing my seat position button, setting profile from the console, changing phone off my wifeā€™s, to mine.

IMO, Iā€™m so used to doing this routine that it doesnā€™t bother me.
Same...just another thing we have to get used to until it's fixed, if ever :rolleyes:

OP
OP
daemonic3

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

I would have *thought* it always defaulted to most recent driver, until my situation #2 occurred and I was 2 hours from my wife's fob and days since she drove it. Now I'm baffled at their decision heuristics because that would have at least made sense to me.

OP
OP
daemonic3

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The buttons on the door position the seat and mirrors, but donā€™t actually load the associated profile, correct? Thatā€™s how I thought they functioned, anyway.
The door button does the full shebang! I don't have the full list of per-profile settings, but it is more than just seat+mirrors. For sure it does drive mode, ambient lighting, station presets, and climate. There are various driver assistance and other settings too that aren't super important to me but I remember seeing a list of every per-profile settings somewhere out there.

Tyldum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag
It's a lot better than it used to be, I'll tell you that. On rare occasions will I get the guest profile (both with PaaK and fob).

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Same...just another thing we have to get used to until it's fixed, if ever :rolleyes:
Lifeā€™s too short to be bothered. Everything important has been dependable. Itā€™ll be 1 year August 31st.

ShaggySS

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD
Occupation
IT Nerd
Country flag
Another Sacramento Owner. Congrats. I am a month in and experienced issues with the profile until someone pointed out under the profile menu you have to assign your phone to the profile. You'd think it is done as part of the PAAK setup but it did not. As soon as I did that mine functioned much better. My car is in the shop so I can't get a screen shot but go to Profile screen...

OP
OP
daemonic3

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Another Sacramento Owner. Congrats. I am a month in and experienced issues with the profile until someone pointed out under the profile menu you have to assign your phone to the profile. You'd think it is done as part of the PAAK setup but it did not. As soon as I did that mine functioned much better. My car is in the shop so I can't get a screen shot but go to Profile screen...
Yep! Under the profiles screen, my wife's shows a fob assigned to her, and mine has a fob and my PAAK assigned to it. I originally thought perhaps my assignments got "forgotten" by the car but nope they are still there.

It should be working! I can show my screen later when I get around to it as well.

jbooth

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit, Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Lifeā€™s too short to be bothered. Everything important has been dependable. Itā€™ll be 1 year August 31st.
Disagree on this one. Need to get in the car, parallel parked, with traffic? Hit the button and go to get in and can't because it is busy moving the seat forward to the wrong profile is potentially dangerous because it delays you getting in and the door shut.

For the OP: same issues. In some ways it feels like the car is trying to be predictive about who (you know, for the one keyfob they originally shipped with the car) kinda like the nav system likes to predict where to go and is usually stupid/wrong because we aren't driving to work daily so it can't figure out our schedule.

I mean, part of the reason we went Mach E was memory seats and mirrors, vs something like the Bolt, which didn't have them. To have it not function reliably is pretty bad.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
The door button does the full shebang! I don't have the full list of per-profile settings, but it is more than just seat+mirrors. For sure it does drive mode, ambient lighting, station presets, and climate. There are various driver assistance and other settings too that aren't super important to me but I remember seeing a list of every per-profile settings somewhere out there.
Good infoā€¦.thanks!
Sponsored