iPod Classic & Mach-e: Can they ever be compatible?

OP
OP
ArthurDOB

ArthurDOB

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium AWD STD Range (Delivered 5/22/23)
Occupation
High School Teacher
Country flag
connecting my iPod to a car is not a new problem. Back then my car had no USB port. i ended up with a solution that still works: a Belkin iPod Tune FM. Basically it turns the iPod into a radio transmitter!
Wow. You had to dig deep to find this dormant thread! 😃

I've heard of those transmitters. If you read through my posts, I'm interested in controlling it and viewing metadata through the 15.5" screen, and that won't do it.

I'm taking delivery soon, so I'm about to find out for certain that it won't work. I still hold out hope until I see for myself that it won't. I'll probably use a small, high-capacity flash drive instead and make my own playlists. I know that will work. I just wish I could still use "the Pod." :(
Sponsored

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, '21 MME, '17 Yukon XL
Country flag
I have that same 160G iPod.
I never tried it in the MME, but the interface in my 2012 Porsche 911 is really good.
So your very best option is to keep the iPod and buy a Porsche! LOL

For the MME, I am using a 128G USB drive with my 17,000 songs. The MME takes a long time to index it the first time, but it works fine and does get the playlists and shows the album art. (somebody posted a picture earlier in the thread) Pretty sure it is able to index the whole thing, my GMC truck has some limit so I went to a 64G drive for it and eliminated stuff I rarely listen to.

TedsMach-E

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT
Country flag
Flash memory is so cheap nowadays, I’m not sure why anyone would go through the hassle of trying to get an obsolete iPod to work. Just get one of these and leave it plugged into the USB port.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-256GB-Ultra-Flash-Drive/dp/B07857Y17V/ref=sr_1_3?crid=23OAOPP4SE7QA&keywords=256gb+slim+flash+drive&qid=1678631626&sprefix=256gb+slim,aps,109&sr=8-3&th=1
But how do you get the data, playlists etc. downloaded to this flash drive?? I need structure to my music . . .

TedsMach-E

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT
Country flag
You plug it into a computer and create a folder structure.
oh dude you are overestimating my technical knowledge! I have the iPod . . . so I plug THAT into my computer via USB, then I also plug the drive into my computer via USB, and then . . . how do I get the iPod files onto the USB? I can't see anything in the folder structure on the iPod at all (everything looks empty, even though my iPod is still full of my music files).

bdaughtry

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach E Select, 2016 Corvette
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
OK, "streamer." ;)

What people who stream don't know (or don't remember) is that there is a lot of music out there that is not available to stream. I have literally thousands of songs that will never be on any streaming service (my son's orchestra performances, bootlegs, obscure artists, etc.). I'd like to listen to them in my car using my iPod as I have for the last 11 years. If there's a way, I'll find it. I just don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone else has already done it.
There are a couple of ways to do it, all involve putting the music on i Tunes then transferring it to your phone. I have over sixty years of music on my phone and four other devices via i Tunes Match. For $24 a year, all of the music I have on i Tunes is available on up to five devices with i Tunes Match. Your music lives in the cloud and you can access it where ever, when ever you want. I have a 160GB iPod classic, it's charged and on my desk with 13,777 songs and rarely used. They all "live" on iTunes and are accessed through iTunes Match.

The key is transferring the music to CD's then copying the CD's to iTunes. And as another poster mentioned syncing that iPod with iTunes.

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 22 GTPE DMG // Previous: 21 Select CG
Country flag
100026[/ATTACH]613685, member: 3000"]
The one thing I do know, if someone says it works just fine with a Zune, I’m out of here! :p
Challenge accepted... if I can get it to turn on!

EDIT: IT WORKS... great for charging only lol. No music working as expected.

This did help me find out the original Zunes are selling for $250 and up. I guess some Guardians of the Galaxy nostalgia.

20230516_230708.jpg

Last edited:

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
So I consolidated a bunch of CDs onto a large USB drive, plugged it in and I get the same message on the big screen...
Sponsored