Is the "self parking" feature gone forever?

West1134

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Premium AWD, ER,06 Duramax,16 Acadia Denali
Country flag
So I recall when searching for a Mach E that there was a self parking feature that could not only 90* park the car, but also parallel park itself. I recall watching a video of the driver using the signal stock to indicate if it was parking on left or right side etc. My Mach E also has this parking button down by the shifter & emergency flasher button which I assume is supposed to enable that system but does essentially nothing except find me parking nearby.

Now I know there were chip shortages so things like the self parking (I assume) went without the chips like the tailgate assist feature where you can swing your foot under the tailgate to open it did. I also read that in 2023 they just discontinued the tailgate feature all together so newer cars dont have the module installed like (I think) my 2022 does.

So what about the park assist? Is that also gone, is that something I can get added back now that we're starting to see chips show back up? Do people have it on their cars and does it work well, worth having??

Note: I searched the forum but couldn't find a post that answered this question hence my post.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
There is no kit yet.

OP
OP
West1134

West1134

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There is no kit yet.
Meaning they were built without the module so we are waiting not only on a chip but also the module? OR "kit" meaning there is no "kit" aka chip to be installed by the dealers yet? Did the 2021 models have it? I recall a YouTube video from a dealer (in Canada if I recall) showing it off.

Nate880

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I have the self parking in my '21 MME GT, and it kind of works ok. I tried it out a couple times just to see if it worked and the whole process is too slow for me to use it in a real situation when I need to park. It is so much easier and quicker to just park it yourself and the 360 camera is great for checking where you are in the space if you are worried about how close you are getting to other cars or the curb.
The activation process for parallel parking requires you to press the button to activate it, click on the screen to choose how you want to park (parallel or 90* space) and hope you get through that process before you pass up the space so the system can find the right spot. Then you need to shift into neutral, and press the and hold the button again to have it park itself, but it moves the car really slowly so it takes a while to get it parked. This feature worked way better on our old 2013 Fusion we had as that version was only for parallel parking and you could still control the gas and brake so you could actually park the car somewhat quickly.

TLDR; it was on the '21 models, works ok, but too slow to be useful in most situations. Not worth worrying about and you will not miss it.

FullyCharged

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 MME Premium AWD ER (ordered)
Occupation
Supply Chain
Country flag
Meaning they were built without the module so we are waiting not only on a chip but also the module? OR "kit" meaning there is no "kit" aka chip to be installed by the dealers yet? Did the 2021 models have it? I recall a YouTube video from a dealer (in Canada if I recall) showing it off.
Ford has indicated that at some unknown point in the future, they will have a kit with unknown parts available for purchase and installation at an unknown price, that will enable this feature on your car. That is what we know.

OP
OP
West1134

West1134

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have the self parking in my '21 MME GT, and it kind of works ok. I tried it out a couple times just to see if it worked and the whole process is too slow for me to use it in a real situation when I need to park. It is so much easier and quicker to just park it yourself and the 360 camera is great for checking where you are in the space if you are worried about how close you are getting to other cars or the curb.
The activation process for parallel parking requires you to press the button to activate it, click on the screen to choose how you want to park (parallel or 90* space) and hope you get through that process before you pass up the space so the system can find the right spot. Then you need to shift into neutral, and press the and hold the button again to have it park itself, but it moves the car really slowly so it takes a while to get it parked. This feature worked way better on our old 2013 Fusion we had as that version was only for parallel parking and you could still control the gas and brake so you could actually park the car somewhat quickly.

TLDR; it was on the '21 models, works ok, but too slow to be useful in most situations. Not worth worrying about and you will not miss it.
This is the response I was looking for. Thank you!!

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Forum needs a "That" emoji

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I have the self parking in my 2021 MME First Edition. It works, but I agree with the poster above who noted it is too slow to be worth using in most situations. Living in the city, I parralel park all the time and it is just easier and faster to do it myself with the MME. I do have a 2023 F-150 Lightning, too, and it is a life saver with the truck to have the self-parking feature in that and it works extremely well, though, still a little slower than I would like when there is a line of cars behind me.

Last edited:

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Early 2022's had it (mine does), while later cars were shipped with a $325 (I think) discount since all that was included was the prep kit (presumably the Park button and not much more). I essentially never use Park Assist for the reasons mentioned by @Nate880 - too long to activate, too unpredictable in real world use (and not well suited to San Francisco streets). I've tried to have it park the car in my garage, but for some odd reason it demurs. šŸ¤£
Ford Mustang Mach-E Is the "self parking" feature gone forever? IMG_3504.JPG

jgcom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X premium, '21
Occupation
Physics prof.
Country flag
I agree. I've tried this out a few times in the last two years and it is just too slow and limited. If you know how to parallel park, just do that, perhaps aided by the car's cameras. If you don't know how to parallel park, then this feature wouldn't be reliable enough anyway. As for parking lot use, the use case is silly; it just centers between two cars, (I think) ignoring the marked lines. Who does that?

I'd love to reprogram that button.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Ford has indicated that at some unknown point in the future, they will have a kit with unknown parts available for purchase and installation at an unknown price, that will enable this feature on your car. That is what we know.
Don't hold your breath...

We are still waiting on replacement headlight switches that were supposed to be available last November.

A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium 4X
Country flag
I have the self parking in my 2021 MME First Edition. It works, but I agree with the poster above who noted it is too slow to be worth using in most situations. Living in the city, I parralel park all the time and it is just easier a d faster to do it myself with the MME. I do have a 2023 F-150 Lightning, too, and it is a life saver with the truck to ha e the self-parking feature in that and it works extremely well, though, still a little slower than I would like when there is a line of cars behind me.
The two times Iā€™ve tried to use it in a parallel parking situation, it was so slow other cars behind me crept up too close since it took so long and the car couldnā€™t do it. Iā€™ve tried it twice in quieter situations to back into a spot and both times had to take control back because it was uncomfortably close to backing into another car. I donā€™ doubt Iā€™ll ever use the feature again. It could be good, it just isnā€™t.
Sponsored

Last edited: