Is there a correlation between fast charging and HVB issues?

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
There is no correlation with DC fast charging using the data that has been collected in this forum. The correlation is with high speed driving.
Define high speed. Is it over 70, 80, 90? Or people just said they were going quick?
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I took a 7000 mile road trip around the southwest when I took delivery of my Mache (RWD, Ext Batt.) during the month of September, and within 2 days of fast charging I lost 50 miles of range overall, then it settled there for the rest of the trip. As a side point, the only time I had to change my route was going to Page, AZ., I had to go around the west side of Grand Canyons from Flagstaff through St. George, UT., then Kanab, UT., to get the charging I needed to make it to Page, which had a slow charger at a hotel I stayed at. Back to my battery, since I have gotten back the lost range has increased to 100 miles, I'm fortunate to get 200 miles at 90% charged, and that's with an extended range battery. Before the trip, I charged it to 100% one time and got 325 miles of range. Also, the regenerating feature is almost nil. This was all before temperatures in the northwest started to drop. I just turned over 10k miles so am going to arrange the 10k checkup at my dealer and see if they see anything (who, by the way, found a way to give me my agreed to price for my car even though Ford raised their MSRP and battery prices from the time I ordered the car to the time it arrived) (Fugate Ford in Enumclaw WA., GREAT dealer). No errors, recently got firmware update that said it would better protect my HVB against fast charging "because we know you like to fast charge". Creepy. So, I understand your concern, Kitten. My first post...Any thoughts about my battery situation would be appreciated...I love the car.
You have no battery issues.

Your lost range was not lost. It was the vehicle's Guess-O-Meter reacting to your driving and conditions. You got lower miles per kilowatt than the factory default, and it adjusted to your driving, exactly as it is supposed to.

The displayed range is based on your driving history, and temps. The temps in Washington have dropped some, and therefore the range is lower than the day you got it when you had no driving history and it was warmer.

Ford knows everything you do with the car, so there is no creepiness about it. If you didn't understand this from day 1, now you do.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Define high speed. Is it over 70, 80, 90? Or people just said they were going quick?
If I recall correctly, its just not high speed, but rather passing (?flooring it) to pass while at sustain freeway speed.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I'm not sure if anyone has done a mathematical analysis to say that there is no correlation. Does the HVBJB wear out over time or does it overheat and fail all at once? Conventional wisdom would say that it usually wears out over time with causing more resistance and therefore more heat until it dies/melts. So therefore DC fast charging will have some affect, especially if you floor the car up a long grade immediately after DC Fast charging.
There is no definitive way to trigger the failure. PERIOD. There are practices that MAY cause the failure to be more LIKELY. DC fast charging followed by WOT might be one.

I communicated with someone that knows. They confirmed that there is no definitive way to cause failure, because in reality SOME of the HVBJB are fine, and will never fail. I offered to let them drive it to cause a failure, and got laughter as a response - because there is no way to guarantee failure.

dnlsatriani

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
I charge my car only on fast chargers no issue so far. Got the car fully operational in September and fast charge every Sunday and sometimes twice if i have to do road trip.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
There is no definitive way to trigger the failure. PERIOD. There are practices that MAY cause the failure to be more LIKELY. DC fast charging followed by WOT might be one.

I communicated with someone that knows. They confirmed that there is no definitive way to cause failure, because in reality SOME of the HVBJB are fine, and will never fail. I offered to let them drive it to cause a failure, and got laughter as a response - because there is no way to guarantee failure.
No absolute way to cause a failure at any one particular time, but definitely increase the likelihood of failure base on certain actions. Like smoking, doesn't guarantee you'll get lung cancer, but much higher incident than if you don't smoke.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Many of the failures have occured while driving well over 80 mph. Again, this is just the data collected here in the forum which of course is a limited data set, but it is the only thing that seems to be a consistent factor.

Drive up the Grapevine at 100 mph, and if your HVBJB is going to fail, I bet that puts at least one foot in its grave.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I'm not sure if anyone has done a mathematical analysis to say that there is no correlation. Does the HVBJB wear out over time or does it overheat and fail all at once? Conventional wisdom would say that it usually wears out over time with causing more resistance and therefore more heat until it dies/melts. So therefore DC fast charging will have some affect, especially if you floor the car up a long grade immediately after DC Fast charging.
I am only referring to the data we have. I am sure Ford has much better data. I am saying we don't have an instance of a failure while it is being charged. Of course it could be a contributing factor, just like WOTs, but I am only looking at what we actually know. High speed has been shown by the data to be a big factor.

DadzBoyz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach-E GTPE (ordered), 20 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Software Systems Integrator
Country flag
There are two kinds of HVBJB problems.
@MachLee has done great work detailing this. The very high cut is:

1. Contactors (basically switches) get stuck in the On position, permanently.
2. Contactors get stuck in the Off position, permanently.

Both problems are essentially overheating problems.
- With DCFC, the current resistance creates more heat than the Contactors can handle, and pieces melt.
- This can also happen when the driver uses hard acceleration, which requires more energy, which is more current and resistance which, again, melts parts of the Contactors.

Ford’s initial solution was a software update that tried to measure and predict the overheating that melted the Contactors and stop, or manage, whatever process was causing it.

The ultimate resolution to the problem is to replace the the HVBJB, which contains the Contactors, with a newly spec’d replacement that can handle these currents and heat. Currently, Ford is only replacing this part when it fails. It has been suggested that this is because the problem is not universal. The melting parts may not be a product of bad design, but flawed manufacturing and quality controls, meaning not all will fail or need to be replaced.

It has been noticed that the problem is more prevalent in cars with the Extended Range Battery and All Wheel Drive.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
I am only referring to the data we have. I am sure Ford has much better data. I am saying we don't have an instance of a failure while it is being charged. Of course it could be a contributing factor, just like WOTs, but I am only looking at what we actually know. High speed has been shown by the data to be a big factor.
High speed under high load, is definitely a contributing factor. But Ford themselves also mention DC fast charging in their recall. So I'll take their word for it that DC fast charging is also a contributing factor.

VindictivePantz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MACH-E Premium AWD w/ Ext. Battery
Country flag
There are two kinds of HVBJB problems.
@MachLee has done great work detailing this. The very high cut is:

1. Contactors (basically switches) get stuck in the On position, permanently.
2. Contactors get stuck in the Off position, permanently.

Both problems are essentially overheating problems.
- With DCFC, the current resistance creates more heat than the Contactors can handle, and pieces melt.
- This can also happen when the driver uses hard acceleration, which requires more energy, which is more current and resistance which, again, melts parts of the Contactors.

Ford’s initial solution was a software update that tried to measure and predict the overheating that melted the Contactors and stop, or manage, whatever process was causing it.

The ultimate resolution to the problem is to replace the the HVBJB, which contains the Contactors, with a newly spec’d replacement that can handle these currents and heat. Currently, Ford is only replacing this part when it fails. It has been suggested that this is because the problem is not universal. The melting parts may not be a product of bad design, but flawed manufacturing and quality controls, meaning not all will fail or need to be replaced.

It has been noticed that the problem is more prevalent in cars with the Extended Range Battery and All Wheel Drive.
Nice summary!

I am confident Ford has a list of VINs, manufacturing dates, what parts and part batches were used when, what HVBJBs have failed, along with mounds of driving and diagnostic data we all agreed to share with them when creating an account.

I am also assuming there has been and is ongoing statistical analysis (maybe even some fancy ML or AI) that helps Ford understand how many failures to expect over a period of time using the data above. That data could very well say 100% failure is expected, but I suspect not. I think many on the forum assume 100%, and that's fine. Knowing how to handle it should it happen is good information to have, but living with some degree of FUD is just going to damper living life and driving a kick-butt vehicle.

Even if Ford knows it might be something close to 100% failure, they're spreading the labor risk and costs over time based on either some analysis, or maybe a little hope thrown in while running a risk with their reputation. It's the latter where they need to continually come through.

We also have to remember that this issue, while incredibly inconvenient (and frustrating in many cases), is nothing like the Takeda airbag situation where literal shrapnel was a possibility during an accident, and it's taken years to remediate. Hundreds of thousands of people had been driving a landmine a few inches from their face, daily.

Long way of saying, we don't know what we don't know, and just enjoy the vehicle (fast forward to a few days from now when it gets me now that I've typed that 😅)

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
For the vast majority of owners this is a non-issue. For a few unfortunate owners it is an issue. People having problems will always be louder and more obvious on forums like this than will be those of us who never see the issue. I use DCFC whenever I need to and drive as fast or as slow as I like. I enjoy the car.

Bottom line is exactly what others have already posted: enjoy YOUR car. :)

DadzBoyz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach-E GTPE (ordered), 20 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Software Systems Integrator
Country flag
Nice summary!

I am confident Ford has a list of VINs, manufacturing dates, what parts and part batches were used when, what HVBJBs have failed, along with mounds of driving and diagnostic data we all agreed to share with them when creating an account.

I am also assuming there has been and is ongoing statistical analysis (maybe even some fancy ML or AI) that helps Ford understand how many failures to expect over a period of time using the data above. That data could very well say 100% failure is expected, but I suspect not. I think many on the forum assume 100%, and that's fine. Knowing how to handle it should it happen is good information to have, but living with some degree of FUD is just going to damper living life and driving a kick-butt vehicle.

Even if Ford knows it might be something close to 100% failure, they're spreading the labor risk and costs over time based on either some analysis, or maybe a little hope thrown in while running a risk with their reputation. It's the latter where they need to continually come through.

We also have to remember that this issue, while incredibly inconvenient (and frustrating in many cases), is nothing like the Takeda airbag situation where literal shrapnel was a possibility during an accident, and it's taken years to remediate. Hundreds of thousands of people had been driving a landmine a few inches from their face, daily.

Long way of saying, we don't know what we don't know, and just enjoy the vehicle (fast forward to a few days from now when it gets me now that I've typed that 😅)
Ford is likely also trying to manage supply chain issues for the replacement part. Their supplier was making parts at the rate of manufacture. Now they have to make parts for manufacturing AND warranty replacements. So replacing them as they fail (rather than telling everyone w to bring their cars in before failure) is a cost saving, labor saving, and parts availability management effort.

ThatGuyLando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CR1
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
You're better off finding any issues while it's under warranty. It would suck to find an issue for sure, but more so if you are past warranty.

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
With my last issue I had driven
Yeah, thanks for that and I supplied data for the first time it happened. I was doing pretty quick, a pain afterwards but real fun at the time! It is a mustang after all. The second time last week I had been going 70-75, and had a two hour break in Costco before driving a lot slower to the chargers before it broke at the charger.
Sponsored