Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
It's kind of like having grandkids. You get to have fun with them and hand them back when you're done :)
And tell them to stop smoking...
Sponsored

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
We all have visions of the "proper order" of things. The favorite airplane I ever flew was the 747. When I think of the 747 I immediately think of the 747-200. Cause that's what I flew. Not the SP, not the -300, -400, or -800. I recognize that those are 747's, but they're not the 747. Not to me anyway.

I imagine for many it's the same way with the Mustang. But when it comes down to it, Ford decides. Just as Boeing does. The Mustang is a family of cars now. But there's still only one Mustang.*

*and in my mind, the last of those was built in 1967. ;)
I owned and competed in a 1967 Mustang CS (California Special) GT390. It also had a lot of torque. Also drum brakes on the rear, and a solid back axle. And 69% of the weight on the nose. As you went around a corner, any rain gutter would violently kick the rear out. Combined with massive power-on oversteer, the '67 left you looking out the side windows at the upcoming next corner. Fun, but not fast.

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Thats exactly what I’m saying. Ford already had performance versions of both the Edge and the Explorer that they could have made a Mach-E version of. There was no reason to use the Mustang nameplate except to get a bunch of people for whom a Mustang wasn’t practical a chance to own a mustang.
To be fair I am one of those people who the Mustang name got my attention to look closer at the car. If it was called the Edge Mach E I do not think I would of really paid much attention to it. Calling it a Mustang Mach E I know was for marketing reason.
Now using the name Mustang to me told me that Ford meant business and this was not going to be some compliance car. They are not going to risk the name Mustang for just for anything. It means it will be a good car and also meant I was willing to take the risk and buy one.
Mustang also force the engineers to go DONT F THIS UP. I do like the Mustang styling. That styling looks good and it also has a sporty feel when it drives.
That being said I do think Thunderbird might of been a better name to use but again they needed the marketing spash of the MUSTANG Brand.
I also expect in a few years I can see Mustang being dropped from the name and it being shorten to the Mach E.
Lastly this could just be ford switch Mustang from being a car to a smaller Sub brand that has a few cars in it. They all will have a sporty feel and all will be stand along cars.

Mickey the T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium, SR, RWD, Infinite Blue
Country flag
To be fair I am one of those people who the Mustang name got my attention to look closer at the car. If it was called the Edge Mach E I do not think I would of really paid much attention to it.
This describes my wife and I to a tee. We knew we needed a new EV when our i3 lease ran out and when we heard the name "Mustang" our ears perked up. We each owned a 1966 Mustang prior to meeting each other--my wife had hers in the 70s and I had mine in the 80s. Otherwise Ford really wasn't on our radar as we hadn't owned any Fords other than those Mustangs many years ago.

Would we have landed on the MME anyway if it had a different name? Maybe, since it checked several boxes for us, but I'm not actually so sure. We might have been in an ID4 instead...

jglor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Dark Matter Gray RWD Mach-E
Country flag
To be fair I am one of those people who the Mustang name got my attention to look closer at the car.
What's funny is that I saw the Mustang name first and didn't look any further because I was looking for a small SUV or CUV, so I discounted it right away, thinking it was an electrified "normal" Mustang. It was only when I was looking at the ID4 and seeing comparisons to the Mach-E that I was intrugued and dug a little deeper.
If it had been named Edge or some other Ford brand, I might have ignored it altogether. If it was boring looking, I probably would have bought an ID4.

1969Mach1Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69mach1, 11 R56S MINI, LR LR4, Mach-E IBSM.
Occupation
Minister Of Awesomeness
Country flag
So, the Mach-E is not a Mustang, but this was?
1627340779055.png
As the owner of a 1969 mach 1 I can pretty much say everyone thinks of those as Pintos, becuase mustang IIs are physical troll vehicles. They don't exist and when you see one, it was just someone putting a mustang logo on a pinto to be cool. /s. While you at it you can leave the area

<---breaks beer bottle and threatens menacingly with shanky glass.

1969Mach1Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Minister Of Awesomeness
Country flag
I can't wait to see the conflicted look on peoples faces when they call me a liberal for owning an EV and then I tell them I own a firearms business.
GM is stating a possible sedan and SUV Corvette. The SUV is closer to going into production and the price will start at $100K. They'd like to break Corvette off into it's own nameplate, separate from Chevrolet.
I have heard this as well. Much like Genesis broke free from Hyundai.

1969Mach1Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Minister Of Awesomeness
Country flag
Only one negative response so far but we have not taken it to any car shows. Me and my Wife just call it the Mach-E. If you want to call it a Mustang or not doesn’t matter to us either way!!
As a 1969 Mach 1 owner I find the newer model mach 1s more offensive than using the "mustang' name on the Mach E.

I kind of look at the Mach-E like F1 Racing series does., the Formula 1 and Formula E racing cars are both designated racing cars but use different power train etc.

OP
OP

drivenfilms

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Occupation
Videography / Photographer
Country flag
I was just called a homophobic slur by a guy in a pickup truck with a Trump flag...I was minding my own business, plugging in the Mach at a station. ???

I love the salt, if only our cars could charge off of it.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
So, the Mach-E is not a Mustang, but this was?
1627340779055.png
I’d love to get ahold of one of those and refit it with the motors out of the F-150 Lightning. Then figure out how to retune the drive package to optimize the speed ramp and the regen ramp.????

IMDIDOC

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 1970 Z-28 RS Original Owner
Occupation
Optometrist
Country flag
Sadly, the MME GT PE being the quickest production "Mustang" ever built will just add to the aggravation of the perpetually outraged crowd. The consolation prize will be ICE having the higher top speed, but I can do 0 - the speed limit (or so...) at every light.

I have always been a Chevy guy, having owned 3 generations of Camaro's and two generations of trucks. Even so, I never understood the animosity between the Camaro and Mustang people or Ford and Chevy truck people. I guess competition and tribalism are in our DNA.

I live in Scottsdale now, so Mustangs and Teslas are near the bottom of the food chain when half the cars I pass are in the 6 figure range! Pretty sure my "Mustang" is invisible to those people, so I have not heard any comments, good or bad. LOL
My 70 1/2 Camaro Z-28 and the MME are parked in the same garage. They don't seem to fight, but wait, could it be the Z in messing with the software in the MME? Lol
Sponsored