DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
Again, I’m saying everything would be exactly the same except the name. If the name matters, then respecting the names origin and legacy matters.
Not just the name, the design. I would not buy a vehicle that looks and drives like the Edge.

Look dude, there are still Mustangs available it's not like they discontinued the gas-burning couple to create the BEV. It's two flavors of design from one family. You want a Mustang coupe? Go buy one.
Sponsored

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
I'm sure there are quite a few people that can't wrap their heads around that when you tell them.
I'm a very left liberal in almost every sense of the word. I also own multiple firearms and if I'm outside of the house, there's a better than not chance I'm carrying concealed. Same with all my liberal friends.

Some righties drive Mach-Es, and some lefties carry firearms. Maybe we CAN all get along.

Maybe. :)

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
I’m saying that if they had badged this car, built exactly as it is, as an Edge Mach-E then it would have performed exactly the same way it does.

As for your question of how many Mustangs I’ve owned… it doesn’t matter. But, if it makes you happier somehow, I have owned a 1967 Coupe with a 200 inline six, a 1979 fox body with a 2.8 v6, and came within a day of owning a 1977 Coupe with a 302. (The idiot blew it up the day before I was coming to pick it up. Do I qualify to have an opinion good person?

for the record, I would love to take a Mustang II and make it a BEV.

im not bragging about the gauge cluster configs on the Mustang, I’m complaining that they gave us nowhere near the gauge config options in the Mach-E that they give real mustang owners.
It's scientifically proven that all the Mustang logos spread throughout the car make it go faster. Just scientific fact. :)

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I disagree that nobody would care about a sporty BEV SUV. This was Fords first ground up EV, it was going to garner attention whatever they called it.
The BEV Ford had on the design board before it was called a Mustang looked like an Audi e-Tron mated with an Edge Sport. Bill Ford pulled the team and said "It is going to be a Mustang." The design team scraped most of their work and created something beautiful and fun to drive.

MG101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
a car
Country flag
I don't know? The kid at the Dunkin' drive through window asked "is that the new electric mustang". Is that the electric ford/edge/explorer/taurus/probe(!)? Doesn't sound the same. Perception is everything.

Cnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Corvette Stingray, 2021 Mach E premium SR RWD
Country flag
My response is simply "and why am I interested in your opinion? The manufacturer put the Mustang label on it so that is what it is." Nuf said!
Just point to those sweet ponies all over the car, shake your head while giving them a look of dad-level disappointment, and walk away hehe.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
I can't remember if it's been mentioned in the last 10 pages of replies, but something so many people don't see coming is the Mustang brand.

Think about it for a second, they want a Mustang Brand which means they need more than just a car. Also, the car will be EV one day too anyway. Having a performance EV Mustang SUV/Crossover is the perfect bridge into all of this.

They didn't need to use the existing ICE Mustang and suddenly turn it into an EV, while at the same time people can experience a "Mustang" EV before the car becomes one. They can show the Mustang crowd what can be done with an EV before the car needs to be switched over, because one day the car will need to be switched over.

Countries are already putting up requirements to be all EV by 2030. Multiple manufactures are dedicated to being all EV by 2030. Even if a manufacturer isn't fully EV, they'll need a large offering that is EV or they'll be phased out and behind the 8 ball.

Ford will have their trucks, SUV's, and maybe a sedan or two. The rest will be a Mustang brand that has it's own performance selection. The reason the Mach E had to be an SUV is because (regrettably if you ask me) SUV's are being shoved down our throat as the "what everyone wants to buy" vehicle. They would sell far less EV Mustangs if it was a car right now vs an SUV.

Maybe things will change and they won't go with a Mustang brand, but having a Mustang EV SUV is the perfect bridge to everything they want to accomplish while not taking away what the non EV people still want to buy. That's aside from how good the Mach E looks specifically because they can use the Mustang design, otherwise they'd have to design a whole new sports vehicle with a new look that won't connect with anyone.

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
That's aside from how good the Mach E looks specifically because they can use the Mustang design, otherwise they'd have to design a whole new sports vehicle with a new look that won't connect with anyone.
So much this
I can't remember if it's been mentioned in the last 10 pages of replies, but something so many people don't see coming is the Mustang brand.

Think about it for a second, they want a Mustang Brand which means they need more than just a car. Also, the car will be EV one day too anyway. Having a performance EV Mustang SUV/Crossover is the perfect bridge into all of this.
+1063

People crazy if they think folks want a 2 door coupe muscle car for anything other than a niche product.

I can guarantee all these 'not a mustang' crowd have a non-Mustang 4-door ICE to do practical things the Mustang can't. Bunch of SUV's and CUV's and MiniVans. 99% + of the general population wants to drive normal 4 door car. Even suicide doors get no love. What's wrong in combining the 2 in one car. I have both a fast muscle grocery run type car. Instead of 2 I can have 1.

The Mustang being a 2-door relic also limits its market. I got a shock to realize the ICE Mustang struggles to get over 100,000 copies these days. There was a Ford engineer who came on and said it is getting seriously painful for Ford to support the ICE mustang and the EV expands the Mustang market and actually saves the impractical 2-door ICE coupe.

People make fun of grocery runs :rolleyes:, I had a 2003 ICE V6 Coupe Mustang to on several occasions could not fit all my Groceries, esp. with kids and I had to do 2 runs with it. My wife forced me to get rid of it after 4 months. Could not even think of a Mustang till the Mach-E came along.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Not just the name, the design. I would not buy a vehicle that looks and drives like the Edge.

Look dude, there are still Mustangs available it's not like they discontinued the gas-burning couple to create the BEV. It's two flavors of design from one family. You want a Mustang coupe? Go buy one.
By all the gods… you are dense. I am saying that if they had built this exact vehicle, that means same hardware, software, appointments, and body panels then put EDGE where they put MUSTANG it wouldn’t drive like an Edge ST. What part of that do you not understand.

If they made a BEV Mustang coupe I would have purchased that. If I’m somehow missing that option, please point it out to me. Otherwise kindly kick rocks. If it shouldn’t matter to me that they called it a Mustang, it shouldn’t matter to you either.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
So much this

+1063

People crazy if they think folks want a 2 door coupe muscle car for anything other than a niche product.

I can guarantee all these 'not a mustang' crowd have a non-Mustang 4-door ICE to do practical things the Mustang can't. Bunch of SUV's and CUV's and MiniVans. 99% + of the general population wants to drive normal 4 door car. Even suicide doors get no love. What's wrong in combining the 2 in one car. I have both a fast muscle grocery run type car. Instead of 2 I can have 1.

The Mustang being a 2-door relic also limits its market. I got a shock to realize the ICE Mustang struggles to get over 100,000 copies these days. There was a Ford engineer who came on and said it is getting seriously painful for Ford to support the ICE mustang and the EV expands the Mustang market and actually saves the impractical 2-door ICE coupe.

People make fun of grocery runs :rolleyes:, I had a 2003 ICE V6 Coupe Mustang to on several occasions could not fit all my Groceries, esp. with kids and I had to do 2 runs with it. My wife forced me to get rid of it after 4 months. Could not even think of a Mustang till the Mach-E came along.
I was given an ultimatum by my wife. Either get an SUV to put my mountain bike into when I go to NC, or don't take my bike on my NC trips since it won't fit in my Fusion (and I'm not about to drive from FL to NC at 55mph with the bike on the rack on the Fusion).

So, the SUV hunt began, I looked into the MME GT and was sold.

Now the argument is 'why do you need something so fast? That's ridiculous.'

And I say, 'well this is all your fault, I wouldn't have ordered a MME GT if you would've let me keep taking your SUV to NC for my bike. So stop complaining.'

I've tried to explain why I want a 3.8 second car over and over and over ad nauseum and I've given up. She can't fathem why I'd ever 'need' a car this fast. Well I also didn't need a supercharged 5.0 back in the day, that didn't make it any less exciting to drive.

llinthicum1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Ford Mustang, 2020 Ford Escape
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I can imagine Ford already has in the works an Affordable Mustang 2 door BEV sports coupe. Ford won't want to bring to market until all the bugs related to electric cars (range, charging times, infrastructure, etc.) have been fixed. So I don't expect to see one before 2030 model year. I think Mustang lovers will be very happy.
Ford Mustang Mach-E "iTs NoT a MuStAnG!" 1627420509531

Ford Mustang Mach-E "iTs NoT a MuStAnG!" 1627420764380