Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 1970 Z-28 RS Original Owner
Occupation
Optometrist
Country flag
When my son and I saw the MME at the Toronto auto show, we both thought What??!! No way. But like many things it grows on you. The Grabber Blue on display wasn't what I expected either.

I looked at Tesla but didn't like the styling of anything, just the S. As a retired person, that was just not in the budget. I drove the ID4 and that was a nice car, but not thrilling and not available in AWD. The MME is larger then the ID4 and base price is not much different.

I'm amazed how young people can afford expensive cars, but then again I was 23 when I purchased a new Z-28.

So us older folks with a history of performance cars want something fun to drive. In addition, if you are a techy as I am, you want toys. Okay, the MME doesn't make intestinal noises, but hey with a software update they can get the MME to burp.

Car companies are leaving the sedan market as most folks are buying a SUV. So here is a SUV that is fun to drive and has toys with tax credits. When folks ask about the Mustang name, I just say you should drive it, it is more like a Mustang than a typical SUV.

I like the phrase "It's another pony in the stable".
Sponsored

leeman

First Name
Leith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Well from a technical aspect and insurance aspect and the fact that it has quite a performing acceleration I would say it's a Mustang I would say that it's performance and overall handling is definitely comparable to older mustangs. I think more than everything people are afraid that Ford will remove the gasoline engine altogether in his Ford line of mustangs. Which did anybody hear that the Camaro was going by the wayside and they were going to turn into a four-door?

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
Not only have I driven one, I’ve put 10,000 miles on the one I’ve bought. I still don’t consider it a Mustang, and I never will.
Just curious, did you de-badge it? Remove those ponies?

tomterky

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Mustang Pony Edition Convertible; 2021 Mach E
Country flag
The Mustang Wave...I have had a Mustang Coupe convertible since 2010. From the first day I got it other Mustang coupe drivers wave as they pass by or at an intersection.

When I was driving my convertible, I saw a Mustang Mach E on the interstate and gave him a big thumbs up and a wave and he smiled and waved back with the biggest wave I've seen.

I was driving my Mustang Mach E on the interstate and a coupe GT-350 pulled up and paced me, went behind me, went in front of me, then paced me side by side again and then gave me a big smile and thumbs up.

Remember, when you see another Pony, give The Mustang Wave and keep the tradition alive!

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Just curious, did you de-badge it? Remove those ponies?
No. But I always refer to it as “My Mach-E” rather than as “My Mustang”.

Maybe I’ll get GT badges and call it a Ford GT. By your logic, that should work, right?

Just out of curiosity. Why is it so hard to believe that as strongly as you believe that it is a Mustang, you can’t fathom that other people refuse to consider it a Mustang?

HowdyDoody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
From the other side, I see the same concerns. I *am* a liberal, and I *did* vote for Biden, and absolutely none of that has to do with finally getting a (more) affordable, family sized, fully electric car that's got a good range and is fun to drive while also costing less to operate into the marketplace. We should ALL be celebrating that as far as I'm concerned.
Weird. I live in a "swing district" and one thing I've noticed is universal compliments from both the MAGA crowd who like the Ford/Murica identity of it (never mind it's assembled in Mexico) and the treehugging crowd, who like EV's. I just like it because it is enviro friendly, looks cool, and can beat any other car in the price range off the line.

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag

Maybe I’ll get GT badges and call it a Ford GT. By your logic, that should work, right?

Just out of curiosity. Why is it so hard to believe that as strongly as you believe that it is a Mustang, you can’t fathom that other people refuse to consider it a Mustang?
Whoa, I'm not casting any stones at you. I was just curious.

ABD

First Name
Alison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I’m sorry you’ve had negative experiences! I’ve had probably 100+ people comment, run over to me or pull up next to my car and only one 80 year old Tesla driver has said not a Mustang. I’m between Chicago and Wisconsin which vary heavily politically. Teenagers and 20 somethings totally geek out and 1/2 of them don’t even know what it is. Honestly it is so similar to my 90s Mustang I almost didn’t want to get it lol!
Ford Mustang Mach-E "iTs NoT a MuStAnG!" E1A9D572-0DDA-458E-9A30-F4A352679A05

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Yep, it was the TriStar. It was the best jumbo imo even though the 747 was objectively better I suppose.
Engineering on the 747 was better at the time. Boeing knew how to build airplanes back then. The L-1011 had a load of problems that made it late to market. It also nearly killed off Lockheed. The biggest issue it had though was that it was never really updated, unlike its direct competitor, the DC-10.

Airplanes or cars, they all need to evolve and continue filling their market. If not, they're history.

To be fair I am one of those people who the Mustang name got my attention to look closer at the car. If it was called the Edge Mach E I do not think I would of really paid much attention to it. Calling it a Mustang Mach E I know was for marketing reason.
Now using the name Mustang to me told me that Ford meant business and this was not going to be some compliance car. They are not going to risk the name Mustang for just for anything. It means it will be a good car and also meant I was willing to take the risk and buy one.
Mustang also force the engineers to go DONT F THIS UP. I do like the Mustang styling. That styling looks good and it also has a sporty feel when it drives.
That being said I do think Thunderbird might of been a better name to use but again they needed the marketing spash of the MUSTANG Brand.
I also expect in a few years I can see Mustang being dropped from the name and it being shorten to the Mach E.
Lastly this could just be ford switch Mustang from being a car to a smaller Sub brand that has a few cars in it. They all will have a sporty feel and all will be stand along cars.
that’s an excellent analysis. I agree 100%.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag

It’s not hard to understand at all I think Joe. I understand your point completely. I disagree, but I do understand it.

This isn’t like we’re talking about something important like the best flavor of ice cream*. We’re entitled to disagree. This is about a badge on a car.

Much angst about very little by a few MME owners imo. If someone doesn’t like the Mustang part of Mach-e, that’s ok by me. Their opinion does not change the fact that I have a really cool car that’ll beat them off the line … unless HPD is watching of course. :p

Enjoy your car @JoeDimwit. Call it a Mach-e. For the record that’s what I call mine too.

* Lilikoi** mochi ice cream***. Duh.

** Passion Fruit.
*** uh … Google mochi ice cream. There’s probably a Wikipedia entry on it too.

Xenotet

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 Ford Focus ST, ‘21 Toyota Venza Ltd
Occupation
Chemical Engineer
Country flag
It’s not hard to understand at all I think Joe. I understand your point completely. I disagree, but I do understand it.

This isn’t like we’re talking about something important like the best flavor of ice cream*. We’re entitled to disagree. This is about a badge on a car.

Much angst about very little by a few MME owners imo. If someone doesn’t like the Mustang part of Mach-e, that’s ok by me. Their opinion does not change the fact that I have a really cool car that’ll beat them off the line … unless HPD is watching of course. :p

Enjoy your car @JoeDimwit. Call it a Mach-e. For the record that’s what I call mine too.

* Lilikoi** mochi ice cream***. Duh.

** Passion Fruit.
*** uh … Google mochi ice cream. There’s probably a Wikipedia entry on it too.
Totally. This thread is getting so toxic. On a forum for Mustang Mach E enthusiasts. Ugh.

Also, mochi is the best. I’ve been obsessed with it almost as much as the MME ?

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I agree @JohnnyForensic -- I'm actually not liberal OR conservative but I actually care about what I leave behind for future generations. I also enjoy not having to pay $50+ for a tank of gas ;)
That's a small tank here in California!

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
Ah, such angst. The name Mustang was used to sell cars. Ford gets to call it whatever they want. And, by the way, this social media controversy sells cars. They're getting exactly what they want from the naming. I think it was a brilliant move.

Additionally, the Mustang name means a lot to Ford. Maybe their biggest prized possession. This is good for us as owners as they can't afford to screw it up. They'll fix the problems.

intoMME

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD Select w/Tech Pkg. Infinity Blue
Country flag
To be honest, when I saw the first picture of the Mach E, I thought...that does not look like a Mustang. When I went on my first test drive, I thought...this does not drive like a Mustang. I was underwhelmed by the California Route 1. I thought, maybe if I drove the GT or the AWD, I would like it more. Then, a few months later, I drove a Nissan Leaf, and thought I could definitely revisit the Mach E. I was able to find a dealer with two Mach E Mustangs. I drove the premium with rwd and then the select with AWD. Once I accepted that this car is a crossover/suv instead of a sports car, I had a better appreciation for it. I like the Mustang cues and don't mind the name, but I do think it could have just been called the Mach E and that would be cool. Next time an ICE owning Mustang owner gives you a hard time, remind them about the Mustang II, the awful 80s Mustangs, and the SVO. I mean, a "real Mustang" has a V8 with a carburetor and a live rear axle. I previously owned a 4 door Mini Cooper, which "real Mini" owners despised. I love my Mustang Mach E and don't care what anyone else thinks about it.

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
What many do not realize is the birth of the modern EV at Ford. Team Edison created an EV to present as the modern day EV. Unfortunatly, like many others, looked like a bad science project. The Mustang philosophy was suggested and what we see now is the result. For any wondering about the motivation behind naming it a Mustang, there is a Making of the Mach E video on youtube Ford created to explain.

While there may speculation on the Mustang becoming a sub-brand for corporate, EV efforts, current gov't incedntives ala Volvo/Polstar structure, the video explains things quite well.

The fact that the origainl Mustang started out as a secretary special and then became a performance icon as time passed and tweaking at Ford and performance was the norm. I challenge any non belivers to take a look at the Mach E 1400 and say it is not a Mustang.
Sponsored