Jdapter and TeslaTap charging adapters?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
After thinking about it, I'll stick with the 50A unit I have. Upgrading would cost $80 more, plus $20 shipping plus the cost of shipping mine back. It'll just take up a little more space in the back under the floor. Besides, I know it tested out fine on my Leaf!
I think that's the right call. You'll be fine with the 50A, and you probably won't end up using it all that much anyway. If you could swap it for free, sure, but not for over $100 difference since you already have one that will work.
Sponsored

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
After thinking about it, I'll stick with the 50A unit I have. Upgrading would cost $80 more, plus $20 shipping plus the cost of shipping mine back. It'll just take up a little more space in the back under the floor. Besides, I know it tested out fine on my Leaf!
There are a couple of resorts out here with Tesla Destination Chargers. One we frequent whenever we want to pay too much for a good seafood dinner. I’ll probably get one for those occasions.

My Mach-e accessory supply far exceeds my Mach-e supply at this moment. I have placed each in the precise location they’d be in if they were in the Mach-e. If. ;)

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
When drawing constant current for more than three hours, the draw should be no more than 80% of the rated capacity. So, since the MME can draw up to 48A it is recommended to get the 80A teslatap (or this new minitap). If the charger you're plugging into only does 40A max, then the 50A teslatap is OK.
Also, Dave, the guy who makes the Tesla Tap, has tested them to 150A for two hours and found they hold up just fine.

The 50 is 2/3 the cost of the 80 or the mini.

As has been stated before, if you plan to use it rarely, the 50 should be fine. If you will use it regularly at greater than 40A then you should definitely go with the 80 or the mini 60 (http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=146_)
Mini-60 is back in stock at $260.
http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=146

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Also, Dave, the guy who makes the Tesla Tap, has tested them to 150A for two hours and found they hold up just fine.
I wonder how this test works. What is the 150A load for those hours? How does he deal with all the heat of whatever it is?

Just curious.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I wonder how this test works. What is the 150A load for those hours? How does he deal with all the heat of whatever it is?

Just curious.
Didn't ask details. He volunteered that the ran the test at 150A because that was as high as his test equipment went.

ArtyMachy

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 2021 Select AWD
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
This is not for use on the Tesla Supercharger network. It’s for use on private charging stations that cater to Tesla. Like you might find at a winery or hotel.
Exaclty! only for Level 2 Tesla chargers. I would use it when I go skiing. Most mountain near my area have 80% of Tesla chargers so it would be easier for me to get a spot with this adapter.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I thought Tesla billed their users automatically via handshaking through a datalink in their charging cable. How do you pay to use these?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I thought Tesla billed their users automatically via handshaking through a datalink in their charging cable. How do you pay to use these?
That‘s only for Superchargers. These adapters don’t work with those.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How do they bill these?
Currently (or last I heard anyway), tesla Destination Chargers are free to the guests of the host establishment. There were rumblings though that they were going to begin to start charging for these. I haven't seen anything on that -- yet. I also don't own a Tesla so I'm not exactly watching for further developments.

https://www.electrive.com/2020/08/12/tesla-considers-charging-for-destination-charger/

(that's an EU based website but I presume the info applies to NA as well.)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Currently (or last I heard anyway), tesla Destination Chargers are free to the guests of the host establishment. There were rumblings though that they were going to begin to start charging for these. I haven't seen anything on that -- yet. I also don't own a Tesla so I'm not exactly watching for further developments.

https://www.electrive.com/2020/08/12/tesla-considers-charging-for-destination-charger/
They would have to install new hardware as the old systems don't have any way to do this.
Is Elon getting short on cash?

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They would have to install new hardware as the old systems don't have any way to do this.
Is Elon getting short on cash?
You're correct. The feature is found in their new "third-generation" hardware apparently.
Sponsored