Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Just to follow up on a question that wasn't answered: does anyone know if using an adapter could trigger a Ford warranty issue?
Thanks in advance!
There is no reason for an adapter to void a warranty. Adapters are just one more way to charge your car using level 2. There is no mention of them being a problem in the owner's manual, either.
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
There is no reason for an adapter to void a warranty. Adapters are just one more way to charge your car using level 2. There is no mention of them being a problem in the owner's manual, either.
There are a few warnings not to do this in the owners manual.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Jdapter and TeslaTap charging adapters? Screenshot_20220329-080345

Ford Mustang Mach-E Jdapter and TeslaTap charging adapters? Screenshot_20220329-080621

MWJunior

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-e Premium
Occupation
retired commercial photographer
Country flag
I agree with Jim and Rick. I can see no viable reason why using an adapter to get a L2 charge could void the warranty.

However, if you get a cheap adapter and it melts into the car's charging port, the repair will not be covered by Ford. Which is common sense, but just putting it out there.
Thanks for the feedback. I just got confirmation from my Ford dealership tech rep that using an adapter will not negatively impact warranties. So, after talking to the TeslaTap owner who recommended the 60A rather than the 50A for the MME, ordered the TeslaTap Mini 60A.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
It's not a problem. The MME should lock the J1772 into the charge port when the car itself is locked.
as it turns out, Ford should lock the charge port door too. I came back to my car in the parking lot to find someone had been investigating it.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Jdapter and TeslaTap charging adapters? 13027BBA-F5D2-426F-8B16-65FF2C134997

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
as it turns out, Ford should lock the charge port door too. I came back to my car in the parking lot to find someone had been investigating it.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Jdapter and TeslaTap charging adapters? 13027BBA-F5D2-426F-8B16-65FF2C134997
My charge door opens on its own sometimes. A few times while parked, and a few times while driving.

But yeah a lock would help with that issue, too.

smd95

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang GT
Country flag
Is anyone concerned that someone may walk away with an adapter? I don't see any way of locking the adapter to my MME, but it wouldn't be too difficult to DIY a cable that could affix to my MME in some way. Seems like a pain but for $200 I don't want the thing to walk away.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Is anyone concerned that someone may walk away with an adapter? I don't see any way of locking the adapter to my MME, but it wouldn't be too difficult to DIY a cable that could affix to my MME in some way. Seems like a pain but for $200 I don't want the thing to walk away.
I'm not concerned about it. But if you're concerned, just make sure to get an adapter that has a hole for a padlock.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes. My TeslaTap has a hole on the trigger for a lock (which I use a luggage lock on, knowing that they're not extremely secure but at least it takes a little work).

I'm hoping the CCS-NACS adapter we're getting next year for Superchargers simply locks onto the charger when in use. But even then, seems like all someone has to do is hit the stop button on the charge port to end the session, unplug the car, and steal the adapter at that point while we're inside the store/restaurant/bathroom.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I'm not concerned about it. But if you're concerned, just make sure to get an adapter that has a hole for a padlock.
I am not concerned and have rarely used it. I might look for a locking option if I used it regularly.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I have two adapters. Both lock to the charging cord. Tesla Tap also can be locked on the vehicle, I expect none of these new adapters to lock to the vehicle, just to the charging cord.
Sponsored