Ford adapters for Tesla charging stations?

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
If you want a MME with a NACS connector buy a 2025 model when it becomes available, otherwise an adapter will be needed to use non-magic docked Tesla chargers.
The 2025 MME probably won’t have a native NACS port. The one Ford vehicle that is supposed to have NACS is a second generation EV.

“In 2025, Ford will offer next-generation electric vehicles with the North American Charging Standard (NACS) connector built-in”

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...n-access-to-12-000-tesla-superchargers--.html
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Ok, but Tesla did it, and Ford is planning on doing it….. so I would bet that Ford has that part worked out.
No doubt. Future models will have it.

But my comment was in the context of the challenges of retrofitting. Tesla has never retrofitted a J1772/CCS vehicle to NACS.

RandyMache

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach e Premium
Occupation
Private Investigator
Country flag
I fail to understand the reason you care about this.

First, Tesla did what? Design their cars to charge with their chargers?

Second, dealerships have labor charges of $125 per hour or higher. Are you willing to pay $1 - $2,000, or more with parts?

Third, Tesla charges non-Teslas slower than EA does. Why would you want that?

Fourth, Tesla charges more than other companies to charge.

Lastly, there will be more CCS chargers in the US, thanks to the Infrastructure Bill, a target of 500,000 total new chargers. A large percentage will be CCS, and remain that way for many years. Why would you want Tesla?
While you are making some interesting points, I am unaware as to what you’re saying is fact or your own assumptions. I think the Tesla charger connector is a simpler connector, but that aside, I am a little excited to add many thousands of new chargers for our MME’s. I’m simply having a conversation. It is not important that you care about what I wish to talk about. We can not converse anymore if it upsets you, that is not my intention….. In fact, I will just leave it at that. Thank you very much for all your comments, I wish you well. I will carry my conversation on this topic elsewhere. Take care sir.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
While you are making some interesting points, I am unaware as to what you’re saying is fact or your own assumptions. I think the Tesla charger connector is a simpler connector, but that aside, I am a little excited to add many thousands of new chargers for our MME’s. I’m simply having a conversation. It is not important that you care about what I wish to talk about. We can not converse anymore if it upsets you, that is not my intention….. In fact, I will just leave it at that. Thank you very much for all your comments, I wish you well. I will carry my conversation on this topic elsewhere. Take care sir.
While the Tesla connector is simpler, it requires a completely different contactor arrangement inside the car to make it safe. CCS has more pins because the developers of that standard did not want to have any possible fialure mode that could short AC voltage to DC voltage, or vice versus. Tesla has decided they can rely on software to do that job, and of course we all know that software never has any bugs. LOL

briankwest

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lighting, 2023 Mustang Mach-e GTPE
Country flag
"...and Tesla does whatever it needs to do to get its chargers ready..." This is the proverbial technical and process black hole that I'm missing.

As we used to say in IT when a key piece of architecture or process flow is missing "That is where the magic happens."
Considering that the cars can already charge on the Super Chargers with MagicDock, that isn't going to be an issue, and fordpass is how you'll activate the chargers once an approved adapter is made available. They are being added to the Blue Oval Network, even says they'll be added on the BO networks page.

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
Considering that the cars can already charge on the Super Chargers with MagicDock, that isn't going to be an issue, and fordpass is how you'll activate the chargers once an approved adapter is made available. They are being added to the Blue Oval Network, even says they'll be added on the BO networks page.
Agree at the MagicDock stations.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
But today the Tesla network doesn't communicate with Ford. That handshake, Ford to Tesla, including Plug and Charge, has to be created, and work flawlessly.

briankwest

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
But today the Tesla network doesn't communicate with Ford. That handshake, Ford to Tesla, including Plug and Charge, has to be created, and work flawlessly.
Their page about Blue Oval does state that they'll be adding the Super Chargers in Spring 2024, So for them to have that published, they must already be working on these integration steps, and I suspect it's the push to get Charge Assist out the door too, so they keep the eyes in the Ford Garden as much as possible, I do not expect to be able to activate a supercharger any other way but via the FordPass app or Charge Assist, and possibly Plug & Charge if they get that worked out.

Space_Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Premium Mach-E awdX
Country flag
Will Plug and Charge show the two subscription rates for Tesla? They can't do that with EA.

briankwest

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Will Plug and Charge show the two subscription rates for Tesla? They can't do that with EA.
I suspect you'll get the non-member pricing like we do with EA on P&C, Ford really does need to fix that ASAP.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I can't even get my second key fob that they are required to give me off the recall. I highly doubt we will see free adapters lol Ford might say they will do it, but we won't ever see it... just like my fob... :(

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I can't even get my second key fob that they are required to give me off the recall. I highly doubt we will see free adapters lol Ford might say they will do it, but we won't ever see it... just like my fob... :(
Did you make an appointment with your dealer to get the fob? (not that it matters, but it’s a CSP not a recall).

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag