Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD Space White
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
A fellow MME owner and I just tried to charge on a Tesla destination charger with a TeslaTap Mini 60A and a TeslaTap Standard 60A, respectively. The Tesla chargers appeared to recognize each converter as they went from green to blue upon plugging in to the charging cable. However, when we plugged into each car, charging did not commence as usual. The car recognized the cable was attached with the standard white light "loading sequence" in the charging port, but nothing happened after, just the standard charge level light indication.

Has anyone else experienced this? Did Tesla update the charging station software?

If someone could verify if other devices still work on other charging stations, that would be great. Otherwise, we may have a problem...
Sponsored

hawkeye3point1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White ER RWD, Born on 12 Aug. '21
Country flag
Did Tesla update the charging station software?
Newer Tesla EVSEs can be set to only work with their cars I believe. I have used the Lectron adapter recently with no problem.

OP
OP
Rickless

Rickless

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD Space White
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Newer Tesla EVSEs can be set to only work with their cars I believe. I have used the Lectron adapter recently with no problem.
It's strange because I charged on the same station 2 days ago with no problem. 🤷‍♂️ Looks like I'll have to find a new charger going forward.

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
Teslataps are very finicky about the 30 second warm up before connecting the cord and teslataps to the vehicle.

Connect the adapter to the cord.
Wait at least 30 seconds.
Connect to car.

I haven't had a problem with mine since the first attempt and learning experience.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Teslataps are very finicky about the 30 second warm up before connecting the cord and teslataps to the vehicle.

Connect the adapter to the cord.
Wait at least 30 seconds.
Connect to car.

I haven't had a problem with mine since the first attempt and learning experience.
Facts.

I use the stopwatch on my phone to ensure I waited at least 30 seconds.

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GTPE; 2022 MME Premium ER
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Most Tesla Wall Chargers used as destination chargers aren't Wi-Fi enabled. Mine at home is not, and it works just fine with my TeslaTap Mini 60 amp adapter.

I haven't tried the adapter at the destination chargers around here, but I can't imagine there would be a problem. Perhaps the failure to charge is in the MME rather than the charger?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Got my TeslaTap, went to a local hotel and tested it. Worked fine.

Avelli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E91 6MT RWD, 22 MME GT
Country flag
Had mine for 9 months. Finally got to try it out at the hotel and... Bupkis. Waited the requisite 30 seconds to no avail. Really bummed about this.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Good to know.

BTW - I've used my TeslaTap 60Amp at least 30 times in several states... never a problem.

Others?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Had mine for 9 months. Finally got to try it out at the hotel and... Bupkis. Waited the requisite 30 seconds to no avail. Really bummed about this.
The EVSE may have been set to only allow Teslas to charge.

CarsIMBwife

First Name
Rosie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4x
Occupation
Retired Data Analyst
Country flag
Purchased a TeslaTap two years ago for safety on road trips. Used it for the first time this past weekend at a hotel in Shakopee, MN. It worked flawlessly.

digdug52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E 4X, 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I have had my TeslaTap for over 2 years to charge the MME on my second gen Tesla Wall Connector. I never have had an issue with it charging the car. I wait 30 seconds after connecting the Wall Connector to the adapter before plugging in. I have forget 1 or 2 times and not had an issue, but I usually plug in in evening but the car is not scheduled to start charging until 1 AM so maybe the 30 second wait is not as important when not immediately charging.

I agree that the settings in the destination charger might have been changes to the Tesla vehicles only setting, if it was a third generation unit as the first and second generation do not have this setting.

Testing your TeslaTap on a different destination charger that is known to work might be a way to verify or eliminate your adapter is the issue.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I used mine this week in a parking garage and it started charging (twice) then faulted out minutes later. Hoping it's just a flaky charger. I'll try again next week in the same garage but with a different charger this time.

Last successful charge with it was about 2 months ago.
Sponsored