Louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TBD
Country flag
I think it only does that with DCFC plugs.
[edited for accuracy and reality]
My experience with a previous car (Porsche Taycan), is that all charging sessions lock the connector to the car. You need to push a button next to the charging port to ask the car to end the session and release the cable. AC and DC sessions.

Last edited:

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
My experience with various cars, is that ALL charging sessions lock the connector to the car. You need to push a button next to the charging port to ask the car to end the session and release the cable. AC and DC sessions.
My experience has been the opposite, so it completely depends on the car. But for the MME specifically, the owner's manual describes the process for stopping a charge session for both L2 and L3 chargers. For L3, it says to push the button to unlock the plug from the car. For L2, it just says to push the latch on the plug and pull it out.

Louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TBD
Country flag
My experience has been the opposite, so it completely depends on the car. But for the MME specifically, the owner's manual describes the process for stopping a charge session for both L2 and L3 chargers. For L3, it says to push the button to unlock the plug from the car. For L2, it just says to push the latch on the plug and pull it out.
Right! Apparently I should RTFM! :)

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Yes, it's rated for 50A, which is 12kW at 240V. In all likelihood, the MME pulling a sustained 48A would be totally fine with the 50A version. But it puts it closer to the safety margin than is recommended. It would probably get warmer than the 80A version, but not hot enough to cause any problems if everything's working correctly. I think the safety margin is really recommended in case something is not working correctly and ends up pulling more than it should.
@generaltso is correct.

I reached out to Tesla Tap and they recommend the 80A adapter not the 50A version for a 48A continuous load.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
If you’re buying a new one right now, I’d go with the 80A or Mini to keep all your options open. If you already have a 50A, I don’t think it’s worth upgrading unless you plan to use it all the time. My old one was 32A, so I went with the 80A. I would have gone with the Mini if it was available a few weeks ago.
Agreed. I'm wondering now if I can trade my 50 in for a mini.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agreed. I'm wondering now if I can trade my 50 in for a mini.
Give them a call. I’m not sure what their return policy is, but you didn’t get it that long ago, so I bet they’d let you exchange it.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
[edited for accuracy and reality]
My experience with a previous car (Porsche Taycan), is that all charging sessions lock the connector to the car. You need to push a button next to the charging port to ask the car to end the session and release the cable. AC and DC sessions.
My experience with the Leaf is exactly the opposite. It does not lock either unless you specifically engage the lock. These are vehicle-dependent features. So neither your Taycan experiences nor my Leaf experiences tell us what the Mach E will do, only a range of possible options.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Right - I wasn't trying to imply that they had some special lock, only that because they offer it, maybe my concerns about theft might be valid. The last thing I need is another key to carry!
It really depends on the area where you leave it plugged in. If a creep sees a mobile charger or adapter and knows it has value, there's nothing stopping them from just grabbing it and taking off. If they really want it, a padlock isn't going to stop them, but it should at least prevent casual thievery.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag