Mach-E at the Car Wash - Best Practices

Plutoman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Excursion, Expedition
Country flag
When I had it done, it looked like the paint was freshly waxed, maybe a bit shinier looking than a wax job. I forgot to mention that it prevents your car from getting mineral spots on it too, which is a big plus for me since my car is parked on the street and gets sprayed by my sprinklers every few days.

I tested this coating myself by taking my car key and digging into the paint with the full weight of my body... and didn't even leave a scratch on it. It's well worth the money. I would imagine if you got into a fender bender then recoating the one panel would be fine. You really can't tell there's anything extra on the car, except for the very glossy shine. This product also beads water better than wax.

I don't think dealers apply this product. Everything I've seen coming from a dealership with their paint projection isn't nearly as good as this stuff. Like Dkuhnke said above, you'll need to find a shop that applies it. In my area there's only one last time I checked.

Here's a link to the product website: https://ceramicpro.com/ceramic-coating-for-cars-ceramic-pro/

Oh and about the dings... I only have a minor quarter sized dent in one of my door panels since this the application, and there was no paint damage. The only thing you notice is light warping around it, which is what you would see anyways if there was no paint protection. I haven't gotten around to pushing it out since I'm expecting the Mach E this Spring.
I live on a nearly mile long stone driveway. The dust on the back of our vehicles is horrendous.

Does a ceramic coating make it so you just have to rinse off with water? Currently only rinsing does not work well. We have to take it to a wash, and really only the spinning brush kind of wash really works.
Sponsored

DanCoon

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Government
Country flag
Without looking at what you're dealing with I'd say a quick blast with the hose and 90% should come off. The rest you can just wipe off with a paper towel or microfiber cloth. Those California Car Dusters worked really well for me. I keep one in the trunk and just give the whole car a quick dust any time I get in the car or are waiting at the gas pump.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I would never take a car I cared about to a car wash, touchless or otherwise. I'm a little extreme but they are terrible for you car.

I self detail. I use Chemical Brothers products (you can get on Amazon). I only wash the car maybe 5 times a year, but use quick detail sprays to keep it nice and clean and shiny in between washes. Use high quality micro fiber cloths. If one touches the ground it goes in the trash.

I recommend Turtle Wax ceramic spray as well. Excellent product.

Last edited:

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Problem with hand wash, @stroszek and @Stang68, is that requires a lot of time and energy to do over the years instead of just going to the car wash, something that I think I will not be very good at keeping up over the long term.

I like the idea of a ceramic coat, or just avoiding ordering certain treatments at the car wash that are particularly corrosive if there is such a thing, because it is essentially effortless.
Yeah I get that. Detailing (if you can call what I do that since I'm still somewhat a beginner) is time-consuming and definitely a hobby.
If you don't care about swirl marks or anything like that, then an automatic car wash will still be fine.

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier EV, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander GT PHEV
Occupation
Electrical product safety engineer
Country flag
Never go to a car wash. Wash by hand using the two bucket method.

stroszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 92x
Country flag
Without looking at what you're dealing with I'd say a quick blast with the hose and 90% should come off. The rest you can just wipe off with a paper towel or microfiber cloth. Those California Car Dusters worked really well for me. I keep one in the trunk and just give the whole car a quick dust any time I get in the car or are waiting at the gas pump.
Only touch your car with a microfiber cloth or a wash mitt for the most part, a paper towel is way rougher than it seems and will mar the paint.

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric
Country flag
Hello everyone, I had to join the forum just because of this thread!

I've had a ceramic coating from a reputable manufacturer on my Focus Electric for almost three years now. Overall, it's great but let's clear up a couple misconceptions here.

First, a ceramic coating will *NOT* protect your car against keying, rock chips, or other physical damage. The coating is a thin layer of SiO2 (quartz) and while pretty hard, it is not infallible by any means. To get protection from physical damage, you'll need paint protection film.

Second, touchless washing. If you check the guidelines of coating manufacturers, they specifically recommend that if you're not able to use the two bucket method with a proper wash mit, then going to a touchless wash is fine. The coating is very resistant to chemicals, so it won't be hurt by most anything used in a commercial wash. You definitely need to stay away from spinning brushes, since it's mechanical action that removes the coating, not chemical.

As has been mentioned, touchless washes don't generally get the car completely clean, but that's OK. If I want the car to really look it's best, I go through the touchless wash and follow it up with a waterless wash spray and a high quality microfiber towel. That saves a lot of time and I can do it inside my garage and stay warm if it's cold out. The coating also makes a touchless wash more effective since dirt has a more difficult time sticking. As long as you're not touching dry paint (ie using a car duster or paper towel) it won't scratch.

This has kept my nearly 8 year old Focus looking outstanding and I still get compliments on it when I would go to EV meetups pre-pandemic.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E at the Car Wash - Best Practices 20200915_134412

Ceramic coating manufacturers often make bold claims about it lasting 5+ years, but I'm not sure that's true under average conditions. I've noticed the coating become a bit weak on the doors where it gets road spray and such. But it's easy to "top up" using a ceramic spray.

I plan to DIY a coating on my next car, but that's only after doing extensive research and being willing to spend at least two days doing proper prep work to make sure the coating adheres properly. If you're not sure, definitely get a reputable detail shop to do the work.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

I've had a ceramic coating from a reputable manufacturer on my Focus Electric for almost three years now. Overall, it's great but let's clear up a couple misconceptions here.

First, a ceramic coating will *NOT* protect your car against keying, rock chips, or other physical damage. The coating is a thin layer of SiO2 (quartz) and while pretty hard, it is not infallible by any means. To get protection from physical damage, you'll need paint protection film.

Second, touchless washing. If you check the guidelines of coating manufacturers, they specifically recommend that if you're not able to use the two bucket method with a proper wash mit, then going to a touchless wash is fine. The coating is very resistant to chemicals, so it won't be hurt by most anything used in a commercial wash. You definitely need to stay away from spinning brushes, since it's mechanical action that removes the coating, not chemical.

As has been mentioned, touchless washes don't generally get the car completely clean, but that's OK. If I want the car to really look it's best, I go through the touchless wash and follow it up with a waterless wash spray and a high quality microfiber towel. That saves a lot of time and I can do it inside my garage and stay warm if it's cold out. The coating also makes a touchless wash more effective since dirt has a more difficult time sticking. As long as you're not touching dry paint (ie using a car duster or paper towel) it won't scratch.

This has kept my nearly 8 year old Focus looking outstanding and I still get compliments on it when I would go to EV meetups pre-pandemic.

Ceramic coating manufacturers often make bold claims about it lasting 5+ years, but I'm not sure that's true under average conditions. I've noticed the coating become a bit weak on the doors where it gets road spray and such. But it's easy to "top up" using a ceramic spray.

I plan to DIY a coating on my next car, but that's only after doing extensive research and being willing to spend at least two days doing proper prep work to make sure the coating adheres properly. If you're not sure, definitely get a reputable detail shop to do the work.
Good info. That's consistent with what I just heard from a local Ceramic Pro dealer today. He made sure to tell me that it will protect the paint a bit from scratches, it will not do what a PPF will.

OP
OP
ARK

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag

Welcome and thanks for the insightful response.

Why not just get the paint protection film, what are the downsides to that as opposed to the ceramic coating?

Basically, I don’t want to wash my car myself so instead would have to take it to a car wash with the spinning brushes that is near me. I would hope to get something that can withstand that while at the same time providing some protection from SoCal’s powerful summer sun and protection from the stuff they might apply at the car wash itself that could hurt the paint.

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric
Country flag
Welcome and thanks for the insightful response.

Why not just get the paint protection film, what are the downsides to that as opposed to the ceramic coating?

Basically, I don’t want to wash my car myself so instead would have to take it to a car wash with the spinning brushes that is near me. I would hope to get something that can withstand that while at the same time providing some protection from SoCal’s powerful summer sun and protection from the stuff they might apply at the car wash itself that could hurt the paint.
Thanks. The main issue I see with PPF is it's just massively expensive to cover the whole car. Like mid four digits expensive. Ceramic coatings can be installed on a new car that needs very little correction for around $700-$1000 depending on your area.

I used to be more dedicated to spending time hand washing and detailing my car, but I like that with a coating, I can go to the touchless wash and spend about 15 minutes at home afterwards using the waterless product to make the car look great if I want to. I don't have hours to spend with a family now, so it works for me.

I guess the question for you is are you willing/able to spend that 15 minutes of time every month or two for the spray and wipe? If not, it will be much more difficult to have a car that's both protected from the sun and stays clean. Or if you don't mind paying a mobile detailing service, that could work too.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
PPF films and Ceramic coatings server different purposes. In both cases, you must wash the car.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E at the Car Wash - Best Practices 1609358185319
Nice! This is why I plan to have a professional PPF the front and all plastic parts and ceramic the whole car.

Last edited: