Taking Mach-E through commercial car wash?

SPatil

First Name
Stephanie
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustand Mach EV 2020
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The manual advises against using car washes with tracks. I had assumed the issue was the low clearance between the under carriage battery and the ground. I don't mind washing by hand in summer. I am not willing to wash it myself in colder (Michigan) weather. What are the choices?

Advertisement

generaltso

Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
The manual advises against using car washes with tracks. I had assumed the issue was the low clearance between the under carriage battery and the ground. I don't mind washing by hand in summer. I am not willing to wash it myself in colder (Michigan) weather. What are the choices?
A car wash without tracks?

Weapon X

Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach E AWD ER
Country flag
I can wash my car in the garage with ONR. It doesn't use much water.

69Mach390

Reaction score
Vehicles
69 Mustang Mach 1, 15 Chevy SS
Country flag
When I get mine, it will be like my suits, dry clean only.**

**This means they’re dirty

waldo1949

First Name
Walter
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue mach e 4x
Country flag
I just took my Mach-E through a car wash (yeah I know :gasp: ).

Turns out you have to use the Neutral -> Low -> Press Ok procedure even if you're going to sit in the car. Putting the shifter in N doesn't really put it in neutral.

Funny thing is: the car wash attendant knew exactly what to do..!
I use 1 PD and have the hold at stop feature off(not needed with 1PD) and just put it in N at the car wash. Its a car, not a delicate work of art. In 10 yrs it will be dull. I can live with that.

JamieGeek

Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I use 1 PD and have the hold at stop feature off(not needed with 1PD) and just put it in N at the car wash. Its a car, not a delicate work of art. In 10 yrs it will be dull. I can live with that.
Actually what someone suggested earlier also works: Don't let the car come to a complete stop before shifting to N (it will roll a bit and then stop). Then N-L-Ok procedure isn't needed in that case either.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
For what it's worth - if you are using a car wash where you stay in the vehicle, you can just use the standard "N" position and everything works as expected. Just took our MME through for the first time today with no issue. And yes - I know it creates micro-scratches, but guess I am less of a purist than many on this forum! :)
I tried this once. My Mach-E jumped the rack belt and I had t use the Neutral Low ok method. fortunately, I was aware of it ahead of time, so I was prepared.

Advertisement

Advertisement