Do you take your Mach-E through a car wash?

PilotMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Moke, FRS, Prius, FJR, 1966 Shelby Mustang
Country flag
I read somewhere that you had to be careful taking your Mach e through a car wash as some car washes do not give enough ground clearance. Am I imagining this or is there a concern with taking the car to a drive through wash? I'll hand wash it the first year or so but I can see the day when I'll let a machine do it.
Thanks
Sponsored

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
I'm not sure I read about ground clearance, most suggest to either avoid drive-thru car washes or make sure it is a brushless, preferably stationary. If it is not stationary, make sure you know how to put your car into true, free-rolling neutral (tow mode essentially). Whether it is brushless or not, it is advisable to put tape on your charge port door as it is very easy for it to open in washes from the heavy spray or a brush.

Arjan

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
Every week ....

In my defence, the car wash is one of the newest and also being used as a showmodel for potential buyers. So everything is designed for a gentle wash

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
I was mostly washing at home, but lately I have been going to the touchless car wash and bringing along some microfiber cloths. I pull into the vacuum stall and wipe down the car with the microfibers after the wash. I use a damp cloth for any areas with remaining dirt, then dry cloths to finish it off. This is quick and easy, the results are almost as good as washing it at home.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Touch free only. I try to hand wash with Mircrofiber stuff when not. I like my "x"s and charge door. Everytime I look at my perfectly glossy car with no swirl marks, I am so happy I do.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Do you take your Mach-E through a car wash? Mach E Glitter

Glitter 1.jpg

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Never. But if you must, read the manual about putting it in "L" mode.

Swirls78

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Flex
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Every week ....

In my defence, the car wash is one of the newest and also being used as a showmodel for potential buyers. So everything is designed for a gentle wash
When you do, is neutral okay. Do I have to do anything else?

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Neutral then hit L in the shift dial and it rolls.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
When you do, is neutral okay. Do I have to do anything else?
No, neutral is not ok. If you put it in neutral and open the door, it will shift to park.

Follow the instructions in the manual:

Put your vehicle in stay in neutral mode when entering an automatic car wash. See What Is Temporary Neutral Mode (page 183).

ENTERING TEMPORARY NEUTRAL MODE
1. Power your vehicle on.
2. Bring your vehicle to a complete stop.
3. Press and hold the brake pedal.
4. Shift into neutral (N).
Note: An instructional message appears.
5. Press the low (L) button.
Note: A confirmation message appears when your vehicle enters the mode.
6. Release the brake pedal.
Note: Your vehicle is free to roll.
7. Switch your vehicle off.
Note: Do not tow your vehicle in this mode.
Note: The neutral (N) indicator on the transmission selector may flash in this mode.

EXITING TEMPORARY NEUTRAL MODE
1. Press the brake pedal.
2. Shift into park (P), or power your vehicle on and shift into drive (D) or reverse (R).

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Neutral is fine. I do it all the time. I go to a car wash when required. In winter, yeah like every week, in summer I may go a whole month (gasp) without a car wash LOL.

The trick is to turn off auto-hold. If you drive in 1-Pedal you don't need auto-hold anyway.

If you like Auto-Hold and drive 2-pedal then the above procedure is required (or shift into neutral with a very slight forward roll...its only when you come to a complete stop with your foot on the brakes that the above procedure is necessary).

I've only had the charge port door open once--I didn't have it fully closed. Fortunately it was the last brush that opened it so no damage ocurred. Showed up right away on the dash.

In addition, I use the manual retract button for the side view mirrors. Otherwise the attendants will push them in..sounds nasty when they do so I just retract them when pulling up.

Oh yeah and the car's sensors freak out LOL love the 360 view highlighting where the car wash is touching the car.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Do you take your Mach-E through a car wash? 2022-07-16 09.12.14

When I had the Bolt I could shift back into drive while the car wash was pushing the car and it would regen all the way through. I tried that a couple of times with the Mach-E and it wasn't happy about that at all! LOL.

Last edited:

rfischer

First Name
Rosie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I also go through a brushless car wash and have had no problems but perhaps I need to be more careful...???

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
4 times through the local cheapie (if $8 to kinda hose off the outside is cheap..) without issue. I use neutral and didn't plan on opeing a door. However the thought of the door button actually causing the door to open didn't occur to me because I have to press 2 or more times. I'll use L from now on with that in mind. We have 1/2 inch more ground clearance than a MoodleY. I also fold the mirrors.

My cheap wash brushes don't contact all that well (read: all the bugs are still there usually). I use it mostly to knock the dust off and finish up with microfiber towels and the air hose as the tail lights/hatch seem to be collecting massive amounts of water to hide. You get it all dry then drive away, it's like taking a truck through as it all pours out the back (not quite as bad but you get the idea)

CurtW

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE
Country flag
This is an easy vehicle to hand wash, so that is my only approach. With all the sensors, cameras, etc, can't see using high pressure or automatic washes. Besides, I enjoy washing the car.

melissphillips

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
I use a car wash all the time. no problems. There are a ton of videos on YouTube about how Ford built a car wash and used it multiple times during testing of the MachE in 2021
Sponsored