Taking Mach-E through commercial car wash?

SPatil

First Name
Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustand Mach EV 2020
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The manual advises against using car washes with tracks. I had assumed the issue was the low clearance between the under carriage battery and the ground. I don't mind washing by hand in summer. I am not willing to wash it myself in colder (Michigan) weather. What are the choices?
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
The manual advises against using car washes with tracks. I had assumed the issue was the low clearance between the under carriage battery and the ground. I don't mind washing by hand in summer. I am not willing to wash it myself in colder (Michigan) weather. What are the choices?
A car wash without tracks?

Weapon X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach E AWD ER
Country flag
I can wash my car in the garage with ONR. It doesn't use much water.

waldo1949

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue mach e 4x
Country flag
I just took my Mach-E through a car wash (yeah I know :gasp: ).

Turns out you have to use the Neutral -> Low -> Press Ok procedure even if you're going to sit in the car. Putting the shifter in N doesn't really put it in neutral.

Funny thing is: the car wash attendant knew exactly what to do..!
I use 1 PD and have the hold at stop feature off(not needed with 1PD) and just put it in N at the car wash. Its a car, not a delicate work of art. In 10 yrs it will be dull. I can live with that.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I use 1 PD and have the hold at stop feature off(not needed with 1PD) and just put it in N at the car wash. Its a car, not a delicate work of art. In 10 yrs it will be dull. I can live with that.
Actually what someone suggested earlier also works: Don't let the car come to a complete stop before shifting to N (it will roll a bit and then stop). Then N-L-Ok procedure isn't needed in that case either.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
For what it's worth - if you are using a car wash where you stay in the vehicle, you can just use the standard "N" position and everything works as expected. Just took our MME through for the first time today with no issue. And yes - I know it creates micro-scratches, but guess I am less of a purist than many on this forum! :)
I tried this once. My Mach-E jumped the rack belt and I had t use the Neutral Low ok method. fortunately, I was aware of it ahead of time, so I was prepared.

kwailau

First Name
Kwai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang GT, Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
One more question! Do you guys need to turn off any of the front sensors so that the car won't constantly beep and alert you of items appearing in front?

I have a Lexus RX 350 and when I first took it to the carwash, it happened until I figured out how to turn off the sensors before entering the carwash.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
One more question! Do you guys need to turn off any of the front sensors so that the car won't constantly beep and alert you of items appearing in front?

I have a Lexus RX 350 and when I first took it to the carwash, it happened until I figured out how to turn off the sensors before entering the carwash.
The car does freak out but I don't see a reason to turn all that off since it is expected. Its not like that does any harm its just warning you that something is in its personal space.

Plutoman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Excursion, Expedition
Country flag
Actually what someone suggested earlier also works: Don't let the car come to a complete stop before shifting to N (it will roll a bit and then stop). Then N-L-Ok procedure isn't needed in that case either.
I have found this to be correct. If you go to neutral without hitting the brake, you just need to be in neutral. If you hit the brake while in neutral, you will need to push the L button to allow it to roll. When in doubt push L. The only tricky thing is once you push L, you will need to tap the break to put it back in D.
Find a hill and play with it to understand it better. It is a little quirky.

kwailau

First Name
Kwai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang GT, Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
The car does freak out but I don't see a reason to turn all that off since it is expected. Its not like that does any harm its just warning you that something is in its personal space.
Yeah you're right about that. Thanks for the tip!

Tron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach-E premium AWD STD - Infinite Blue
Country flag
My research on brushless indicates the stronger chemicals eat your wax, zaino, whatever. Then they mist with a rinse agent that mimics the visual appearance of water beading on wax.

ONR is great, except no good way to flush the undercarriage of salt in winter.

So, it's carwash scratches that I can polish out if needed, or the corrosion from salt and the inconveniences of attempting to ONR in winter.

At least the car wash is like a bandaid, you go through quickly, wincing, but then it's all over.

Thopter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Specialized Turbo Creo SL Expert EVO
Country flag
Self wash bays are like $2.50 for 5 minutes by me. if you stay on top of things, that’s plenty of time to hose your car down, including underneath.

They also run warm water in the winter, my ride always stays clean.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Hey Guys! Here’s a tip for car washes.

If you enable the AUTO HOLD feature on your Mach-E and come to a stop, it will engage and prevent the vehicle from rolling even after moving your gear selector to neutral. If this happens, push the L button in the middle of the gear selector when you are in neutral. The vehicle will turn off AUTO HOLD, and go into NEUTRAL HOLD. A message will appear in the cluster indicating you are in NEUTRAL HOLD, and you will be able to roll forward into a car wash for instance.

Blur1011

First Name
jP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e standard awd
Country flag
Just curious if anyone has taken their Mach-e thru a commercial car wash - pulley types - and where employees clean the inside of the car too? Little afraid of marring the car either inside, outside or both?
My finance just took mine through an auto wash came back with small scratchs all along the front of the frunk hood ....
Sponsored