Mach-E Dashcam and Sentry Mode Updates

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I understand your point and I respectively disagree. They spent a lot of time on value-added features in the car, like kick to open rear liftgate, wireless charge pad, USB C ports. A nonsense feature to you is not nonsense to someone else. I would much prefer the animation over none at all due to the emotive connection it helps instill. If I had to choose between the two though, I would choose the sentry mode/dashcam. However, your assuming its a zero sum game and that they could of had sentry mode w/o that animation. Which I highly doubt is the case.

I do hope they add sentry mode/dashcam like functionality in an OTA update.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla can get away with that but for the time being, Ford can't. I remember when the C-Max came out, one of the concerns some folks expressed was if there was something different about driving it. The answer of course was no: "You don't have to worry about regen or gas vs electric. The car does it. Just drive like you normally do." Part of that concern was due to things like the Prius putting weird shifter knobs in for no reason. I can't tell you how many times when I told folks it was a hybrid, the very next question was, do you have to plug it in? Misconceptions and confusion are abound.

My point is, Ford wants this car to be approachable. Taking away the start button is just one step too far at this time. Your separating the Mach-E from all cars before. I'm not against that separation, but it does have to be gradual and measured. Ford’s customer base is not Tesla’s customer base. Tesla does zero advertising. Why? Because they don’t have to. The tech media covers it incessantly -- their customers are enthusiasts. They are willing to put up with Tesla’s eccentrics and growing pains. That don’t give a second thought to turn to online areas to learn how things work, etc. Ford’s base (and basically any non-Tesla car buyer) is different. Again, approachability. Just my opinions.

BTW, I’m pretty sure the animation starts when the door opens. The start button simply flips a relay to engage the high-volt battery and tells the screens to wake up. At least, that’s how it works in the C-Max. It’s not like you push the start button and wait for it to boot the car.

Not all EV's have built-in dash cams. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Tesla is the only car (EV or not) that does. In fact, what does an EV have to do with a dashcam? I don't see any reason why an ICE powered car couldn't have one either. They can come with 360 degree cameras. I don't understand the link between the two you keep making.

I want both.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
BTW, I’m pretty sure the animation starts when the door opens. The start button simply flips a relay to engage the high-volt battery and tells the screens to wake up. At least, that’s how it works in the C-Max. It’s not like you push the start button and wait for it to boot the car.
From the Dealer Training manual:
The Mustang Mach-E experience begins as
you approach and enter the vehicle.
  • The ground illuminates with a Mustang Pony logo projected from the puddle lamps
  • Intelligent Access (fob entry) or new Phone As A Key* allows you to enter effortlessly – no more fumbling to find keys
  • A simple press of the E-Latch button and the door pops open for your entry
  • An illumination sequence brings the vehicle to life as you get situated and press the push-button start
  • Audible cues welcome your presence, unique to your last selected drive experience (Engage, Whisper or Unbridled)
  • Your personalized user profile automatically adjust the seats, mirrors, radio, lighting and instrument panel just the way you like it

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have you ever heard of UX? Putting mirror adjustment in the screen or headlights in the screen are not human centered. It isn't a sign of the past, its a sign of being practical. My parent's 2011 Explorer would remember the seat and mirror positions for up to three drivers. It had a physical button to do the adjustment. There's nothing wrong with that. A Tesla doesn't let you open the glove box without going through a menu. That's the future? That's progress?

Change just for change sake isn't progress. I fail to see any downside of having those physical buttons. If that list of unnecessary nonsense is what you think an advanced car is, then the Mach-E is not for you.

polzovotel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Pilot
Country flag
You are so right ... unfortunately. This is one of the reasons I did not like Audi e-tron - it is built for the people that were driving ICE and they "should be comfortable" to move to EV...

Let us hope Ford will do better

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Mach-MI, your comments emphasize the fact that different buyers/drivers want different things. You don't want the Mach-E instead of your Tesla because you prefer the way Tesla does thing. That does not mean you are right or wrong about how a car SHOULD be designed. It is just your preference and you are certainly free to act on your preferences and choose a Tesla. I want the Mach-E instead of the Tesla because I prefer the way Ford is doing things with the Mach-E compared to how Tesla is doing things with the Model Y. That does not mean that I am right or wrong about how a car SHOULD be designed. It is just my preference and I am free to act on my preferences and choose the Mach-E. If you bought a Mach-E, it sounds like you might be willing to pay extra to get rid of driver's display behind the steering wheel. If I bought a Model Y, I would be willing to pay extra to add a driver's display behind the steering wheel. In fact, I would pay extra for the physical buttons the Mach-E has, for the start button, etc. By the way, if you don't want a black car because it is too much like the Model T, that is just fine. Somebody else might want a black car because they like the color. By the way, the Mach-E will be my third EV (Leaf, Bolt, Mach-E). Each time I considered a Tesla, I chose something else. You and others chose the Tesla over the other options. It is great that there is enough variety for us each to be happy with our choices.

Last edited:

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
J1 '21 Premium Ex RWD (Rapid Red)
Country flag
  • Your personalized user profile automatically adjust the seats, mirrors, radio, lighting and instrument panel just the way you like it
I would be thrilled if all the mirror remembered the driver, especially the rear view mirror
Sponsored