Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
No. Dealers won't update your car just because a newer version is out. Only if there is an issue you are having that is documented to be fixed in the new version.

You may get lucky and get a service rep that will attempt it, But its not guaranteed. I've never had a dealer do an update without a TSB and verify the issue they need to fix.
if these changes are indeed in OTA 1.7.1 and we get 1.7.1 sometime before our batteries are getting recycled due to 30%+ capacity loss over time, then, cool. If not, that would be unfortunate. I wouldn't lose my mind over it or anything but it would be unfortunate.
Sponsored

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
You have to remember with electric motors, you are basically in a konigseg that can spin tires at 70 mph. This is likely a safety measure to prevent people from doing 180s on the highway after mashing the pedal. With ICE the torque simply isn't there to get away with pedal mashing but electric cars are a whole other story. If you have ever done rc racing (shout out to apex raceway in TN where I can be found), when at half throttle on a straight and you mash the gas you will likely spin the car.

All that said yes this is HIGHLY LIKELY to be a software controlled mechanism that can be tuned with future updates
The solution to prevent people spinning out of control should be part of the traction control system, which you can fully disable on the mach-e GTPE so a test would be to turn it off and if this limiting does not happen with it disabled then yes we could say that it is traction control cutting in and so those wanting the maximum performance would need to disable traction control but as soon as traction control cuts in you should should see an icon on the dash (maybe it was out of frame).

However based on the 1/4 mile trap times an educated guess would say no something else is up and is the reason for all the threads of people expecting there to be some actual performance to go along with the performance edition.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
If Ford is so worried about our batteries and longevity/wear and tear they should just make us push a "fun button" on the screen that gives a lame, legally-binding warning like "hey this could hurt your battery (or more likely for the guy who buys this from you one day) and we do not suggest using this button often" and then it gives us full power.

CharleyCarlos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE In Production
Country flag
You have to remember with electric motors, you are basically in a konigseg that can spin tires at 70 mph. This is likely a safety measure to prevent people from doing 180s on the highway after mashing the pedal. With ICE the torque simply isn't there to get away with pedal mashing but electric cars are a whole other story. If you have ever done rc racing (shout out to apex raceway in TN where I can be found), when at half throttle on a straight and you mash the gas you will likely spin the car.

All that said yes this is HIGHLY LIKELY to be a software controlled mechanism that can be tuned with future updates
if I saw someone on the drag strip do a perfect 180 from sheer horsepower delivery at 70 mph, I would be fully sold on the GTPE. ?

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag

Um, who wants to tell him?

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
No. Dealers won't update your car just because a newer version is out. Only if there is an issue you are having that is documented to be fixed in the new version.
I remember seeing Ford brag that they were going to deliver new features like this to existing owners. They did not say you can only get the new feature when your car is sufficiently broken.

If dealers are saying that now - and I don't doubt it - it is disappointing, and perhaps dishonest.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I remember seeing Ford brag that they were going to deliver new features like this to existing owners. They did not say you can only get the new feature when your car is sufficiently broken.

If dealers are saying that now - and I don't doubt it - it is disappointing, and perhaps dishonest.
Ford isn't using dealers to update cars. That's why they are rolling out the OTA ability.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag

These updates will come to all in time via OTA, heck for a lot of people basic functionality like PAAK still doesn't work correctly so Ford no doubt has so many pokers in the fire at the moment when it comes to fixing the software in the mach-e that for pushing an OTA for subtle updates is probably way down the bottom of the list.

Things like the power gauge should have been there from the start but Ford really has a very long way to go when it comes to the software and UX design in regards to matching what people are expecting in the BEV sector.

Kwar0107

First Name
Kaleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Country flag
Tell him what? That it’s AWD?

Or should we send a link to a video of a Tesla plaid?

My RC truck also does wheelies! Maybe it’s to prevent that?
It's 2 independent motors. Ford says it's the front motor that is upgraded but has anyone been able to Dyno it and tell what the front to rear power output is? It's got me curious. I'm clearly no expert lol.

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE DMG; '18 Pacifica Limited
Country flag
It's 2 independent motors. Ford says it's the front motor that is upgraded but has anyone been able to Dyno it and tell what the front to rear power output is? It's got me curious. I'm clearly no expert lol.
It was "upgraded" over the non-GT awd being that it has the rear motor in front as well, not the smaller front motor.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
These updates will come to all in time via OTA, heck for a lot of people basic functionality like PAAK still doesn't work correctly so Ford no doubt has so many pokers in the fire at the moment when it comes to fixing the software in the mach-e that for pushing an OTA for subtle updates is probably way down the bottom of the list.
Perhaps, but maybe OTA updates should be higher on the list. Has Ford ever actually accomplished an OTA update? For the electric Mustang? For any Ford vehicle? Is Ford generally experienced with this sort of thing?

I would feel more confident in their capability if they updated software regularly. If their first attempt is next year sometime, I don't really want to be first in line. I mean, they probably won't turn my car into a brick, but...

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Perhaps, but maybe OTA updates should be higher on the list. Has Ford ever actually accomplished an OTA update? For the electric Mustang? For any Ford vehicle? Is Ford generally experienced with this sort of thing?

I would feel more confident in their capability if they updated software regularly. If their first attempt is next year sometime, I don't really want to be first in line. I mean, they probably won't turn my car into a brick, but...
There has been some OTA, but overall I would agree the role out has been very poor. With the GT now getting in the hands of customers we probably will have to make do with another round of GT problems that need fixing and only once that is out of the way and the full model line up is readily available will be start to get more updates, hopefully by next year things will look up on that front.

Mach C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Performance Nov. 2021
Country flag
So I've heard a bunch about this issue and have it myself on my GT. I was doing some backroading this afternoon and noticed the power meter in the bottom left displays a limit once you get up to higher speeds which is reducing current output even at full throttle.

I know this has been beat up in other threads but wanted to post this video for others to see how the actual issue manifests.

Is this a software limitation? Can the motors not accept full current above x rpm?

Just an interesting observation, have others seen this power limit kicking down when accelerating up higher speeds?

I hadn't seen anyone else post a video so wanted to post this one. I do not believe it was an issue with the battery being too hot as I had barely been driving hard and as far as I could tell the battery cooling wasn't even on. Heard no fan or AC compressor (HVAC was off).

I will do more testing.

Last note - this car has the latest update for the PCM and both motors. I ran the update on 9/18 so unless one came out this week it is latest.

Thanks for the real world video. Great example of Nanny Ford pulling the plug just when we need it. Watching the car suddenly shut off in mid stream made me feel disrespected and even abused. The poor driver. Where is American Freedom? Ford cars wont lets US drive anymore? Why not just call an uber or drive a economy box? I can see in the thread this issue tearing apart Fords most loyal Mach e fans. Now we turn on each other, later it will be directed squarely on Ford and their blatent disconnect from the public. Historic business fail, good for future mba case theses. Lol
Someone please try to do another video where you are cruising for a half hour at 70 then quickly accelerate over 99 then back down to 70 then try again- with specs, have someone with you to record for safety. To me your video was frightning. I am very concerned that the gtpe Im supposed to get at the end of october will be dangerously underpowered for lengthy interstate driving. Im a road warrior. For some reason actual expressway (truck) speeds and "truck blocking packs" have greatly increased in last 2 years even in construction zones. Its crazy, but I have needed instant power to save my life a number of times and I really fear this gtpe could fail me on a long run. Track fun ( longer than 4 seconds) was expected with a Ford Performance car, but why pay for one if its not there. Plenty of other options next year. In real world non city/subburb driving, if I cant go 70-99 in a Ford mustang when I need it - its a death trap and law suit.
I hope Ford pulls a Mustang out if its hat- real soon! If the october media track specs brown nose Ford and just focus on teenager tbone races (0-60) and or Ford keeps lying in the weeds about this- Im out and will never by a Ford product again. Im not alone. Fords failure to get ahead of a media bomb and customer questions of Mach e impotence will damage their bottom line and quickly devalue my gtpe. I will end this with hope: Ive been waiting two years for this performance wonder and supporting Ford all the way. I ordered the gtpe, reserved a F150 Lightning, bought stock. Damn, I hope they can and will fix it in the next few weeks here. I would love to ride!

Btw, also bought Tesla stock.
Sponsored