breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
So I've heard a bunch about this issue and have it myself on my GT. I was doing some backroading this afternoon and noticed the power meter in the bottom left displays a limit once you get up to higher speeds which is reducing current output even at full throttle.

I know this has been beat up in other threads but wanted to post this video for others to see how the actual issue manifests.

Is this a software limitation? Can the motors not accept full current above x rpm?

Just an interesting observation, have others seen this power limit kicking down when accelerating up higher speeds?

I hadn't seen anyone else post a video so wanted to post this one. I do not believe it was an issue with the battery being too hot as I had barely been driving hard and as far as I could tell the battery cooling wasn't even on. Heard no fan or AC compressor (HVAC was off).

I will do more testing.

Last note - this car has the latest update for the PCM and both motors. I ran the update on 9/18 so unless one came out this week it is latest.

Sponsored

Last edited:

CompilerBreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT
Country flag
There's like, 1000+ pages on this in other threads, however I really can't recommend reading them :) tldr, the overall charge of your vehicle has some effect (higher charge is better) but the consensus is there's something off about the power curve. Whether that is something which can be fixed or not, who knows. People are waiting for the media events in October for the GT model to see an official response.

Mach E JT

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, Acura RDX, Corvette C8
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Exactly as expected, somewhere around 81mph there is a noticeable drop in power output. Even from 30mph start in addition to standing start 1/4 mile runs.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
So I've heard a bunch about this issue and have it myself on my GT. I was doing some backroading this afternoon and noticed the power meter in the bottom left displays a limit once you get up to higher speeds which is reducing current output even at full throttle.

Is this a software limitation? Can the motors not accept full current above x rpm?

Just an interesting observation, have others seen this power limit kicking down when accelerating up higher speeds?

I hadn't seen anyone else post a video so wanted to post this one. I do not believe it was an issue with the battery being too hot as I had barely been driving hard and as far as I could tell the battery cooling wasn't even on. Heard no fan or AC compressor (HVAC was off).

I will do more testing.

Thanks for posting!

Definitely a visual representation of what we are seeing in the numbers.

Even the car is telling you it’s limiting power. I also noticed when you slowed down and punched it again, it wasn’t full power.

Seems like they’re being absurdly cautious with power limitation.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Yeah I know there were threads on it but honestly couldn't find any videos. I've missed it all.

Is the power meter a GT-only thing? I don't have it in my non-GT Mach-E.
Hopefully added later.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah I know there were threads on it but honestly couldn't find any videos. I've missed it all.

Hopefully added later.
There aren’t other videos.

As you do more testing, see how long it takes for the car to “recover” before giving you full power again after the 4 seconds of full throttle it gave you.

Power meter in the video started dropping before 80 mph, then was way down in your 2nd 30-50 punch.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Thank you so much for this. While not as fast as we would all like, that still seems like plenty of power to pass safely at highway speeds.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thinking about this more, I do see this as possibly GOOD news. It could mean the power is there, but it’s not letting us access it.

Can you also do a 75-100 video to see if it cuts power right away or if you get 4 seconds again?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you so much for this. While not as fast as we would all like, that still seems like plenty of power to pass safely at highway speeds.
Boo! No using words like “plenty” or “adequate” where Ford could read them.

Those are NOT appropriate descriptions of a top tier “performance edition.”

That Honda 2.0t has plenty of power to pass on the highway. So does my wife’s old minivan.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Thinking about this more, I do see this as possibly GOOD news. It could mean the power is there, but it’s not letting us access it.

Can you also do a 75-100 video to see if it cuts power right away or if you get 4 seconds again?
Yes, eventually when I have somewhere I can do it. I did hit about 110 on my drive home from the dealer but my FE still has gone faster than the GT at the good ol' max 113mph.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Yeah the other threads are super long with dragy times and whatever else, but this is actually what we needed. A visual representation of exactly what's happening. Doesn't do anything to help the question of why ford is doing this, but it'll stop the speculation of what's actually happening.

This definitely seems like an OTA fix that Ford needs to let out. They're clearly limiting the motors. If it's to protect the batteries, they're being kind of obnoxious about it.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Awesome, so we get like 1 pull unrestricted on a drive for a few seconds and then power limited for god knows how long afterword. Well. This sucks.

iankellogg

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus ES 300h, Red Mach E XR AWD
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
is there any chance this is entirely a limit of back EMF and what RPM flux weakening is being turned on? If so there might not be too much that can be done other than tweaks to the flux weakening.

Tesla has a switched reluctance motor and an induction motor, both don't have back emf that cause high speed loss of power.
Sponsored