Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Dial it back a notch. The Plaid is impressive. It’s also a purpose-built Model S designed solely to stroke the Ego of Elon, on his orders no less. $130K, 3 motors, Big AF HV pack. MME GT is for regular folks. You’re essentially comparing a 992 911 Turbo S to a Mustang GT. I don’t really know what else needs to be said at this point.
I think something got lost in all the plaid talk. My only point about bringing it into the conversation was about battery degradation and ability to hold full power for longer for a BEV.
Sponsored

Nomation

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Country flag
I still have it as a “maybe” on the road course.

We know 2 things about power delivery so far:

1. in normal modes, it cuts power significantly after just a few seconds of full throttle, then continues to cut power for subsequent full throttle (for an unknown amount of time). This would be horrible for the track.

2. in unbridled extend, it cuts power all the time to a unknown amount. Seems to be about 75% power based on acceleration runs so far. Also horrible if a 480 hp car can only use 360 hp.

Seems like unbridled extend turns a GT into a regular AWD in terms of power. So the only track advantage would be the brakes and suspension?

Side note on unbridled extend. When reading about it months ago, did anyone expect it to make the car slower? Not me for sure! I thought it would let you use 100% power for longer (at the track).
I remember the Video where the journalist was a passenger in a GTPE at the Ford track and the Ford Performance guy explained unbridled extend as removing the nannies and allowing the vehicle to last longer at the track instead of using all your power after only a few laps.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I remember the Video where the journalist was a passenger in a GTPE at the Ford track and the Ford Performance guy explained unbridled extend as removing the nannies and allowing the vehicle to last longer at the track instead of using all your power after only a few laps.
Yeah, I remember that too. But he omitted the part where it reduces horsepower to achieve this goal.

I’d consider that an important detail.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Edit: 2nd fastest.

Had to Google it, that thing is insane. Never heard of Nevera before.
Rimac now owns Bugatti FYI. Mate Rimac is a smart dude. VW group liked what they saw, bought him out and made him head of Bugatti. Makes Elon look like PT Barnum.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
More like use all your power after 4-5 seconds of straight line acceleration. Thing would be a turd after the start of the lap.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
I thought you were going to be able to tap into the part of the battery they're not using on all the vehicles for a select amount of time to wring out every last bit of performance they can. Not hamper it just so you can spend more time doing laps at a slower pace.

Instead of calling it Unbridled extended mode, they should renamed it "Gelding Mode." Much more appropriate.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
There were multiple Tesla Plaid there that day. They released an in car video that clearly shows the driver using a yoke.

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
Side note on unbridled extend. When reading about it months ago, did anyone expect it to make the car slower?
yes. it was pretty obvious tbh, that they’d limit power delivery to prevent over heating the batteries.

Tommy303

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Shelby GT 500, '88 T-Bird TC, '19 Shelby F-150
Occupation
Postal Guy
Country flag
Since I haven't seen anyone ask it yet, do you think the upcoming Tesla roadster will rear-view the Nevera?

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Since I haven't seen anyone ask it yet, do you think the upcoming Tesla roadster will rear-view the Nevera?
No. Because by the time the mythical Roadster part deux actually goes on sale there will be either a faster Rimac Nevera or an even faster Bugatti version. I guess we’ll see though.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
it’s difficult to compare a real thing to vaporware. So, who knows. I do know Rimac is working on another more powerful car…

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
And yes, I understood Unbridled Extend to be a track use mode that would allow multiple laps without battery cooling issues and drastic power loss. But not full-tilt boogie the whole time.
if you really wanted to track at 'full-tilt boogie'.... my guess is the first step would be to enhance the battery cooling system. Quickest way would be to swap out the heat-pump and change to something designed and optimized for extracting and dumping more heat.

Performance/Race mods might include changing the battery belly pan from a flat heavy steel pan with insulation to something like a full length aluminum pan and thermal paste to optimize thermal heat transfer from battery can with fins running from front to back for as much air cooling as you could get. ( resulting in less clearance and protection from 'normal' road debris )... Since the belly pan is Structural, the aluminum 'heat sink' race-only replacement would have to be pretty carefully designed...

changing chips or controller software to allow more amps won't help if battery temp is not controlled.
Sponsored