Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
if you really wanted to track at 'full-tilt boogie'.... my guess is the first step would be to enhance the battery cooling system. Quickest way would be to swap out the heat-pump and change to something designed and optimized for extracting and dumping more heat.

Performance/Race mods might include changing the battery belly pan from a flat heavy steel pan with insulation to something like a full length aluminum pan and thermal paste to optimize thermal heat transfer from battery can with fins running from front to back for as much air cooling as you could get. ( resulting in less clearance and protection from 'normal' road debris )... Since the belly pan is Structural, the aluminum 'heat sink' race-only replacement would have to be pretty carefully designed...

changing chips or controller software to allow more amps won't help if battery temp is not controlled.
Some of the above battery cooling was what Tesla implemented for the Plaid iirc. However, it still “only” ran a 7:30-7:35 (depending on section timed) at the ‘Ring, about 20 seconds off the pace of the fastest ICE production sedans and 45-50 seconds off the fastest ICE sports cars. And I believe the in car video shows power limiting or the driver intentionally lifting in some high speed sections where you wouldn’t normally lift. Battery issues, trying for regen? Who knows.

Bottom line is, yes, it is a supremely fast EV. However, it’s ‘Ring lap is about the same as a 505HP 2014 Z/28 that lapped in light rain conditions on Pirelli Trofeo Rs that aren’t wet friendly at all, and only 7-12 seconds ahead of a ‘17+ Civic Type R that is FWD and sports approx. 320HP in Euro spec. And it was purposely developed to run at the ‘Ring flat out in order to beat the Taycan Turbo S on its home turf.
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Some of the above battery cooling was what Tesla implemented for the Plaid iirc. However, it still “only” ran a 7:30-7:35 (depending on section timed) at the ‘Ring, about 20 seconds off the pace of the fastest ICE production sedans and 45-50 seconds off the fastest ICE sports cars. And I believe the in car video shows power limiting or the driver intentionally lifting in some high speed sections where you wouldn’t normally lift. Battery issues, trying for regen? Who knows.

Bottom line is, yes, it is a supremely fast EV. However, it’s ‘Ring lap is about the same as a 505HP 2014 Z/28 that lapped in light rain conditions on Pirelli Trofeo Rs that aren’t wet friendly at all, and only 7-12 seconds ahead of a ‘17+ Civic Type R that is FWD and sports approx. 320HP in Euro spec. And it was purposely developed to run at the ‘Ring flat out in order to beat the Taycan Turbo S on its home turf.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the Ring more about maintaining speed than acceleration? Lots of high speed sweepers.

It’s how a Honda Civic can keep up with a Z/28. Also explains why even when you put 1000+ hp in a heavy sedan
.. it’s still a heavy sedan.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the Ring more about maintaining speed than acceleration? Lots of high speed sweepers.

It’s how a Honda Civic can keep up with a Z/28. Also explains why even when you put 1000+ hp in a heavy sedan
.. it’s still a heavy sedan.
No. The ‘Ring has it all over the 12.9 mile course, tighter technical stuff, bumpy sections, high speed sections, large elevation changes, and even weather changes due to its length/size. The Honda CTR runs low-mid 7:40s because it’s light and just that good, plus that Z/28 had 7:20s easy without the rain so it’s way ahead in reality. But, the current sedan lap record holder is the AMG GT 63S 4Matic (7:23) with 640ish HP and it weighs about 4500lbs. So, a power/weight ratio nowhere near the Plaid, yet 13 seconds faster. The weight doesn’t help the Plaid, but it’s not the problem in this case.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No. The ‘Ring has it all over the 12.9 mile course, tighter technical stuff, bumpy sections, high speed sections, large elevation changes, and even weather changes due to its length/size. The Honda CTR runs low-mid 7:40s because it’s light and just that good, plus that Z/28 had 7:20s easy without the rain so it’s way ahead in reality. But, the current sedan lap record holder is the AMG GT 63S 4Matic (7:23) with 640ish HP and it weighs about 4500lbs. So, a power/weight ratio nowhere near the Plaid, yet 13 seconds faster. The weight doesn’t help the Plaid, but it’s not the problem in this case.
Interesting. I would still concur that handling is more important than acceleration based on those numbers.

In the acceleration department, the CTR is slow in comparison (US spec runs a 14.0 at 102 mph). With an extra 14 hp the euro can’t be much faster.

In the same 14 seconds the cars we are comparing will be doing 125 (Z/28) to 170 mph (plaid). It’s not even close.

Just shows how good of a chassis they built for the CTR, and how disappointing the plaid is on that course.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Mate Rimac .... Makes Elon look like PT Barnum.
I'm pretty sure if you search "PT Barnum" on this forum, you'll find other comparisons of him to Musk, without even bringing Rimac into the discussion. ;)

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Interesting. I would still concur that handling is more important than acceleration based on those numbers.

In the acceleration department, the CTR is slow in comparison (US spec runs a 14.0 at 102 mph). With an extra 14 hp the euro can’t be much faster.

In the same 14 seconds the cars we are comparing will be doing 125 (Z/28) to 170 mph (plaid). It’s not even close.

Just shows how good of a chassis they built for the CTR, and how disappointing the plaid is on that course.
Picking nits here but most CTRs will hit 13.6-13.8 105-106 with a good driver in the 1/4, that 102 is an outlier. But, yes, excellent chassis setup. And although it doesn’t handle as well as the Taycan Turbo S, I think the lap time limiting factor is still the battery pack.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
How many threads does the 2.0T have to infest?

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Country flag
As you know from other threads, we’re on the same page re: power limiting issue.

My comment about doing great on track is based on chassis/steering/braking performance, separate from the power issue. The current high point of the 4X for enthusiast types is the neutral chassis balance, steering feel, and damper tuning. After seeing the Throttle House review I checked it out myself, and it is true. Even on horrific, low-grip 225/55-19 Michelin Primacy touring tires you can feel the responses to inputs that let you know it’s special.

So, you take that already well sorted chassis and then tune it for the track and you can really do something. And although I believe GM’s chassis engineers are the best in the business currently, Ford has really closed the gap since the S550 launch in 2015. Big time.

On big tracks like VIR, COTA and the like the GT isn’t ready for prime time with the power cut issue but at those small technical tracks that Throttle House, Edmunds, MT and those guys use it is absolutely gonna kill the competition.

And yes, I understood Unbridled Extend to be a track use mode that would allow multiple laps without battery cooling issues and drastic power loss. But not full-tilt boogie the whole time. Basically, it was a shot across the bow of Tesla, which is notorious for shitting the bed in hard lapping. Less so with the 3 than the S. But still.
Old Model S and X both would get into thermal overload pretty easily on the track. My 2018 Model 3 ran lap after lap at the NCM Motorsports Park in 2019 during the Tesla Midwest Gathering without any overheating or trimming back power. It was a hot day too (95F+). The pre-refreshed Model S and X that were there all slowed down after just one lap (3.5 mile track configuration).

This should no longer an issue with the refreshed S (Long Range or Plaid), we'll see if it also is better for Refreshed X when it ships next year.

I sure hope to see some tuning by Ford, the Mach-E has got to have more in it than this. Probably Ford being very careful.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
....I think the lap time limiting factor is still the battery pack.
I'd bet it's thermal limiting in battery pack, then motor...., then the controller programming limits on rpm and controller current probably being pretty conservative for 10-yr/100k mile warranty.

A very interesting 'performance package' would be an all-aluminum battery pack optimized for cooling with no insulation, and linear fins on the bottom for max air-cooling assist.... and an upgraded heat-pump with some ducting optimized for cooling to extract as much heat as possible from battery coolant and motor.

kikibop

First Name
kiki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mustang Mach-E E4x Space White / '15 Prius
Occupation
Product Design
Country flag
these clowns make some of the dullest, uninteresting, vanilla, sleep-inducing reviews on the internet. And in this episode, in addition to their usual dreg, they somehow tweak the color balance from shot to shot in new, jarring, confusing and embarrassing ways. Wonderful. Thanks for sharing this crap.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
these clowns make some of the dullest, uninteresting, vanilla, sleep-inducing reviews on the internet

Says the commenter who also owns a ‘15 Prius. So, an expert in the subject. ?

kikibop

First Name
kiki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mustang Mach-E E4x Space White / '15 Prius
Occupation
Product Design
Country flag
Says the commenter who also owns a ‘15 Prius. So, an expert in the subject. ?
While I happen to abhor the Prius, unlike you I have the good sense not to ridicule valid observations.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
While I happen to abhor the Prius, unlike you I have the good sense not to ridicule valid observations.
To be clear he didn’t ridicule the observation.

If anything he probably agrees with you.

I know it’s hard not to take offense when he made a joke at your expense, but I’m sure it wasn’t meant to be personal.

Not like anyone buys a Prius expecting anything other than dull, boring, vanilla. It is what it is.
Sponsored