Mach-E GTPE?

Mwahaha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corolla
I’ve been going through the forums so much lately and I am finally on my way to test drive the one I have reserved, I’m still SO TORN between that or the model y performance. Looking for a mom car but also love speed. Any last minute advice? Anything helps!
Sponsored

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
If you want a more accurate range display vs one that never changes and always says you have more than you do, Mach e

Carplay or android auto - Mach e

want to pay less and get the $7,500 tax rebate - Mach e

Hands free driving - Mach e

Adjustable suspension - Mach e

Don’t want to deal with 5 second power limit (very rarely hit this in real life driving) - Model Y

Better software and over the air updates - Model Y

Really comes down to price, looks and seat comfort. I personally preferred the MME seats in the GT PE and like the looks a million times more than a Model Y, especially with the way better color options on MMEs. I also didn’t realize how amazing and awesome wireless CarPlay is, makes me not care about the laggy MME software since I rarely use it.

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
I’ve been going through the forums so much lately and I am finally on my way to test drive the one I have reserved, I’m still SO TORN between that or the model y performance. Looking for a mom car but also love speed. Any last minute advice? Anything helps!
Just get the Mach E GTPE. Anyone can get at Tesla. You pull up in a GT and it’s the wow factor. Trust me I ordered a Select and am still waiting. If price wasn’t an issue ($98k Can. Dollars) for a GTPE, there would be no question that is the vehicle. White Teslas are literally everywhere here.

P65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Ice White Ed AWD ER premium
Country flag
Test drive it, specially on serpentine road ... and push it .. if you don't get a big smile, then it's up to you

Matt Bagne

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio, Ford Bronco on order
Country flag
From my perspective Tesla is being overexposed . . . they are everywhere now so if you get a Tesla it is not unique, it therefore seems to be losing its cool factor. MME is still very fresh, and should remain so for the next few years (at least in comparison to Tesla), so to avid being "just another Tesla", get the MME.

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
As a Model 3 owner, I think both are good choices. If the Y still qualified for the federal tax credit, it would have been a very difficult choice for me. The much lower Mach E's overall cost is much of the basis of my decision to order one over a Y. Although for people paying ADM over MSRP, I'd guess pricing is much closer.

I don't think CarPlay / Android Auto is much of an advantage at all over Tesla's infotainment system. Tesla's Nav is awesome and does a great job with routing for charging on long trips. Their lack of AM radio is something I don't love, and software can be buggy at times, but I've heard the same thing about the Mach E's bugginess.

Mach E will handle better than the Y, Y will be quicker than the Mach E.

Supercharging network is leaps and bounds better than the CCS fast charging network, although over time the CCS network will expand. Charging speed is faster for the Y. A couple important differences if road tripping matters to you.

Tesla's service has been great, mobile Ranger is super convenient, and I like dealing with corporate-owned service as opposed to a dealer. That said, I like Ford's lineage.

Mach E is a subjectively better looking car, although I think both look good.

I like Tesla's standard Enhanced Autopilot system a lot - the part with lanekeeping and intelligent cruise. The full "autopilot" is definitely not ready for prime time. I haven't experienced Ford's systems so I can't compare.

From what I can tell so far, Mach E's interior materials and fit/finish are superior. Tesla does have more rear legroom though.

Ford has more nanny features - which I think is a good thing. Most notably, I wish Tesla had cross-traffic warnings.

Tesla's sentry system and dashcam features are super nice.

Tesla has a better warranty.

So each car has its advantages and disadvantages. You'd do well to drive both and make a decision. I'd also suggest joining a Tesla forum - the crowd here is unabashedly Mach E enthusiasts and will be biased toward the Ford, and you can get the opposite perspective on those forums to help balance things out.

I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever you decide to buy.

Zer0t

Threads
Reaction score
Rumson, NJ; Marco Island, FL; Amelia Island, FL
Vehicles
2023 Model S Plaid
Country flag
I have a model Y performance and a Mach-E GT. I would say the biggest issue with the MY Perf is the harsh ride. It’s as rough as my 996 Porsche GT3. The range is also only slightly better than the MME.

I still think the Tesla is a slightly better EV, charging, application of power and the charging network, but the GTPE is a better car for everyday use. It’s much more comfortable, better ride, better looks.

Last edited:

cab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2013 Tesla Model S
Country flag
If you can, rent each of them for a day (or more?) on Turo. There is nothing like a full day test drive to give you a feel for a car and you get to drive it on the roads YOU will be driving on every day. We rented a Model Y for 2 days and Polestar 2 for one day last September (note: it also helps to treat my "car guy" disorder).

thewraith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FD RX7(2J)/'21 Mach E GTP/'65 'stang, '22 BMW X5
Country flag
As a former model y performance owner and also a car nut that has owned everything from gallardos to vipers to gtrs and 911s. The magnaride is the best suspension I have ever driven. That alone would steer me towards the gtpe every single time.

I also like cars that are more unique (like my fd). Thus far in the DC area- I don't see many gts or gtpes, model y's are like the dc metro "go to"- there are 12 in the 30 or so homes near my house along with even more model 3s.

Zer0t

Threads
Reaction score
Rumson, NJ; Marco Island, FL; Amelia Island, FL
Vehicles
2023 Model S Plaid
Country flag
As a former model y performance owner and also a car nut that has owned everything from gallardos to vipers to gtrs and 911s. The magnaride is the best suspension I have ever driven. That alone would steer me towards the gtpe every single time.

I also like cars that are more unique (like my fd). Thus far in the DC area- I don't see many gts or gtpes, model y's are like the dc metro "go to"- there are 12 in the 30 or so homes near my house along with even more model 3s.
I only consider the GTPE because of the suspension as well. It's shockingly good and worth every penny considering how much we enjoy the car.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
I have both. If you're going electric, you really can't go wrong with either.
I think the Model Y is more a more Mature product in the sense that tesla has worked out all the big bugs, while the Mach E still has some teething issues. Model Y is faster especially after 70. Its also more efficient. The interior is also much more voluminous, especially the back seat.

Looks are subjective, but most would agree that the GTPE looks better. Suspension is about the same, both feels very heavy, but the Y sticks better because of wider tires.

The Y is also more efficient. But overall range is about the same despite what the GOM is reporting.
Standard Autopilot is way ahead of blue cruise.

1 PD is also better than the GTPE

Build quality overall is better on the GTPE.

Service seems to be better on Tesla, but that may change as FORD dealers get up to speed once they have more experience with electric vehicles, but we're probably talking about 4-5 years down the line.

jeffvick2005

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 TSX, 2017 Civic, MACHE GT grabber blue
Occupation
CPA
Country flag
I really like the look of the MME...but ultimately it was the $7,500 in tax incentives that persuaded me. Unfortunately, if you don't have one on order, it will likely be a $3,750 incentive.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I have a model Y performance and a Mach-E GT. I would say the biggest issue with the MY Perf is the harsh ride. It’s as rough as my 996 Porsche GT3. The range is also only slightly better.

I still think the Tesla is a slightly better EV, charging, application of power and the charging network, but the GTPE is a better car for everyday use. It’s much more comfortable, better ride, better looks.
It’s more practical as a daily driver than my Ferrari 812 GTS, but doesn’t ride as well as my Bentley Bentayga.

Hope this helps!

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
If you want the “mom car” that literally every other mom drives, get the Y.

If you don’t want to show up to prom wearing the same dress as all your friends, GTPE.

There are already over 500,000 model Ys on the road. And they all look the same.

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/02/21/tesla-model-y-crosses-500000-sales-in-just-2-years/amp/

I’ve only seen two other GTs on the road in 6 months.

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag