Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
We stopped by the Tesla dealer in Mission Viejo while in SoCal and checked out the Model Y again. Presenting their vehicles in a comfortable, indoor environment for first-time EV buyers gives Tesla a significant advantage. Their cars are nice. I told the salesman the reasons why I chose the Mach-E: Tesla's lack of a driver's screen and, except for the Model S, their styling, where the faults show up more when they are seen on the road. When told that the lack of a $7500 tax credit was a major factor, the salesman responded that Tesla's goal was to see more EVs on the road, whether or not they are Teslas.
Over 70% of the Model Ys we saw on the road (or on car carriers) were white, which does slightly upgrade its looks.
That's a great response from the salesman.
We visited an Audi dealer on Saturday and test drove the E-Tron Sportback. That dealership was really nice as well (even had a coffee lounge), but showing a car in a mall store or equivalent is a big plus for Tesla.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Honestly for me the rear window and lack of visibility was enough of a reason to kill this vehicle for me. With so many people accepting of it though I'm guessing people don't use their rear view mirror or turn and look through the windows as much as I do ?

Don't know what they were thinking with that
The rear window is like looking out a periscope or something. I also didn't like the lack of a 360 camera view or even front camera when puling into our garage.

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
Human behavior is so funny... It's like they bought into an exclusive club then found out there's another club that's cooler...
Maybe they are stock holders and have some personal vested interest in Tesla's performance, I doubt it but at least that might explain things a bit. I know one thing for sure, if the MME didn't have anything going for it Tesla fanboys wouldn't pay any attention to it at all. Their sometimes visceral reaction to any mention of the MME should be proof enough it is a worthy competitor. Regardless of what the product or service is, true competition is a great thing for consumers.

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag

lwilliams0514

First Name
Lashawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E Premium RWD
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Human behavior is so funny... It's like they bought into an exclusive club then found out there's another club that's cooler...
Lmaooooo this is soooo true on so many levels. I have actually seen Tesla owners kind of turning their nose up at my MME. Its cool though... they really will be salty when some other competitors like Rivian get into the space as well. What are they gonna do when the SUV comes out with 300 mile rage in a car that looks similar to a Ford Flex. LOL

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
An hour is a long time to watch. I would be more interested in a shorter summary.
Agree, I think youtuber's must get paid on how long their videos are or something. I just close anything that's 15+ minutes. 54 minutes is longer than most full length TV shows.

ay221

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718 Cayman GTS
Country flag
The new S is the only one that looks decent, at least to me. Would be something to consider with 412 mile range and 0-60 in 3.1 seconds for the cheap one. Stuff like build quality and a yoke for a steering wheel is a put off though.

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag
An hour is a long time to watch. I would be more interested in a shorter summary.
Agree, I think youtuber's must get paid on how long their videos are or something. I just close anything that's 15+ minutes. 54 minutes is longer than most full length TV shows.
We normally do quite a bit shorter. Some YouTubers get paid more for long videos, but I disable the mid-stream ads on purpose.

We felt this one had to be long to sorta prove that we gave the Y serious consideration, give details and examples that proved our points, etc. It was actually a pain to make (took a couple weeks of editing). A shorter one would have been way easier.

In the end, the Tesla stans are still pretty upset and saying we didn't give a chance and didn't spend enough time in the car.

Oh well.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I felt that the video was for the most part balanced and objective. Of course, I now have a dog in the fight ? so maybe I am viewing the video through Grabber Blue colored glasses. You outlined several things you thought the MY did better, and several things the MME did better.

BTW, when you were looking for your tail light, it hurt a little, but it was also humorous.

SbN

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E, First Edition
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Great write-up. The other point that I would give Tesla over Ford is the knowledge base of the MME at their service centers. I have a MME FE, and several Ford dealerships in the Kansas City area. The ordering process was terrible(I ended up canceling my order and getting one already in stock in St Louis). And the other day when I called about installing the dash cam on the Ford accessory page, they were unsure if they could install it or not and then they asked me if it came with instructions.

I'm sure the dealerships will get better and more knowledgeable about the MME, but for now it's a little disheartening that I can't get some simple questions answered.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
In the end, the Tesla stans are still pretty upset and saying we didn't give a chance and didn't spend enough time in the car.

Oh well.
A month is way longer than most reviews I've come across, and long enough IMO to formulate a good impression of how the car drives. Perhaps the longer you spend with the car, the more you are forced to adapt to (or forget) the quirks and shortcomings?

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag
A month is way longer than most reviews I've come across, and long enough IMO to formulate a good impression of how the car drives. Perhaps the longer you spend with the car, the more you are forced to adapt to (or forget) the quirks and shortcomings?
I was only in the Tesla for 4 days and 3 of the days I was working. I was in the Mach-E for just over a month.

But yeah, reviews can be hard because if you don't spend enough time in a car, you may not know all the features. And if you spend too much time, you forget some quirks and also some nice features. I actually cut out a couple of things because I learned later that I was just doing it wrong. Of course, I could be like Sandy Munro and just claim the whole system is crap if I can't figure it out in 5 minutes.
Sponsored