John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
True, Sandy may be out of his comfort level with electric motors moving cars.

The thing to keep in mind about his videos, whether they're about the MME, the id4, or the Ford Lightning (someday), is that these are all Infomercials. They're designed to sell his services and reports on the cars and little more. Yes, he does try to crowdsource the purchases of new vehicles, but the videos are intended to pique curiosity and drive corporate customers to the real, and very detailed reports. Want to know what those say? You can buy it, just as Ford, Tesla, and anyone else can. They are quite pricey though.
He’s probably making bank as a YouTube star now too.
Sponsored

Exocet123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Focus EV, 2015 Exocet, 2006 RSX
Country flag
There are things that can actually be learned from a tear down of the motor: stack length, diameter, air gap, torque density, concentrated or distributed winding, copper fill factor, rotor skew etc.

These are metrics that could actually be used to compare competition. Unfortunately, Sandy doesn't understand any of that, and would never recruit someone that did at the risk of taking away from his spotlight that he loves so much.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Even if he's wrong or spouts off at least the videos are interesting. I'm not aware of any other tear downs of the latest EVs part by part?
Becouse views sale and the mache is hot as the sun right now. It's the first true price range and drive exp comparable to a tesla.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Knew it had a park pin. It rolls back and I feel it click in sometimes. I see no huge weight problem in the old familiar safety of a park pin (when it clicks in it feels nostalgic and comfortable ;)). It is something that has worked for a long time. On the plus side my rotors still look brand new.

Nyc_rock

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Grand Cherokee
Country flag
I’m surprised to see all the shade being thrown on Sandy. I just came across his video’s and find them to be fascinating and entertaining. I’ll readily admit that most of the technical aspects of his video’s go way over my head. Overall, I think he really likes the MME. His criticisms seem mostly focused on the reusing of parts that were in the Ford inventory as opposed to Tesla which had the advantage of starting from scratch.

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
True, Sandy may be out of his comfort level with electric motors moving cars.

The thing to keep in mind about his videos, whether they're about the MME, the id4, or the Ford Lightning (someday), is that these are all Infomercials. They're designed to sell his services and reports on the cars and little more. Yes, he does try to crowdsource the purchases of new vehicles, but the videos are intended to pique curiosity and drive corporate customers to the real, and very detailed reports. Want to know what those say? You can buy it, just as Ford, Tesla, and anyone else can. They are quite pricey though.
I'm getting the same vibe as Kamuelaflyer. Its sounding like Sandy wants to sell his his "expertise" to Ford. I don't have a problem with that, but along with any sale's job comes exaggeration of little problems.

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
I’m surprised to see all the shade being thrown on Sandy. I just came across his video’s and find them to be fascinating and entertaining. I’ll readily admit that most of the technical aspects of his video’s go way over my head. Overall, I think he really likes the MME. His criticisms seem mostly focused on the reusing of parts that were in the Ford inventory as opposed to Tesla which had the advantage of starting from scratch.
I'd love to know the current cost of producing MY compared to cost of producing similar MMe. When Ford first announced the MMe, I remember a Ford rep saying the MMe would be making money for Ford right off the bat.

Randy E.

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KIA Telluride EX 2018 KIA Stinger GT AWD
Occupation
Component Sales
Country flag
Ford moved quickly with the Mach-e and has had to lean heavily on others for EV solutions. As a result BW looks to be a key player.

Tesla is quite a bit of in-home engineering design, at time fro better, other times for worse.

VW is massive and has money to throw into their own engineering EV world.

Moving forward, I can hope Ford takes over more of the EV drivetrain design, and the CM world around them simply supports. For now they are not there. In five years, again, I hope so…

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Yup. Some people get way too emotional when it comes to criticisms. If you disagree with his comments or positions, take it for what it is...a great tear down video...and move on. No need for salt.

EVready

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB GLC300, BMW M240xi, Lexus RX350
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Yup. Some people get way too emotional when it comes to criticisms. If you disagree with his comments or positions, take it for what it is...a great tear down video...and move on. No need for salt.
This ^

Also, keep in mind the level of engineering contained in a vehicle is typically only part of the decision process before purchasing. Servicing has got to be up there as well, and I have read horror stories about Teslas as well as the ME. It'll be fun and informative to see how all this plays out.....grab a seat : )

J Duce

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Sport
Country flag
I agree. Some like him when he says good things. Then dislike when he says something negative.

My take is that he brings some experience to the reviews, though some of the technical stuff goes over my head as well. But for the most part, he is reviewing blindly and unfortunately at times makes assumptions or questions what another engineer(s) worked hard to design. I think it would be best if he spoke with the engineers and designers to get a better understand why they designed it that way -- at least to the extent they can forthcoming with proprietary or non-public information. I find that to be annoying but take it with a grain of salt -- e.g., questioning why Ford used x number of fasteners or bolts, when he thinks they should have used half the amount or a different bolt. I don't quite understand his thinking, but he cannot be the only smart engineer out there or there are always different and viable means and method to final designs.

That said, I like the tear downs because it is educational, even with some obvious bias.
Sponsored

Last edited: