Alex429

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Select
Country flag
I just got my car today. Electrician hooked up the NEMA 14-50 wall outlet. When I plug in to it it’s only charging at roughly 3 miles/hour instead of the 20 it should. My system seems updated. Anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Are you using the included charger?
The included charger is designed to be on a 40 amp circuit and pull 32 amps.
If you have a 30 amp circuit, it should be rated to charge at 24 amps, which the included charger isn’t set to do. So I’m kinda surprised it is charging at all. I would expected it to trip the breaker.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
I just got my car today. Electrician hooked up the 240V/30A NEMA 14-50 wall outlet. When I plug in to it it’s only charging at roughly 3 miles/hour instead of the 20 it should. My system seems updated. Anyone have any suggestions?
Are you sure its a 30A circuit he installed? That outlet would typically be on a 50A circuit breaker (hence the -50 part of the name).

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Also, how much power is being added to the car. FordPass should show how many kwh have been added. Measuring energy by miles added is not a good measure as my driving style and outside temp will be way different than anyone else’s. So I may get 6 miles out of 3kwh added to the battery. Someone else may get 15 miles out of the same kwh.

OP
OP

Alex429

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are you sure its a 30A circuit he installed? That outlet would typically be on a 50A circuit breaker (hence the -50 part of the name).
Yep it’s 50 amps in the breaker box. Sorry I was just copying from the photo I pulled from fords site. I attached photo here.

3FB1BED4-3C59-418C-AF16-B4D73DFD3EEF.jpeg

OP
OP

Alex429

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Also, how much power is being added to the car. FordPass should show how many kwh have been added. Measuring energy by miles added is not a good measure as my driving style and outside temp will be way different than anyone else’s. So I may get 6 miles out of 3kwh added to the battery. Someone else may get 15 miles out of the same kwh.
where does it show that in FordPass? See photo here:

5B8DC693-5A4D-4F24-8D66-DD137AC35668.png

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I just got my car today. Electrician hooked up the 240V/30A NEMA 14-50 wall outlet. When I plug in to it it’s only charging at roughly 3 miles/hour instead of the 20 it should. My system seems updated. Anyone have any suggestions?
I suggest a new electrician if they installed a 30 AMP breaker with a 14-50 outlet. If this really was the case the breaker would trip when using a 32 amp charger. Are you using the supplied Ford charger?

OP
OP

Alex429

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I suggest a new electrician if they installed a 30 AMP breaker with a 14-50 outlet. If this really was the case the breaker would trip when using a 32 amp charger. Are you using the supplied Ford charger?
I was wrong. It’s a 50 amp circuit. And yes using Ford supplied charger.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I was wrong. It’s a 50 amp circuit. And yes using Ford supplied charger.
Next question, did you set the home charge location and timing from the center console screen?

OP
OP

Alex429

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Next question, did you set the home charge location and timing from the center console screen?
Nope. I will look into that now! Sorry if this seems dumb. Got car delivered Instead of picking up at dealership and having them walk me through everything.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Something is wrong. If you have a multi tester probe the outlet and make sure you are getting 240v (120v on each phase). Ground where ground is and neutral. It sounds like you are getting 120v instead.

A tester is about $10.00 at harbor freight Or Walmart.

something may be wired incorrectly. There is a 110v 50 amp unit/breaker used for RVs. Maybe a neutral and hot is reversed on the receptacle Or broken. You are charging at a 110v level Or less.

I assume you have unplugged and plugged back in, also make sure the 240 V plug adapter is fully plugged into the charger.

I would test it with a meter before you rely on it to charge And to be safe, until tested, I would turn the breaker off,

your charger could be defective, I guess, as well.

https://homesteady.com/how-7449421-test-240-volt-receptacles.html

Tbird

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4x 2021 job 1
Country flag
I suggest you try a different charger. The supplied charger is probably bad. Any ford dealer should have a charger you could try and see if your car charges there.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Something is wrong. If you have a multi tester probe the outlet and make sure you are getting 240v (120v on each phase). Ground where ground is and neutral. It sounds like you are getting 120v instead.
This reminds me of the 14-50 I had installed at our previous house. The electrician wired the whole thing up and as a last check probed to see that the voltages were correct.
The voltages were not correct because he didn't look at the diagram on the outlet and had swapped one of the hots with the neutral. Fortunately, he took the whole thing back off and fixed it immediately, but I never would have thought to check that before plugging something in.

Agreed with above, don't use that outlet anymore until you can confirm you're getting the expected voltage on each prong.

Reactions: ARK

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I just got my car today. Electrician hooked up the NEMA 14-50 wall outlet. When I plug in to it it’s only charging at roughly 3 miles/hour instead of the 20 it should. My system seems updated. Anyone have any suggestions?
Don't panic. Let it charge. If using FordPass to monitor then be advised it is known to be a little off.....especially for the first few charge events.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
FordPass should show how many kwh have been added. Measuring energy by miles added is not a good measure as my driving style and outside temp will be way different than anyone else’s.
HA! I've not seen that work for months, let alone be accurate. I had it show over 100mWh once on at 30 something percent charge lol

But ya, I'd have the electrician come back out and check the socket to make sure its putting out the full 240. Also be worth verifying what wire was installed and how long of run of wire was installed. If its a super long run that can drop your charge a lot, although not down to 3kWh I can't image.

Run the car down a bit, plug it in and see how long it takes to charge.
Sponsored