Mach e Start button

Black e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium Standard Range AWD
Country flag
Will the OTA get rid of the need or make STAR/STOP as optional like in some other EV's?
Does this need a seat sensor or Software update to achieve this.
This wil remove the dilemma of if the car is still on !!!
Sponsored

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
Simply put: no. It isn't going anywhere and Ford hasn't indicated that they are planning on getting rid of it, or bypassing it.

OP
OP

Black e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium Standard Range AWD
Country flag
I agree, nothing was in the roadmap but considering everything in the car is OTA capable(From FORD), i am thinking this could be in their roadmap for a future OTA(lower priority)

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Will the OTA get rid of the need or make STAR/STOP as optional like in some other EV's?
Does this need a seat sensor or Software update to achieve this.
No way. Ford's modules depend on those signals, they are hard coded into the module design. The vehicle architecture and modules would have to be completely redesigned from scratch. Ford is using a lot of tech borrowed from their ICE vehicles so it would be expensive and complicated to make that kind of drastic change to the system architecture exclusively for EVs. I don't see the start button going away any time soon, maybe in 10 years time.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag

No it won't. Some logic sequence still has to decide if the car is on or off... and unlike using an On/Off switch, it sometimes assumes wrong.

I get that it is novel to not have an on/off switch for the car, but i don't get that it is desirable.

Last edited:

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I get that is is novel to not have an on/off switch for the car, but i don't get that it is desirable.
Yeah it's not a big deal to me. It keeps parity with ICE vehicles. If you own a Tesla and then drive an ICE you might forget to turn it off. Also, pressing a physical button is more satisfying in an increasingly "touchscreen" world.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Yeah it's not a big deal to me. It keeps parity with ICE vehicles. If you own a Tesla and then drive an ICE you might forget to turn it off. Also, pressing a physical button is more satisfying in an increasingly "touchscreen" world.
Couldn't agree more, I don't understand this desire to not have a button for something as significant as powering the system on or off.

Outside of the car context, an electronic that can't be turned off is usually the sign of a cost-cutting measure. At the hardware store, the cheaper power tools are generally the ones that don't have an on/off switch and instead simply begin operating when plugged in. Pass.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Couldn't agree more, I don't understand this desire to not have a button for something as significant as powering the system on or off.

Outside of the car context, an electronic that can't be turned off is usually the sign of a cost-cutting measure. At the hardware store, the cheaper power tools are generally the ones that don't have an on/off switch and instead simply begin operating when plugged in. Pass.
I hate that my popcorn maker doesn’t have a power switch. Thank goodness my car does.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag

It depends on how well it's implemented and how reliable it is. It's a quality of life issue. On my MY, its pretty nice to just walk up to the car, get in and go. And when you're done, just get out of the car and be on your way. When I first got the MachE, I forgot to turn off the car a few times because I was so accustomed to how seamless the Tesla was.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Maybe I am old. I don’t understand how using the ONOFF switch is a problem. While the button is new to me, it’s similar to using the key cylinder in the steering column or (in the case of really old car designs like my Blazer) on the dashboard. When I sit in front of my computer, I have to do something to turn it on or wake it up, like pushing a button or moving the mouse. My phone requires me to either lift it up or hit a button to wake it up. 🤷‍♂️🐩

Reactions: ARK

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
Driving my Tesla every day, I can attest to this. I often catch myself forgetting to turn off my MME or other cars with a start button. Would be nice if vehicles could move towards a "no button" future (optional for those of you who still prefer the physical affirmation).

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Maybe I am old. I don’t understand how using the ONOFF switch is a problem. While the button is new to me, it’s similar to using the key cylinder in the steering column or (in the case of really old car designs like my Blazer) on the dashboard. When I sit in front of my computer, I have to do something to turn it on or wake it up, like pushing a button or moving the mouse. My phone requires me to either lift it up or hit a button to wake it up. 🤷‍♂️🐩
Its not a problem, but it could be more efficient. Like moving your mouse to start the computer, in a Tesla, you get in the car and change gear and go. It's a quality of life thing.

Before you needed to put the key in and twist. Worked fine for decades. Then they developed keyless entry where you only needed a keyfob in your pocket and can start the car with "a push of a button." Next step is to eliminate the button.
Sponsored