Mach-e trims - panoramic roof vs range

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
It's not hot. the uv tint works great. More for me just to have in case need to keep people from seeing in. Airport parking things like that.
Good point. The guys in Phoenix aren't worried about it and honestly neither am I. If it did become an issue, this is what I'd do. The peering eyes thing is a great idea even though I avoid airports at all costs now. ;)
Sponsored

OP
OP

Dana

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Bolt EV
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The Chevy Bolt has a metal roof, will get 260 miles of range, is $10K less than either a ID4 or a MME, and has been crash tested, achieving a 5 star rating.

Simple solution if you want simple.
this is already on my list to buy. There will be so much after market product.
Things like these will be available soon after the car hits the streets.

Get a Route 1, Head south towards Santa Cruz on 17, stop in Ben Lomond for coffee, swing back to Highway 1 in your Route 1. Recharge down in Monterey or Big Sur. Wash, rinse, repeat.

https://www.tesmanian.com/products/ford-mustang-mach-e-glass-roof-sunshade
Mach-E-Sunshade_2000x.jpg
Things like these will be available soon after the car hits the streets.

Get a Route 1, Head south towards Santa Cruz on 17, stop in Ben Lomond for coffee, swing back to Highway 1 in your Route 1. Recharge down in Monterey or Big Sur. Wash, rinse, repeat.

https://www.tesmanian.com/products/ford-mustang-mach-e-glass-roof-sunshade
Mach-E-Sunshade_2000x.jpg
Thanks on that, shade should help! Amazing that such products are ready to roll out! At least a shade would block out light which would make it feel cooler. Ha, ha, makes sense, get a Mach-e Ca Route 1 for Route 1 travel. Yup, that trip you describe is one I often make. Still with ID.4 panoramic roofs come with a slick motor driven shade, something I don't think even Tesla has. (However, that power shade might be problematic I'd guess). $70 shade shown above might be better - just leave it in place all the time. Guess I'll order up a Route 1 after all....

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Thanks on that, shade should help! Amazing that such products are ready to roll out! At least a shade would block out light which would make it feel cooler. Ha, ha, makes sense, get a Mach-e Ca Route 1 for Route 1 travel. Yup, that trip you describe is one I often make. Still with ID.4 panoramic roofs come with a slick motor driven shade, something I don't think even Tesla has. (However, that power shade might be problematic I'd guess). $70 shade shown above might be better - just leave it in place all the time. Guess I'll order up a Route 1 after all....
@trutolife27 is correct though. The coatings on the sunroof should prevent the South Bay’s sun from heating the thing up at all. Give it a season and see.

I grew up in Fremont and went to San Jose State. Heading down over 17 to Santa Cruz, Aptos and the redwoods was one of my favorite ways to avoid school. ;)

Last edited:

uncle_0gre

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 Mach 1 428 CJ
Country flag
The route 1 has a glass roof. The only 2 versions with metal roof are the Select and GT. The Select cannot have an ER battery, the GT only has ER battery.
TIL the GT won’t have the glass roof.
Anyone know if it’ll be an option?

or

is there some efficiency/safety/engineering decision to not have it?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
TIL the GT won’t have the glass roof.
Anyone know if it’ll be an option?

or

is there some efficiency/safety/engineering decision to not have it?
it will be an option on the GT, at least for now. We won't know for certain until they finalize GT configurations.

Bob Foss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Bolt, Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired USAF officer
Country flag
Am I right in that you can't get a long range Mach-e with a steel roof? I would be very pleased to learn that I read the trim levels incorrectly. Some find panoramic roofs too hot in the summer. In fact on Teslas some are adding film to both sides, and it costs $$. Unless if Ford has some very special glass both UVA and heat waves are likely to penetrate making it uncomfortable for some and requiring more energy to cool and heat the cabin, thereby cutting into range somewhat. The longest range for ID.4's is 250 miles, but at least it is available with a metal roof. The other thing, in a rollover, and even EV's can roll, the steel roof may be stronger, or at least reduce injuries from flying glass. We'll know more about that next year as both the Mach-e and ID.4 are to be crash tested by NHTSA.
Unfortunately, you are correct. I re-checked this morning, and the Select and GT versions have 230 and 250 hp respectively. I live in Las Vegas and today it is 114, so I don't want a glass roof with no shade. I loved my 2017 Bolt Premier that I leased....one of the best cars I've had in 58 years of driving.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
for me just to have in case need to keep people from seeing in. Airport parking things like that.
The roof is tinted so dark that you cant see in through it.

Major

First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I live in Texas and I can say that so far I have not noticed the car getting any more hot than the Priuses I previously owned.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Unfortunately, you are correct. I re-checked this morning, and the Select and GT versions have 230 and 250 hp respectively. I live in Las Vegas and today it is 114, so I don't want a glass roof with no shade. I loved my 2017 Bolt Premier that I leased....one of the best cars I've had in 58 years of driving.
The glass roof doesn't let in any more heat than a traditional painted roof. It might even be less. It's fantastic.

RunningHorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
The mach e premium has low e coating glass roof AND windshield. It fares way better in heat than tesla.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The mach e premium has low e coating glass roof AND windshield. It fares way better in heat than tesla.
Agreed. MUCH better than Tesla.
Now that it is getting hot, I am beginning to become aware of the glass roof. Hasn't turned into an issue yet but prior to this week I had forgotten all about the glass roof. Now I am aware of it because I can feel the sun.

If it doesn't get any worse then I will be fine. If it progresses into the summer then I will have to do something about it. Either some tint or some shade etc.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I agree, we are now just about at the summer solstice for the northern hemisphere (meaning strongest sun rays), and unusually for June, much of the country is experiencing a very strong heatwave.

We are in sort of a now or never situation with the panoramic roof - if it performs well this week, people should never have an issue with it. So far, for me, and it looks like many others, the panoramic roof has been performing excellently - even during midday driving, I am not really feeling the heat, and this coming from someone who is a little bit crazy with this sort of thing - won't go outside during the day without a hat and sunglasses.

DeeS

First Name
Darrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Country flag
Previous Ford Mustang interior got hotter than Mach E .. I always just use a sunshade on front in general to reduce interior heat and find Mach E even with panoramic sunroof is more comfortable after being parked all day in sun drenched parking lot and cools quickly after starting

idkhow

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bateman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach-e premium, van down by the river
Occupation
it plumber, auto detailer
Country flag
the panoramic roof has been performing excellently
Can confirm. We were facing around 90+ degrees in NJ for a few days in a row, and even a cm or two away you can't feel heat.

Credit where it's due. I heard some scary buffeting once on the highway - but as long as the thing stays on, they perfected it.

And if it doesn't, they nailed the heat aspect.
Sponsored