Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
There's no evidence that I've seen, beyond speculation, that the Chinese government per se has access to our personal consumer data through EV manufacturers like Volvo and Polestar. Like I've said before every company is harvesting our personal data. Unfortunately that's just the result of living in this increasingly networked world.

The Volvo personal data notice is standard verbiage that every company has.

We can't even have a proper discussion on Volvo/Polestar in this forum because some members get so triggered. Like it or not, Chinese designed EVs are coming and they are upping the competition. It's fine if some people don't want to purchase for personal reasons but the rest of us are interested in the tech they're offering.

So start your own thread about potential CCP spyware instead of hijacking this one! :D
How is it a hijack if the OP specifically asks for us to post evidence?

While every manufacturer gets our personal data, only China requires it be sent to the government by law (as was posted in the article above). And Volvo tried to install cameras to monitor drivers and even shut their cars down (another article).

You asked for evidence and it was provided.

FWIW, I don’t really care. Everyone has and tracks our personal data these days. The most nefarious thing they do with it is send us marketing based on things they think we would like.

But again, only got involved because you asked for info.
Sponsored

OP
OP

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently car-less, but hope to get a MME!
Country flag
How is it a hijack if the OP specifically asks for us to post evidence?

While every manufacturer gets our personal data, only China requires it be sent to the government by law (as was posted in the article above). And Volvo tried to install cameras to monitor drivers and even shut their cars down (another article).

You asked for evidence and it was provided.

FWIW, I don’t really care. Everyone has and tracks our personal data these days. The most nefarious thing they do with it is send us marketing based on things they think we would like.

But again, only got involved because you asked for info.
Sorry Mach1E, I was referring to trolling by mkhuffman and DBPNW. Not you.

I read the Autoblog article that you posted, and while interesting, I don't think it's applicable to our discussion. The headline states "In China, your car could be spying on you to the government" (emphasis added). Certainly, Chinese citizens have little to no expectation of privacy when buying and driving Chinese cars made in China. However, our discussion concerns Chinese cars built in the US by American workers for use in the USA. I think we can expect as much privacy for Chinese cars built in the US as we do for other foreign manufacturers like Mercedes or BMW or Hyundai.

Geely has owned a majority share in Volvo/Polestar since 2015 and has probably manufactured millions of cars worldwide. I haven't seen any evidence of American or European owners' data being compromised.

As to the privacy agreement, that's standard verbiage. Look at Ford's Connected Vehicle Privacy Notice. When vehicles become more networked we lose some privacy. That's unfortunately the cost of having more advanced vehicles.

As to the interior camera, the 2025 Suburban/Tahoe are being equipped with interior cameras. But it's certainly not suggestive of the CIA/NSA/FBI wanting to check in on you, lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not CCP spyware. I don't have TikTok installed.
Hilarious that you're ok with an iPhone built in China but not a Chinese EV built in America. Your phone contains your most sensitive personal information, financial information, conversations, text messages, easily hackable and a nation state, if they really wanted your data, wouldn't need to use a lame social media app like TikTok to get it.

Should be consistent and throw out your iPhone, electronics, and clothing made in China.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Hilarious that you're ok with an iPhone built in China but not a Chinese EV built in America. Your phone contains your most sensitive personal information, financial information, conversations, text messages, easily hackable and a nation state, if they really wanted your data, wouldn't need to use a lame social media app like TikTok to get it.

Should be consistent and throw out your iPhone, electronics, and clothing made in China.
Fair point.

However ownership seems to matter more than location of manufacturing when it comes to the control of the Chinese government.

Although when manufactured in China for use in China….. spying on behalf of the government is mandatory.

As far as Apple goes, when even the US government demands access based on criminal activity…….. Apple tends to push back hard.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/07/technology/apple-fbi-iphone-encryption.html

OP
OP

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Fair point.

However ownership seems to matter more than location of manufacturing when it comes to the control of the Chinese government.

Although when manufactured in China for use in China….. spying on behalf of the government is mandatory.

As far as Apple goes, when even the US government demands access based on criminal activity…….. Apple tends to push back hard.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/07/technology/apple-fbi-iphone-encryption.html
So Apple claims. But according to the Snowden leak, didn't Apple agree to participate in PRISM? I find that troubling.

Fair points. Glad we can enjoy our EVs in the USA then. :)

I'll remember to put a styrofoam cup on top of my car's interior camera, lol.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
OP
OP

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have you read this?

https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/p...t-category-we-have-ever-reviewed-for-privacy/

Both Nissan and Kia say that they can collect information about your "Sex Life" in their privacy policy. Because that's necessary to drive a car right?
Don't have sex in a Kia or Nissan?

No, I didn't see that before and it's troubling. Seems like we can't have any privacy with a new car purchase. Probably need to start a new thread on this. Getting a little off topic.

Last edited:
OP
OP

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Price cut already and it's not even out yet. Original starting price was $85,300. Now it's $74,800 including a $1,400 destination charge. The $74.8k pricing is for the base trim "Long Range Dual Motor w/Pilot Pack" which includes Pilot Assist, Park Assist Pilot, Lane Change Assist and a HUD. Range is 315 miles

Could also qualify for $7,500 tax credit once production switches to South Carolina in mid-2024.

Last edited:

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Price cut already and it's not even out yet. Original starting price was $85,300. Now it's $74,800 including a $1,400 destination charge. The $74.8k pricing is for the base trim "Long Range Dual Motor w/Pilot Pack" which includes Pilot Assist, Park Assist Pilot, Lane Change Assist and a HUD.

Could also qualify for $7,500 tax credit once production switches to South Carolina in mid-2024.
China!

stealthytolkien

First Name
Pinak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
I don't think you're missing anything. I guess it's for people who love Polestar and/or want a Euro brand.
You mean Chinese brand? ;)
/s given all this discussion!

stealthytolkien

First Name
Pinak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Have you read this?

https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/p...t-category-we-have-ever-reviewed-for-privacy/

Both Nissan and Kia say that they can collect information about your "Sex Life" in their privacy policy. Because that's necessary to drive a car right?
Hey, some of us are tall some aren’t. It’s important to know the leg room in the rear and how the center console is / how much the gear shifter sticks out etc. so that passenger reaching over on the driver side is easier!
Sponsored