MW1515

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
I used to own a 2019 Bolt Premier which I loved but I like my MME even better. I've been meaning to do an in depth comparison and posting on the forum. A couple people have mentioned the much faster DC fast charging which is a very big deal if doing road trips, but L2 charging is faster too. 11kw or so for the MME vs. 7.2kw for the Bolt. Might not matter if charging overnight but would matter if charging in public and there are only L2s around (like in a parking garage). The trunk on the MME is much more usable than my Bolts was. And the software, while quirky, is much nicer and more like a Tesla in the MME vs. the Bolt. Those are the main things for me.
Sponsored

GrayWolf

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT (Star White Metallic)
Country flag
I owned a 2018 Premier and a 2022 LT2 before I made GM buy mine back due to the battery recall. Took that $$ and bought my MME.

I'll add to the list of thoughts regarding the Bolt - if going for the EUV, definitely take the Premier trim. The LT trims lose some creature feature/comfort items that really make the whole car experience feel pretty complete.

Be aware that the "My Chevrolet" app's usability will drop for 2022+ model owners much faster than it did for previous years' owners. GM sliced the "free use" of the app for things like remote door unlock/start/etc from 5 years down to I think 2 years. (You can read about this here: https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/a...-years-of-ev-mobile-command-for-a-2017.43823/ -- a quote from that thread:

Remote access is not the same as connected access. Remote access is what most people want for free and connected access is what you get for free ;)

it’s even worse for 2022 models, you have to pay to get the remote access after a month trial. For years prior at least you got 5 years of that for free.

OP
OP

PL281

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select (Build week 9/26/22)
Country flag
@GrayWolf

Thank you - and yes I did the EUV Premier in Red with the Illuminated Charging port - no other options.

I'm doing a 3 year lease so that isn't the end of the world.

Now it is a waiting game / who gets here first

Baron

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Armada, Nissan Pathfinder
Country flag
I owned two Bolts and now an MME GTPE. I really liked my Bolts. Lots of power and run to drive. I miss the paddle breaking. I would get the Bolt as my second family car over anything else due to the price. If you are looking to save money, at the end of the day, its a car to get around. A fun car at that…

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
We had a 2019 Bolt EV...before the EUV came out. I really really enjoyed driving that smaller car. It was quick, could turn and park it anywhere and was very dependable. (Never even had a the battery catch fire....) I would have keep it for commuting but the power of the V insisted that we needed a larger car that tow more adults could ride in. So, we got our Premium AWD Mach E. I love the Mach E, but have been looking for a 202o Bolt that has had the new battery put in as a running around car so I don't have to spend so much on Gas for my truck. For most people, the BOLT EV or EUV is perfectly fine for what they are designed for ( a running around town car).

GrayWolf

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT (Star White Metallic)
Country flag
@GrayWolf

Thank you - and yes I did the EUV Premier in Red with the Illuminated Charging port - no other options.

I'm doing a 3 year lease so that isn't the end of the world.

Now it is a waiting game / who gets here first
Cool! I'm confident that you will enjoy the heck out of it. I'm just soured pretty heavily on GM, in general, after my experience. The Bolt EV/EUV are killer for their price and form factor!

Richard L.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I too am leaning towards a Chevy but unfortunately not a Bolt. I love my 21 First Edition but my next vehicle needs to have performance, style and capacity. I have a reservation for a Blazer SS. By the time it comes to fruition my Mach E tech will be outdated. Looking forward to the next chapter in my life.

MidwestElectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Funny this popped up. I have a California RTE 1 RWD. Going to hopefully pick up at ‘22 Bolt EUV dirt cheap to trade for our other car (2019 Subaru) this week.

For 31k it has ventilated and heated seats plus heated steering wheel. Are you kidding me???

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I reserved a 2022 Bolt EUV and test drove it two weeks ago then declined it (primarily because I bought a MINI electric a month earlier). It's a great small city car for once a year road trips. At $31K for a loaded EUV LT it's a great deal. The interior quality surprised me... as most EVs have budgety interiors (here's look at you base ID.4)

I'd probably prefer a Premium RWD SR/ER over the Bolt but we are talking about $10K+ price difference after tax credit (and who knows about this). A Select RWD with tax credit would be in the ballpark price but the Bolt might have more features at the same price point - 360 camera, cooled seats, etc.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
@JamieGeek
Wow that looks clean and organized - I recall some folks saying the MME felt like the designers were getting paid by the inch of wiring based on how they routed some of the setup.
Remember that the Chevy Bolt is not GM's first electric car (it was the EV1), and the engineers have plenty of experience after laying out cabling for the two Volt generations, the Spark EV, and the first generation Bolt, all FWD.

But they could not save space for a frunk in the Cadillac Lyriq. There are some pictures online of its front end with the hood open, and the owner manual, available online at the Cadillac site, shows what is under its hood and how to access it.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
The comparison is like comparing apples to oranges. One of my alternate cars is an ‘02 Honda CR-V. The Bolt EUV is a nice cheaper EV and a worthy replacement for that if I was inclined to make another car payment.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Remember that the Chevy Bolt is not GM's first electric car (it was the EV1), and the engineers have plenty of experience after laying out cabling for the two Volt generations, the Spark EV, and the first generation Bolt, all FWD.

But they could not save space for a frunk in the Cadillac Lyriq. There are some pictures online of its front end with the hood open, and the owner manual, available online at the Cadillac site, shows what is under its hood and how to access it.
But “who killed the EV1?” Those engineers probably worked at Tesla in it’s startup.

mateo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
I am looking at a '23 Bolt EV to replace my 10 year old Honda Fit that's starting to need repairs every 3 months. That size is super convenient for city parking; even the extra 6 inches on the EUV is more than I want. The EV and the Fit are almost identical in terms of sizing, and to some degree overall exterior styling. People like to laugh at my Fit, but then when they see how easy it is to park, they get the point. The Bolt EV would serve the same niche for me.

So while I wouldn't compare the Bolt to the Mach-E directly (especially as I'm looking at EV vs GT), I think it will make a great second car for when I need to do some street parking and/or go somewhere I generally don't want to leave my Mach-E.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I am looking at a '23 Bolt EV to replace my 10 year old Honda Fit that's starting to need repairs every 3 months. That size is super convenient for city parking; even the extra 6 inches on the EUV is more than I want. The EV and the Fit are almost identical in terms of sizing, and to some degree overall exterior styling. People like to laugh at my Fit, but then when they see how easy it is to park, they get the point. The Bolt EV would serve the same niche for me.

So while I wouldn't compare the Bolt to the Mach-E directly (especially as I'm looking at EV vs GT), I think it will make a great second car for when I need to do some street parking and/or go somewhere I generally don't want to leave my Mach-E.
Your reasons are exactly why I looked at a Bolt too as a second car. I started commuting to a downtown office with a tiny multilevel parking garage with blind corners that I did not want to drive my Model Y to (at the time). The Bolt fits anywhere and you don’t have to baby it. Now with the price drop, it’s a great deal.

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
I owned a 2017 Blot EV for 4.5 years. Totally fun reliable commuter, and even a short road trip car. I now own a Premium RWD ER. Comparing the two cars is like comparing a Camry to a BMW 3 series. Or a Prius to a Miata. Totally different capabilities, driving dynamics/handling, and level of tech. Both do deliver very good value for the money.

The MME is definitely a more capable road trip car. We have done the SF to LA road trip in both cars. It was a lot easier in the MME because of the faster fast charging the MME is capable of, and the increased range. What required two or three charging stops just needed 1 or 2, and the only reason it needed two was less than ideal placement of chargers along the return leg of the trip (took a different route coming back).

Only you can decide what is the better value. The Bolt is potentially $15K to $20K cheaper than the MME. That amount of savings for a car that might not get used more than as a commuter is something to think about.
Sponsored