malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
0 to 60 no it does not get slaughtered, 60 to 100 is where the model y pulls away. which it should model y has a lot less weight. Both are listed 0 to 60 in 4.8.

yes, you can get the upgrade for the model y for 2,000 to knock down the 0 to 60 time to 4.3 seconds.

Ford has a big buffer and if they want they could tweak the maches 0 to 60 time also very easy.

Yeah it pretty much does get slaughtered. A half car length (for cars that claim identical 0-60) is pretty huge.

Tests from others show the same thing Car and Driver timed MME premium and at 5.1 sec to 60, and the MY LR AWD at 4.4 sec. Motor Trend got 4.8 for the MME and 4.1 for the MY LR. The manufacturer numbers really mean nothing, because there is no controlled way for manufacturers to quote 0-60. It seems like Ford just used a wildly optimistic setup to match the 4.8 quoted 0-60 for the MY. No one will be getting those C&D/MT results in the real world since they are done with a 1 foot roll out, and ideal conditions.

The fact of the matter remains that the MY is significantly faster in a straight line than the MME, and it will likely do better in the curves as well due to having wider rubber.

Im not sure Ford will be able to match the MY performance in the real world as there is an about 500 lb difference in curb weight.

Both cars are actually very strong competitors to each other, but if performance is the main decision maker for someone then they should go with the MY LR vs the MME AWD extended range. Things may change with the MME GT comes out.
Sponsored

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
Its the reason i was hoping for a special "launch" mode with the car. It being a mustang Im hoping they understand ppl will drag race this car

MikeyC

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt (currently). Mach-E (soon)
Country flag
0-60 times (based on frame counting):

Model Y: 4.4s
Mach-E: 5.2s

Mike

crownmountain

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium 2WD ER, 2022 MINI Cooper S EV
Occupation
Industrial network architect
Country flag
Interesting test, and about time. Does it change my mind about buying a Mach-E, not even a little. Good enough street light to street light. The build quality makes a lot of difference. I like the video above with the GT and EcoBoost. I have an EcoBoost Premium and I bought it based on recommendations from my friends at Ford. It's about the corners. Watching a Porsche driver get wide eyed when I follow them through an exit ramp and I am right there is just too much fun.

The test with the GT should be fun.

available_username2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cmax energi
Country flag
Elon has made sure that telsas are good at 0-60 time and EPA range. It's the only thing they do and then spend a lot of time convincing you it matters. 0-60 times are pretty easy to verify, of course tesla EPA range is nothing close to real world.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Its the reason i was hoping for a special "launch" mode with the car. It being a mustang Im hoping they understand ppl will drag race this car
Track apps and 5s overboost. We'll need to put those into the MME suggestion box.

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
I'm pretty sure we'll see a similar power upgrade available for the Mach E as well.
Like with charging, I think ford is playing safe here and has quite some room for upgrades.
And if not...MME is fast anyway.
I'd rather be second "in style" than first in Elons rolling catfish ?
Is an OTA upgrade for more power possible?

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
At a minimum, they can retune the onset of power so it kicks harder off the line. You can feel the car champing at the bit when you floor it but it's not yet fully unbridled.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Electrically - yes. The motors on EVs are fully electronically controlled - the motor driver/inverter decides exactly how much current to send to the motor at any given time, and can limit the current at different RPMs and temperatures.

Of course, certain current combinations will destroy the motor, so you can't go nuts. However, they could increase the current limits, increase the current ramp rate, change the current/temp curves, etc. The more you increase the more you decrease reliability (more stress on the parts), and at a certain point you'll start frying things or shearing gears.

I have no idea if Ford intends to do something like that, and they probably won't because they might as well move buyers to the GT (which probably has more aggressive settings anyway), but it is at least possible.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Last edited:

Deleted member 2014

At a minimum, they can retune the onset of power so it kicks harder off the line. You can feel the car champing at the bit when you floor it but it's not yet fully unbridled.
Yes, of course it is. As far as I know power given to the motors is limited to a certain extent depending on the battery pack but I'm pretty sure there is some "room" before reaching this limit.

J Duce

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Sport
Country flag
you have one with more range and heavy vs the lighter less range. So pick your poison. Long-range or faster 70 to 100 mph. For most, it's a no-brainer. People should really be happy how close it really is. All the tesla hype of way better in so many aspects of BEV keep getting proven wrong.
For the most part, I am more than satisfied with the acceleration. I'm not a drag racer AND I am not one who needs to get in the bragging rights game. Every car I have owned had their pros and cons. And there will always be another car with a better this or better that. I have not seen a car with better anything... well, except for an MB S550, and even this car's price range was pretty high. At the end of the day, I just liked and was grateful for what I had. Tesla cars have three things going well for them -- very fast, great UI and great superchargers. If these were the only factors, then I see no reason to buy any other cars. The good thing is that this competition is great for driving innovation and more competition. This first few months of the MME is going just as well as the first few years of the Tesla. There will be learning and improvements for Ford. The main pain point is how much first movers will or can tolerate these recurring hiccups. So far, these tech issues which have been relatively minor are more of a nuisance for me than deal breakers. I guess I credit my patience and zeal for troubleshooting.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
It's not at all getting "slaughtered". I'm very familiar with drag racing. I have been to th drag strip many times in my car.
Yes, a full second is an eternity in the 1/4 mile, I agree with you. But these cars are evenly matched until about 60. A half car length difference amounts to probably 2 tenths of a second.
It's above 60mph, where the Y's better aerodynamics and higher top HP play a much large role, and it starts to take off.

Yeah it pretty much does get slaughtered. A half car length (for cars that claim identical 0-60) is pretty huge.

Tests from others show the same thing Car and Driver timed MME premium and at 5.1 sec to 60, and the MY LR AWD at 4.4 sec. Motor Trend got 4.8 for the MME and 4.1 for the MY LR. The manufacturer numbers really mean nothing, because there is no controlled way for manufacturers to quote 0-60. It seems like Ford just used a wildly optimistic setup to match the 4.8 quoted 0-60 for the MY. No one will be getting those C&D/MT results in the real world since they are done with a 1 foot roll out, and ideal conditions.

The fact of the matter remains that the MY is significantly faster in a straight line than the MME, and it will likely do better in the curves as well due to having wider rubber.

Im not sure Ford will be able to match the MY performance in the real world as there is an about 500 lb difference in curb weight.

Both cars are actually very strong competitors to each other, but if performance is the main decision maker for someone then they should go with the MY LR vs the MME AWD extended range. Things may change with the MME GT comes out.
The Mach-E is 700 lbs heavier and less aerodynamic. That's why the Y is faster, especially so above 60mph.
But below that, it's nothing close to a "slaughter". A half car length is 2 tenths of a second.
These cars are nearly evenly matched until about 60mph, where aero and higher top HP take over, which edge in the Y's favor.

Completely disagree with sentiments that it got "slaughtered".

And I agree that there's room for an OTA power boost. Or torque management boost.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
Completely disagree with sentiments that it got "slaughtered".

And I agree that there's room for an OTA power boost. Or torque management boost.
I agree with you that on its own 2 tenths is not much, but when both cars are claimed to have the same 0-60 it is a bigger deal

Also, other publications who actually tested the cars 0-60, rather than trying to determine from a video as we are have gotten a 0.7 second delta in 0-60, which I am sure you will agree is quite significant.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
I agree with you that on its own 2 tenths is not much, but when both cars are claimed to have the same 0-60 it is a bigger deal

Also, other publications who actually tested the cars 0-60, rather than trying to determine from a video as we are have gotten a 0.7 second delta in 0-60, which I am sure you will agree is quite significant.

This mainly a function of weight...hard to overcome a 500 lb difference with similar power numbers.
Sponsored