Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
No More Second-Guessing: All-New Ford Mustang Mach-E Addresses Range Anxiety with Upgradeable Intelligent Range

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Will Use the Cloud, Crowd-Sourcing For More Accurate Range Predictions Mustang-Mach-E

• Mustang Mach-E helps reduce unplanned stops for charging with innovative new Intelligent Range, which more accurately predicts how much range drivers have using past driving behavior, weather forecasts and crowdsourced data from other Mustang Mach-E vehicles
  • Future over-the-air update will enable even more accurate connected vehicle predictions – including the ability to factor in real-time traffic conditions, terrain and elevation of a given route and more – letting drivers know if they need to anticipate a charging stop
  • In case a customer runs out of charge, the Ford Roadside Assistance program will tow their all-electric vehicle to their home, the nearest public charger or an electric vehicle-certified Ford dealership within 35 miles
DEARBORN, Mich., June 19, 2020 – For electric vehicle owners, Ford understands that taking the guesswork out of when and where to re-charge helps build trust and provide peace of mind. That’s why the all-new Mustang Mach-E comes equipped with a feature to help more accurately predict how much range drivers have left, becoming more precise over time.

Mustang Mach-E’s innovative Intelligent Range can accurately estimate how much range the all-electric SUV has left, helping reduce anxiety about when and where customers can recharge.

“Electric vehicle customers need to be able to trust their range estimates,” said Darren Palmer, Ford global director, battery electric vehicles. “People want to be confident they’re going to make it where they need to go, whether they’re on a road trip or coming home from work. Our new Intelligent Range feature helps ensure Mustang Mach-E owners around the globe know where they stand ahead of time, freeing them up to enjoy the ride.”

Intelligent Range will calculate range based on past driver behavior and forecasted weather conditions – taking advantage of the cloud to predict how much energy will be used in future driving. The vehicle battery system reports how much energy is available, while the powertrain module tracks how much energy is being used. Warmer or colder weather can impact range, so Intelligent Range takes that into consideration, too, updating estimated range along the way.

Crowdsourced data from other connected Ford electric vehicles who choose to share information on the road can improve estimates considerably. The all-electric SUV can track how much energy is used in different circumstances, including varying speed, terrain and climate conditions, so it can use fleet averages across all Mustang Mach-Es to improve range estimates – even for routes and conditions an individual customer has never driven before.

If range is impacted notably by any number of factors at the start of a trip, customers will receive a notification in their cluster highlighting the new range estimate and details about why the estimate changed.

In case a Mustang Mach-E does run out of charge, the Ford Roadside Assistance program will tow customers free of charge to where they want within 35 miles – whether that be their home, the nearest public charger or an EV-certified Ford dealership.

If a customer’s home, the nearest charge station or dealership is more than 35 miles away, they will be taken to the closest location available.

Ford will upgrade Intelligent Range through over-the-air updates, designed to deliver even more accurate prediction capabilities for connected Mustang Mach-E, keeping their fully electric SUVs at the forefront of technology. A future update will allow Mustang Mach-E to take even more advantage of cloud-connected capabilities, enabling it to factor in real-time traffic conditions, road slope, the terrain and elevation of a given route, and even the temperature at their final destination.

“Changes in driver behavior and the environment can impact range, which is the reason other electric vehicles often experience significant range adjustments,” said Mark Poll, Ford’s EV charging user experience manager. “Ford is tapping the power of the cloud to make estimates even more accurate – reducing the need for surprise charging stops and helping reduce customers’ range anxiety.”

Reserve the Mustang Mach-E here.

*Roadside assistance is included for certain owners and available to everyone for a per-service fee.

**Actual range varies with conditions such as external elements, driving behaviors, vehicle maintenance, lithium-ion battery age and state of health.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Will Use the Cloud, Crowd-Sourcing For More Accurate Range Predictions Intelligent-Range-External-Temperature-Adjustment

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Will Use the Cloud, Crowd-Sourcing For More Accurate Range Predictions Intellegent-Range-Overview

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
LOL! They are trying to take the "guess" out of the "guess-o-meter"(GOM) !

When I first got the Focus Electric I had a few posts on my blog about ways they could have used to make the GOM more accurate. I have to admit that using crowd sourced data wasn't one of them (more like: If you program in a destination the range could be more accurately predicted using the elevation and speed limits of your route, and also since the car does have a thermometer it could use outside temp in that calculation as well.)

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I do love the look of that cluster.
Me too. They are clearly going to use that display for all sorts of essential information.

This will be huge improvement over the erratic range estimates I get on our Nissan Leaf's guess-o-meter.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Interesting to note that Ford has moved away from the "B" designation for a high regeneration mode used in the Toyota Prius and Nissan Leaf and have "L" on the shifter. I'm guessing this will be more of a downshift than a change in regeneration as we already know the regeneration modes of Whisper, Engage and Unbridled are selected elsewhere.

One other thing to get used to: My Leaf uses the center button for Park. The Mustang Mach E uses the center button for low with Park at the left side of the dial (Prius had a separate Park button)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Will Use the Cloud, Crowd-Sourcing For More Accurate Range Predictions 21_FRD_MCH_48340

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Really cool feature if it works. Sounds like they are integrating a system like ABRP in real-time. That could be huge. And definitely a huge improvement over my Leaf's random number display.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Last edited:

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I believe we have gotten some type of press release each day for the past several days. I wonder if this will continue until the order bank opens or something.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
Interesting to note that Ford has moved away from the "B" designation for a high regeneration mode used in the Toyota Prius and Nissan Leaf and have "L" on the shifter. I'm guessing this will be more of a downshift than a change in regeneration as we already know the regeneration modes of Whisper, Engage and Unbridled are selected elsewhere.

One other thing to get used to: My Leaf uses the center button for Park. The Mustang Mach E uses the center button for low with Park at the left side of the dial (Prius had a separate Park button)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Will Use the Cloud, Crowd-Sourcing For More Accurate Range Predictions 1592569541765
A couple of my comments on page 2 of this thread discuss the drive modes and "L" selector:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/regenerative-braking.658/page-2

By the way, Volvo also uses "B" for the higher regen.

TheBluf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Sonata
Country flag
This is exactly the kind of thing I want to see this car do. As much as I'm not a fan of the fact that yesterday we found out we'd have to pay for hands free driving, this makes me excited again.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I am really glad to see this too, and really glad to see that Ford seems to be ending the “radio silence” we seemed to have for months. What disappoints me though is that I did not get this as an email in my inbox. Why wouldn’t they be sending these press releases to all reservation holders to keep us informed? Seems like it would be a really simple thing to do.
Regardless, this is the kind of stuff that builds my confidence and gets me more excited about this car. It is blending two of my great loves and hobbies - tech and cars in a way that I always hoped for. Can’t wait!

By the way . . . That instrument cluster is turning out to be a smarter and smarter idea by Ford vs. the competition just doing the huge screen. I think it is a BIG improvement.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Anybody else notice this footnote:

*Roadside assistance is included for certain owners and available to everyone for a per-service fee.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Anybody else notice this footnote:

Yeah I wonder if that is an out regarding the fact that it only applies during the initial warranty period.

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD ER Mach-E
Occupation
Film and Music Producer
Country flag
Ford and Garmin have partnered on Sync4A
I compared electric cars to watches in another thread a few weeks ago. I said the Mach-E was a Garmin Tactix Charlie. Lol. Love that watch. Very chuffed with how Sync4 is looking.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Will Use the Cloud, Crowd-Sourcing For More Accurate Range Predictions 1592569541765
My Volt has L on the shifter for more aggressive regenerative braking. The problem is this implies a lower gear, as it is on all cars with automatic transmission, but that's not what it really is.

Shouldn't the label for the selection describe what it does?