mi/kw calculation is backwards

DR.J56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-350. 2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I think I may be losing my mind but maybe my thinking is backwards. I didn’t really pay much attention to this until today. But the harder I drive my MME (awd ex) the higher the mi/kw gets. Normally in good temps (70’s and up) I get 3.2 to 3.3. Today coming home, I decided to test and see how low I could get this number. Full throttle accelerations and high speeds in a 25 mile trip home on back country roads netted me 4.1 mi/kw! I didn’t pay much attention to the battery percent but I’m sure it dropped as did the GOM. Colder temps net lower numbers. 50 degrees I’m in the mid 2’s. Anyone else notice this? Search revealed nothing.
Sponsored

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I think I may be losing my mind but maybe my thinking is backwards. I didn’t really pay much attention to this until today. But the harder I drive my MME (awd ex) the higher the mi/kw gets. Normally in good temps (70’s and up) I get 3.2 to 3.3. Today coming home, I decided to test and see how low I could get this number. Full throttle accelerations and high speeds in a 25 mile trip home on back country roads netted me 4.1 mi/kw! I didn’t pay much attention to the battery percent but I’m sure it dropped as did the GOM. Colder temps net lower numbers. 50 degrees I’m in the mid 2’s. Anyone else notice this? Search revealed nothing.
Elevation differences on this route (unless you're taking the same way home as before) and tailwinds could account for what you're seeing. I wouldn't read too much into it either way though- wouldn't want to look a gift pony in the mouth.

OP
OP

DR.J56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-350. 2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Elevation differences on this route (unless you're taking the same way home as before) and tailwinds could account for what you're seeing. I wouldn't read too much into it either way though- wouldn't want to look a gift pony in the mouth.
I’ve driven this route many times in both head and tail winds. Typically the mi/kw follows suit. This drive was different to say the least. Full throttle bursts to 90 and then slow down to do another. When I say I was trying to get the mi/kw number low, I mean I was really trying. The harder I pushed the car I could see the mi/kw climb.

Tbird

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4x 2021 job 1
Country flag
I experienced this also. The temp was in the 30s and my trip was showng 2.1 mi/kw. I decided what the heck lets see what the acceleration feels like. I floored it out of the red lights and out of the stop signs. Wow felt great. Then I looked at the trip guage and was getting 4.1 mi/kw. I think this kind of driving warmed up the battery and gave me better efficiency.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
I experienced this also. The temp was in the 30s and my trip was showng 2.1 mi/kw. I decided what the heck lets see what the acceleration feels like. I floored it out of the red lights and out of the stop signs. Wow felt great. Then I looked at the trip guage and was getting 4.1 mi/kw. I think this kind of driving warmed up the battery and gave me better efficiency.
I like your thinking. Do you believe that the state patrol will accept this excuse? Honestly deputy, I'm doing this for the environment!
Sponsored