Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
Here is a start to understand how the environment may effect your range.

Chevrolet Bolt EV Range at Constant Speeds

I will never get the claimed range of the car as I drive it too fast and it is cold here. Below 50 now and seeing range drop all ready :(
Does that testing of the Chevy Lighter, er, Bolt include the fire or not?
Sponsored

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Does that testing of the Chevy Lighter, er, Bolt include the fire or not?
Not sure I understand the english or your point. It is a mathematical model and it was to show range due to temperature. How many sold how many fires? How many ice vehicles catch on fire everyday in your country? I normally side with logic and probability. Guess what the MME has the same batteries. Not losing any sleep over that here. Maybe an order cancelation is in your future?

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
Your anger and disappointment is obvious but have not realized it should be directed at your country testing standards dictated to manufacturers? The other brands are showing similar results too which makes since because they are similar to the MME, I bet they are so similar results to your MME observations. Sounds like you should get out of EV and head back to small diesel engine cars.

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
I agree that your range is going to be affected by many variables. When I bought my EX4 AWD i knew with my driving style I would probably not get 270 miles especially on highway driving. I have been pleasantly surprised that for my driving commute (90 miles RT) that I consistently average 3.1-3.3 mi/kw in 90 plus degree weather. That equates out higher than my 270. Now, on highway driving with virtually no regen going 76 mph, I get 2.6-2.8 in 90 plus degree weather. No gas gar I have ever driven has gotten it's rated mileage and I'm not exactly sure why you would believe that the estimated range of car would be guaranteed. By the way, I drive in Unbridled mode and 1PD all the time. I'm sure my range would improve even more if I used Whisper mode, but what fun would that be.

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
This matches my experience, getting 250-275 with a Select SR RWD rated for 230. In Socal, found biggest hit on range for me has been AC. I usually drive in Unbridled mode /L.
Agree, I too have a SR, RWD.....NJ......drive in whisper.....EPA 230......I just unplugged and am at 239 at 79% charge......I have gotten over 300 estimated range the few times I have charged 100%......and I understand all the reasons for one's estimated range, and, of course this will drop in winter.....but I am quite pleased with the range I have been getting

Giselle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD Mach E, Corvette, GMC 2500
Country flag
The ER AWD is advertised with a range of 335 miles. Mine shows 278, at best. Speaking to the dealer and my Mach E Support Concierge, this is normal.

I paid for a FE with a 335 mile range. 278 is NOT 335.

Please comment IF you too are unhappy about the blatant misrepresentation. I've even asked to reject the car (awaiting a reply).

You don't have to complain directly, but I'd like to know if the range issue is causing anyone to feel a bit miffed.
I've noticed how quickly the range drops too. Yesterday I switched to "Whisper" mode and it looks like the mileage is increasing although I will watch and time will tell.

I definitely agree that dealers, service and sales are ill prepared. "Phone as a Key" wasn't working on my car when I picked it up and Service wants the car for a full day to do a software update. They looked at me like I was nuts when I said they couldn't have my iPhone for the day while they learned how to work on the car. Excuse me?!? Set the car up correctly on your phone and it should take less than 15 minutes to link my car to my phone. Dealer does NOT get my iPhone for the day! Local dealer doesn't have a 220 outlet that matches the 220 adapter that came with my Mach E. I like many things about the car and am not impressed with dealer preparedness.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
I am trying to. Ford say my contract is with the dealer. The dealer says it is with Ford. Neither will send me the contract so I can take action.

I've been trying to get this sorted for 3 weeks but noone will take responsibility or fix my car. (Lots of other smaller issues are on-going too. Dealer couldn't fix them and Ford don't seem to know how to either).
This sounds like your complaint is with the WLTP testing methodology and not your specific car or dealer. You need to bring this up to your government about the WLTP testing cycle that generated that number for the MME. The dealer is quoting what your government's testing cycle is saying the MME is rated for.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Anything is possible. ? Maybe in the UK you drive on the wrong side of the road?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mileage Complaint gom407

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
The ER AWD is advertised with a range of 335 miles. Mine shows 278, at best. Speaking to the dealer and my Mach E Support Concierge, this is normal.

I paid for a FE with a 335 mile range. 278 is NOT 335.

Please comment IF you too are unhappy about the blatant misrepresentation. I've even asked to reject the car (awaiting a reply).

You don't have to complain directly, but I'd like to know if the range issue is causing anyone to feel a bit miffed.
What it "shows" on the display and what you can drive are two very different things. Do yourself a favor and charge to 100% and then drive until 50% and see what milage you are getting.

This has been covered many times here on the forum, and the range displayed on dash is a GUESS based on the driving characteristics of the previous drivers.

If you or they (whomever they were) had a lead foot when driving, you cannot possibly expect to achieve WLTB range figures in ANY car (gas or electric).

Keep in mind that testing procedures like the EPA or WLTP is also a mix of City and Highway driving, and not just Highway, so it would be normal to achieve slightly less than WLTP.

But that said, do yourself a favor and actually drive the car before you start complaining about range. Because range is achieved by actually going somewhere, and not by displaying a number on a screen.

With all of that said, most people on here (myself included) are extremely pleased with the range we are actually achieving when driving in the real world. The fact that you would even consider rejecting the vehicle without actually driving it is absolutely mind blowing ? to me.

Last edited:

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Reading threads like these is honestly starting to get old. People don't understand how EV range works. I wish people would do more research before buying a car. The ratings are estimates based on standardized testing methodology. There are so many factors in an EV that change your possible range. OP you're about to be in for a huge shock when if it gets cold where you are and you want to drive 80mph+...

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
Reading threads like these is honestly starting to get old. People don't understand how EV range works. I wish people would do more research before buying a car. The ratings are estimates based on standardized testing methodology. There are so many factors in an EV that change your possible range. OP you're about to be in for a huge shock when if it gets cold where you are and you want to drive 80mph+...
True, but what most don't realize is that this is not even a case of how "electric range" works, but rather how EPA or WLTP range testing works in general for (ANY) vehicle. When we get into colder weather that is a uniquely 'electric thing'.

With regards to the EPA orbWLTP advertised ranges though, this is not a new phenomenon, but rather one that most are just now noticing for the first time because electric vehicles and how and where you can charge is new and unknown to many first timers. As a result you are paying attention to something previously ignored because gas stations where everywhere and took a min or two to fill up.

People need to be reasonable, do their homework and research before buying a vehicle so they know what to expect in the REAL WORLD, rather than what is being advertised.

That said, the OP's complaint is one that should be aimed at the WLTP and not Ford, as this is not new for any vehicle of any brand.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
I'm sure I'm gonna regret wading into this one - but here goes.

@Trevor - yes the car is advertised as giving up to 335 miles per charge - however it's totally based on driving style and that big ass caveat on the website shown below...

If you want the figure to magically jump back up just reset your driving history on the SYNC screen. This will forget any of the less than perfect driving history that's happened in the past and you can start afresh. Drive like an angel after that and you'll be all good.

Screenshot 2021-09-02 at 23.19.11.png
Now you are taking a HUGE risk. But I totally agree with you and have already said so, so we can both share the heat. ??

iankellogg

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus ES 300h, Red Mach E XR AWD
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
this isn't even exclusive to BEV's. Gas cars are exactly the same. they have a standardized test and for YEARS the MPG on cars was very optimistic. The range estimate on the dash is also very much an estimate and can change rapidly. The biggest difference is the efficiency of the BEV is such that even a small change in conditions can be percentages of the range. the Mach E only has the equivalent energy of about 2 gallons of gas. Rain, wind, temperature, tire pressure, etc. can all change the efficiency by a few percentage points.

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
While I would never actually expect to come anywhere close to achieving this on a drive, my Guess-O-Meter on my MME First Edition ER AWD has certainly come close to that 335 that the OP is expecting. In reality, I find that I am usually closer to about 285 with my regular city driving and probably closer to about 215 with expressway driving on long trips that often have me at or just over 70 MPH and usually have me using AC or heat for at least a portion of the drive.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mileage Complaint 1630678522103