Mileage efficiency vs competition

circle11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-e Premium
Country flag
I've had my 2022 Premium RWD standard range for a month, love it thus far. One question that keeps coming up in my head is that here and there I read that Tesla Y and VW ID4 have better miles per kw efficiency. Assuming that is true (too many sources claim that), I am wondering why that is. Is that a software issue and can potentially be addressed in the future, or some mechanical design shortcoming? Has this been discussed anywhere?
Sponsored

KrazyEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Carbonized Gray Metallic Premium Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Transportation
Country flag
Different manufacturers use different components in EVs, just like in ICE cars. If you go to
fueleconomy.gov, you can compare the numbers. Tesla, having been the most dedicated over
the last decade, seems to have the best efficiency. Prior to my MME, I had a 2020 Bolt. The numbers
indicated that my MME would be about 20% less efficient. Fortunately, that has not been the case.
My MME is similar to what my Bolt Was. I sold the Bolt with about 10,000 miles. Lifetime M/WH were
5.2. Similar driving on the MME with probably triple the highway time was 6.2. A friend drove it for a
few days recently and it is down to 5.6. With summer looking to be even hotter than usual, I am
guessing that it will drop some more. Jaguar and E Tron are VERY inefficient.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Gotta give you props for looking at efficiency and not being a part of the “it just needs more batteries” group.
software might make a difference but it’s really about electrical component design. That includes propulsion components like motors and inverters, hvac system, 12v components, or even the length of high voltage cables.

OP
OP

circle11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-e Premium
Country flag
I am actually for both efficiencies and bigger battery :). So I guess you are saying the subpar per kw performance vs Tesla Y is attributed to the mechanical/electrical engineering and not the software?

Would still buy MME and not Tesla just based on the look and quality of the materials. Plus the tax credit makes it indisputably better deal money wise.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Isn't comparing efficiency, by itself, not very useful? Have to look at other things about the vehicle, and compare vehicles that are very much similar in interior space, comfort, etc. For example, an ID4 is a dog from 0 to 60 as compared to the Mach-E. So what if it it was slightly more efficient? Of course the Bolt (OP didn't list it) is much smaller, so of course it gets better efficiency.

Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Camaro SS, 2021 GTPE
Country flag
It seems like the rwd Mach-E isn’t any less efficient than a Model Y, maybe even better than it, until you get to temps in the 50s or lower when it’s heat pump will kick in.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Generally speaking...
Isn't the Model Y around 400-500 lbs lighter than a similar MME?

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I've had my 2022 Premium RWD standard range for a month, love it thus far. One question that keeps coming up in my head is that here and there I read that Tesla Y and VW ID4 have better miles per kw efficiency. Assuming that is true (too many sources claim that), I am wondering why that is. Is that a software issue and can potentially be addressed in the future, or some mechanical design shortcoming? Has this been discussed anywhere?
Most of those sources are based on the official EPA ratings. But Ford has purposely understated the Mach-E range ratings, especially for non-GTs, while Tesla has gamed the EPA rules to overstate their rating.

Tesla is still overall most likely more efficient across the lineup, but the difference is not as significant as may first seem based on the EPA numbers given the above.

You can see how actual range has turned out for various EVs versus EPA range according to Edmunds here - every single Tesla has fallen short of EPA while every single Mach-E has exceeded EPA.

All this being said, the SR RWD Mach-E is the most efficient variant, so if you were cross shopping with LR AWD Model Y, your’s might actually be more efficient (unless you were looking at a pre-owned SR RWD Model Y which was briefly available from Tesla last year).

OP
OP

circle11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-e Premium
Country flag
Edmunds's table is very interesting... I make a ~220 miles trip 1-2 times per month and hesitating to do it with my MME, been taking my second gas car so far. For that trip 270 miles is actually better than 247 which is what my window sticker says. Although I understand that with highway miles this figure may be lower. Did not realize Tesla is overpromising and Ford is underpromising - good to know.

Overall, having second thoughts about settling on a SR but too late now. Still love my MME.

Last edited:
Reactions: ARK

Zassi

First Name
Jussi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E RWD SR
Country flag
Most of those sources are based on the official EPA ratings. But Ford has purposely understated the Mach-E range ratings, especially for non-GTs, while Tesla has gamed the EPA rules to overstate their rating.

Tesla is still overall most likely more efficient across the lineup, but the difference is not as significant as may first seem based on the EPA numbers given the above.

You can see how actual range has turned out for various EVs versus EPA range according to Edmunds here - every single Tesla has fallen short of EPA while every single Mach-E has exceeded EPA.

All this being said, the SR RWD Mach-E is the most efficient variant, so if you were cross shopping with LR AWD Model Y, your’s might actually be more efficient (unless you were looking at a pre-owned SR RWD Model Y which was briefly available from Tesla last year).
I’ve always wondered what I’m doing wrong because a lot of sources state that mach-e can over deliver when compered to it’s EPA/WLTP-ratings, however for the past 18000 miles that I’ve driven mine it has always fell short by 25-50% depending on the time of the year. To me it seems that everyone who manages to drive it further than the EPA/WLTP must have shut down their hvac and entertainment and basicly every other nicety the car has AND drive it like a 80 year old granny going to Sunday church….
And eventhough this might sound like a huge complaint it’s not ment to be one, absolutely love the car :)

OP
OP

circle11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-e Premium
Country flag
I’ve always wondered what I’m doing wrong because a lot of sources state that mach-e can over deliver when compered to it’s EPA/WLTP-ratings, however for the past 18000 miles that I’ve driven mine it has always fell short by 25-50% depending on the time of the year. To me it seems that everyone who manages to drive it further than the EPA/WLTP must have shut down their hvac and entertainment and basicly every other nicety the car has AND drive it like a 80 year old granny going to Sunday church….
And eventhough this might sound like a huge complaint it’s not ment to be one, absolutely love the car :)
I feel that way when driving on a highway. You start going 80-85 mph and the remaining range drops like a stone. Only have 700 miles on mine so still learning. Pretty sure that city driving is close to what is being promised on the remaining range display.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have had the premium, extended battery, 4 wheel drive for two months now. The last 1200 miles I have been averaging 3.5 miles per KW or about 300 miles on a full charge. Much better than when I got the car back in March.

my friend purchased his Tesla Y two months ago and has been getting around 270 miles for total charge.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
I have had the premium, extended battery, 4 wheel drive for two months now. The last 1200 miles I have been averaging 3.5 miles per KW or about 300 miles on a full charge. Much better than when I got the car back in March.

my friend purchased his Tesla Y two months ago and has been getting around 270 miles for total charge.
Good to hear. What's your estimate of highway/city and average highway speed?

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Yeah on the Out of Spec Motoring YouTube channel, they recently did a run down on all the mid-size SUV like EVs (there are a lot of them out there). While they are fans of Tesla and had a lot of good to say about all of them, they agreed the Mach-E was a real mile machine and more than any of them was likely to hit its mileage estimates where Tesla is always super optimistic, "under best conditions" mileage estimates. A lot of it comes from them using a different EPA cycle than Ford used with the MME.
Sponsored