MME v. iX50

Kachook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD, 2016 Honda Odyssey
Country flag
So, we have been looking for an electric vehicle to replace my wife’s Audi TDI that’s going on seven years plus that is starting to need a few repairs here and there that are frustratingly expensive. A few nights ago, we lucked into an available base BMW iX. I thought this would be a good time to compare my initial impressions between my MME and her iX.
Currently, I have a 2021 premium all-wheel-drive extended range MME. I spent a little less than $59,000 when I purchased it. In comparison, the IX was around $84,000. We had an option earlier in the day to get an iX that had the convenience package, the premium package and the sport handling package. However, that vehicle was roughly $100,000 and I couldn’t leave work. The MME wins in terms of equipment because I have adaptive cruise control, blue cruise, 360 camera, a frunk and the game of Tiles that keeps my kids occupied when we are waiting in line to drop them off at camp. Best of all, I think the MME is a pretty car that both men and women like equally based on the people who still stop me about it.
Let’s just say the looks of the IX are polarizing. The iX is bigger, faster, has more range and smoother. Also, the tech is cooler than the MME. The voice assistant is better in the iX. The iX’s standard charging cable is also thicker and deliver more power than the Ford’s charger. And I wish I did not buy an aftermarket Grizz-le which is still sitting in the box. Lastly, the autochromatic panoramic roof is really cool. I’ll take a few pictures of both side by side after I wash them this weekend.
Sponsored

StillWaitingForMachE

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 IBSM ER AWD California Rt 1 MME (Mike-E)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Also the Mach E doesn't have a fire-related recall:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2023-bmw-ix-i4-battery-fire-risk-recall/

I almost knee-jerk bought a BMW i4 edrive50 when the stop safely now recall came out and my car was still in transit. Luckily cooler heads prevailed because like the day after I picked up my Mach E I saw the article about the BMW recall.

JMSMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Porsche Taycan,’21 Audi Etron, Town&Country
Country flag

StillWaitingForMachE

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 IBSM ER AWD California Rt 1 MME (Mike-E)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
No, I was using the HVBJB recall (which at the time we all thought was a stop sale and might take months to get the fix for) as a reason to look at the BMW. It was a demo vehicle that we couldn't purchase until August 1 at the earliest. In the end we decided to just be patient and wait for the Mach E, which we finally got last week.

So what I'm saying is in hindsight I'm glad we didn't freak out and buy the BMW and cancel our Mach E because we wouldn't have been able to take possession of the BMW on August 1st anyways due to the battery fire recall.

And also wanted to post the link just in case OP wasn't aware that there was a park outside and do not drive kind of recall on the BMW :)

OP
OP

Kachook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks, StillWaiting, and we saw the recall. It affects about 85 vehicles and ours wasn’t one of them. I am checking everyday. It’s been charged and in our garage two and three of the last few nights, respectively. I did think about adding a smoke/fire detector in our garage as it is the only room without one. But I figured that the other 10 in our house would ring by the time it spread.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
BMW's tech is impressive for sure (although I wish they did 800 volt charging architecture), but the look of the iX (as you alluded to) is rough. I don't want to rag on your purchase but I just could never get on board with the design of that thing. Front, back, side...not for me. I hope you enjoy it, though.

And I just bought a refurb Grizzl-e to replace my Ford Mobile Charger, been happy with how fast it charges! But it seems like BMW has you covered there. You could probably sell it here for close to what you bought it for.

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
OP
OP

Kachook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
BMW's tech is impressive for sure (although I wish they did 800 volt charging architecture), but the look of the iX (as you alluded to) is rough. I don't want to rag on your purchase but I just could never get on board with the design of that thing. Front, back, side...not for me. I hope you enjoy it, though.

And I just bought a refurb Grizzl-e to replace my Ford Mobile Charger, been happy with how fast it charges! But it seems like BMW has you covered there. You could probably sell it here for close to what you bought it for.
For me, my wife didn’t really care too much about the look. I was thinking about the other vehicles that we were looking at. The Ioniq 5 looks like the old Hyundai hatchback‘s from when I was little which were Econoboxes. The EV6 looks like someone stepped on it. I’m not sure what to make of the genesis GV60 although I really do like to look at the GV70 and if that had come out in electric in the US, I would be in line for that one. We have a Rivian on order but who knows when we will get it. The Polestar 2 looks blah. The ID4 looks like any other SUV. All of the Teslas look like a baby between and egg and a teardrop. So the only real EV that I really like looks wise, is the Mach-E and with the package I’d want, we were around d $70k without a dealer markup. We are also waiting on a Lyriq but the all wheel drive is only going to be delivered next year and who knows if there will be a tax credit. Ours is black so it looks like a very under the radar SUV.

Ming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium SR RWD; 2022 Civic; Tesla MYP
Country flag
I went to a BMW iX show off event a while back, and was totally turned off by the sales (I think they were from the corporate, not local dealership). they promoted features like what my civic offers - automatic headlights, welcome lights, ambient lights etc. it did have a nice crystal gear shifter that I don't want.

it's a too big car for me as I don't carry kids around any more. more interested in the i4 but they didn't promote it at all. they left one for us to explore but no presentation whatsoever.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Did the BMW iX come with turn signals for that price?

(Sorry. Old joke, but I couldn’t resist.)

OP
OP

Kachook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did the BMW iX come with turn signals for that price?

(Sorry. Old joke, but I couldn’t resist.)
I am going to tell you, though, it is annoying about having to pay for all of these extra packages. For a vehicle that is in the mid-80s, I do not think it is too much to ask for adaptive cruise control and surround view when parking. At least, it has keyless entry. But, I think a lot of German manufacturers are like that. For my wife’s former Audi, we paid for the comfort package, technology package and upgraded wheels by getting the premium plus version - but it was about $12k more (I think) than the base model. I had a base Cayenne for a year and that had nothing including no keyless entry. At least it had a backup camera. The Hyundai/Kia way of doing things really does appeal to me. But, the most recent available AWD Limited Ioniq 5 near us was going for $58k plus 10k ADM. the nearest EV6 AWD was about 6k over MSRP. Life is expensive but it’s worth living.
Sponsored