Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
One charging stop, I tried 3 of the 4 chargers at the site, all 3 did the same. Went to another station that is NOT EA, which i've used many times at 150kw, this time would only hit 34kw. Charged enough to get to the next station which was EA, and it also hit 34kw.

I will say cable cooling fans never spun up like normal, and I think it was because the car was saying it couldn't charge that fast and the cooling wasn't needed.

Every other time I've had issues, it was either really cold out, or moving to a different unit would give me normal speeds.

The only thing I can think that could have been the issue this day is that something was overheating and limiting charging speeds. But I didn't have this setup to be able to check that day.
I was worried about heat and DCFC on my last road trip. But at one stop, it was 116 degrees and charging was over 100kW. I almost wish I could have told it not to charge that fast since it was so hot. There was an ID.4 charging next to me as well. Between the cable cooling and both cars trying to cool the batteries, it was really noisy!
Sponsored

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I was worried about heat and DCFC on my last road trip. But at one stop, it was 116 degrees and charging was over 100kW. I almost wish I could have told it not to charge that fast since it was so hot. There was an ID.4 charging next to me as well. Between the cable cooling and both cars trying to cool the batteries, it was really noisy!
Yeah, The day I was having the issues it was only like 90 degrees out, so I didn't think that would have been the issue. But I also was driving on a turnpike with an 80mph speed limit, so there could have been some other component that was hot and causing a limitation. I also had a DTC in memory that mentioned losing communication with the battery control module, SO maybe it was in a limited functionality mode for a while.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
I've just been using Torque Pro on my phone to check things. Hoping to figure out why the car will randomly limit charging to under 40kw.

Screenshot_20210718-181248_Torque.jpg
Your photo reflects a charging session in which 225 amps are coming into the battery pack. Troublesome is the 102f battery pack temperature. Battery pack optimum temperature is like 76f plus or minus 7f.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Your photo reflects a charging session in which 225 amps are coming into the battery pack. Troublesome is the 102f battery pack temperature. Battery pack optimum temperature is like 76f plus or minus 7f.

There is a chance that this value from the PID's someone provided on here aren't calculating correctly. There are readings of coolant temps and they are always considerably lower.

I had to modify the PID for the PowerFlow to give me the proper kw reading.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is it really that low in the Mach-E? For Model 3 and Y and L3 charging, the Stator motors stop warming the battery pack at 116F. The BMS will let the packs get up to around 131-135F before actively cooling it down to around 86F.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
102 is fairly common temp from what I have observed.
That is a negative sign in front of the 225A.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Is it really that low in the Mach-E? For Model 3 and Y and L3 charging, the Stator motors stop warming the battery pack at 116F. The BMS will let the packs get up to around 131-135F before actively cooling it down to around 86F.
And people wonder why Teslas charge so fast comparatively...

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Operating temp for most lithium batteries is 0-40ÂşC (32-104ÂşF) so it seems to be maintaining that.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
102 is fairly common temp from what I have observed.
That is a negative sign in front of the 225A.
Negative sign occurs when charging and when regenerative braking.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Operating temp for most lithium batteries is 0-40ÂşC (32-104ÂşF) so it seems to be maintaining that.
If 76f is the optimal temperature plus or minus 7, then 104f is a bit too high. How long does it stay over 100f?

Cgertz

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, MME AWD ER, ID4
Occupation
Technical support engineer
Country flag
I've been seeing seeing 100.4 as a normal temperature while driving. Charging DCFC goes up to 111Fwith the highest I've seen at 113F with the outside temperature at 104

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
I can't find the sensor in the app (Car scanner and OBD 2) for battery temperature. How are you guys finding it?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I can't find the sensor in the app (Car scanner and OBD 2) for battery temperature. How are you guys finding it?
I have seen it in several places. The values that seem relevant appear in the BECM. Is your scan tool able to view individual modules?