My Test Drive

rfrommd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium ER RWD
Country flag
I've been wanting an EV for a while now, and after ruling out Tesla and Chevy, I'd settled on either the Mach-E or VW ID.4. The current plan is to buy sometime in the fall, but with the long lead time for the Mach-E, I needed to make up my mind and get on the list. A few weeks ago I checked out the ID.4 at one of their roadshow events, so it was time to see the Mach-E.

Some thoughts, in no particular order:
  • When I test drove the VW ID.4, the first thing I noticed when I got in is that it felt "big". Not quite like a minivan, but enough that it felt a little weird to me, since I'm used to my Mazda 3 hatch. That's not so surprising, since the ID.4 is unapologetically a crossover. I did not get that feeling when I got in the Mach-E, and it felt "car-sized" to me. That *was* surprising, in a good way, since I've read "you feel the size" so many times.
  • My wife and I didn't hate the touchscreen as much as I thought we might. I'd really like one-touch climate off (or a working voice command for that), or even better, real buttons and dials for climate control, but it's not a dealbreaker. I'm not worried about it being a big distraction any more.
  • The trunk was a *lot* smaller than I thought. Ditto the frunk. I guess that coupe look in the back comes with a cost. But we can live with it, since it's still got more cargo room than the Mazda it would replace, and we have a bigger car for big car things.
  • I love me some instant torque. The ID.4 was "quick enough", especially compared to the Mazda, but the Mach-E was another level. (Even staying within legal speeds!)
  • That said, I'm gonna have to pay very close attention when there aren't other cars around to judge speed. Towards the end of an on-ramp I was pushing 80 without noticing. And it certainly didn't feel like I was pushing 80.
  • My wife told me that I am not allowed to use Unbridled mode with my carsickness-prone tween in the car. The extra regen, even without one-pedal drive, really caught us off guard with the jerkiness in a way that "B" mode on the ID.4 did not. Whisper mode was fine, though.
  • I didn't feel the bounciness on rough pavement that I've heard about elsewhere. The ride felt close enough to what I'm used to, so it will work for me.
  • Overall, loved the way it drove, very comfortable to sit in.
The ID.4 folks only let me drive it on a pre-planned route that was mostly on the mall property, so I wanted to do a longer test drive later. But after sleeping on it, I decided to skip another round with the ID.4 and go for the 'Stang. My order is in as of today, so it's time to go join the "grumpy" thread for the next 6 months. :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
Welcome to the waiting club. ??

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Welcome aboard, money back guarantee on the excitement that is :)

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Glad you're now grumpy! ?

Congrats on placing your order!

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Congratulations.
  • When I test drove the VW ID.4, the first thing I noticed when I got in is that it felt "big". Not quite like a minivan, but enough that it felt a little weird to me, since I'm used to my Mazda 3 hatch. That's not so surprising, since the ID.4 is unapologetically a crossover. I did not get that feeling when I got in the Mach-E, and it felt "car-sized" to me. That *was* surprising, in a good way, since I've read "you feel the size" so many times.
FWIW, state of Arizona calls MME a sedan.
  • That said, I'm gonna have to pay very close attention when there aren't other cars around to judge speed. Towards the end of an on-ramp I was pushing 80 without noticing. And it certainly didn't feel like I was pushing 80.
On my 1st day with MME, I got it up to 85 in a residential 35 MPH zone. This was completely unintentional. So I also need watch myself. Last week, I spent 3 days driving my mother's RAV4. Getting it to accelerate felt like sucking roadkill through a straw.

While you're waiting, hook yourself up with X-Plan pricing by joining MCA.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
OP
OP
rfrommd

rfrommd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium ER RWD
Country flag
While you're waiting, hook yourself up with X-Plan pricing by joining MCA.
I have been a card-carrying member of the Mustang Club of America since January 1. Which is totally due to nostalgia for that one time I rented a Mustang convertible, for sure.

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've been wanting an EV for a while now, and after ruling out Tesla and Chevy, I'd settled on either the Mach-E or VW ID.4. The current plan is to buy sometime in the fall, but with the long lead time for the Mach-E, I needed to make up my mind and get on the list. A few weeks ago I checked out the ID.4 at one of their roadshow events, so it was time to see the Mach-E.

Some thoughts, in no particular order:
  • My wife and I didn't hate the touchscreen as much as I thought we might. I'd really like one-touch climate off (or a working voice command for that), or even better, real buttons and dials for climate control, but it's not a dealbreaker. I'm not worried about it being a big distraction any more.
  • The trunk was a *lot* smaller than I thought. Ditto the frunk. I guess that coupe look in the back comes with a cost. But we can live with it, since it's still got more cargo room than the Mazda it would replace, and we have a bigger car for big car things.
  • I love me some instant torque. The ID.4 was "quick enough", especially compared to the Mazda, but the Mach-E was another level. (Even staying within legal speeds!)
  • My wife told me that I am not allowed to use Unbridled mode with my carsickness-prone tween in the car. The extra regen, even without one-pedal drive, really caught us off guard with the jerkiness in a way that "B" mode on the ID.4 did not. Whisper mode was fine, though.
  • I didn't feel the bounciness on rough pavement that I've heard about elsewhere. The ride felt close enough to what I'm used to, so it will work for me.
  • Overall, loved the way it drove, very comfortable to sit in.
After sleeping on it, I decided to skip another round with the ID.4 (they only let me drive it on a pre-planned route that was mostly on the mall property, so I wanted to do a longer test drive) and go for the 'Stang. My order is in as of today, so it's time to go join the "grumpy" thread for the next 6 months. :)
Good for you welcome to the 6 month club we will make room for you on the bench.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I just placed my order today also. Do we actually get a discount on the MME if we join the Mustang Club? Or is joining just a fun thing to do?

I see there is a fee to join. Is it worth it?

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
As of today I have racked up 700 Mach-E miles via multiple test drives and still loving it! I charged up the car in my garage last night and my wife and I cruised for another 120 miles today. We have to bring it back to the dealer on Monday.

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
I just placed my order today also. Do we actually get a discount on the MME if we join the Mustang Club? Or is joining just a fun thing to do?

I see there is a fee to join. Is it worth it?
MCA membership will allow you to get an X Plan PIN. Assuming your chosen dealer is accepting X Plan, you'll save ~$700. Membership is $35.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
MCA membership will allow you to get an X Plan PIN. Assuming your chosen dealer is accepting X Plan, you'll save ~$700. Membership is $35.
The dealership made me sign the paper with the options and price, so maybe they won't be very open to changing the price now. Does not hurt to ask.