First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
This link: Supercharger SuperGuide – TeslaTap posted:

In March 2023, Tesla introduced the V4 Supercharger in Europe. These have the potential to supply up to 1000V and up to 615A.

In November 2023, the first North American V4 Supercharger pedestals were installed in Wilsonville Oregon and Sparks Nevada.

The first installations use the V3 cabinets that provide up to 500V and 250 kW to each pedestal. The pedestals appear to be able to handle 1000V and 350 kW, once V4 backend cabinets are installed instead of the V3 cabinets currently used.
Sponsored

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Why doesn't every fast charging vendor use liquid cooled cables?
All chargers at or above 150 kw use liquid cooling.

FYI, it has been reported that Cyber truck is overheating the cables, since it holds high current longer than the other Tesla models.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
That article was 2 years ago. Note the release date was supposed to be for 2023. Also note:

"During the presentation, Tesla confirmed that the new 1+ MW charging system is coming to the upcoming Tesla Cybertruck. "

It's not clear what's meant by this, but the CT definitely doesn't have the interface currently used by the semi - and Tesla hasn't said anything about 1 MW peak charging on the CT. Ironically, the CT can barely do 250 KW/h at a Tesla SC, while it can hit 330 KW/h at an EA charger.

I would treat everything in that article as out of date speculation.
I would treat everything Tesla says as out of date speculation.

There, I fixed it for you.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
All chargers at or above 150 kw use liquid cooling.

FYI, it has been reported that Cyber truck is overheating the cables, since it holds high current longer than the other Tesla models.
I have no Tesla expertise, but charged next to a Cybertruck in Willison, VT and he didn't say anything about any issues.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I have no Tesla expertise, but charged next to a Cybertruck in Willison, VT and he didn't say anything about any issues.
Kyle Conner saw the issue when he did his cross country trip. Had to wrap a wet towel around the connector. The average person would likely not notice the power drop.

SlicerOnSteam

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Ranger, 2004 Mustang, 2019 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Systems Admin
Country flag
They don't need to. CCS2 was designed to handle 1000V- you can drive the same power at lower amps, meaning less heat.
This is just opinion, but CCS sucks - there, I said it! The cables are too big and heavy, way too short, and the connector itself is gargantuan and heavy almost always putting extra pressure on the ports back towards the charging stall. I was always afraid it was going to snap right off on Mach-E and I want to avoid a CCS adapter on a Tesla like the plague.

Mach-E has one of the most unfortunate CCS issues - having that beautiful manual push to open charging door with the ports lit by a nice LED, only to have it all ruined by the extra little flap on the DC pins. Can than just be removed completely? It's fun to debate small charging aesthetics whilst Ford has the HVJB, regen, cruise, camera, sensor, and touchscreen systems all falling apart.

The CCS problem is compounded by a lot of weird protective posts around a lot of public chargers. Superchargers have relatively short cables but with well organized and simple parking. Also it is so nice to use the same small connector to supercharge as you use at home.

The full CCS connector looks like something you'd use to charge your X-Wing.

Last edited:

valfam

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
JK and a WKII both gone :-( Now 23 MMEP Sta
Occupation
network admin
Country flag
I have a question I'm sure someone here can answer it. Ok I get. Having the option to use the tesla network is great but we have so many charging options installed already using the ccs port. Why would Ford and others change the port on the cars to nacs when using the adapter works fine? Are all the other charging network going to change the cables to nacs what about all the cars with ccs ports I'm guessing they will have to use adapters. Is it a royalties thing with everyone having to pay tesla to use the chargers and have the port on the vehicles.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I have a question I'm sure someone here can answer it. Ok I get. Having the option to use the tesla network is great but we have so many charging options installed already using the ccs port. Why would Ford and others change the port on the cars to nacs when using the adapter works fine? Are all the other charging network going to change the cables to nacs what about all the cars with ccs ports I'm guessing they will have to use adapters. Is it a royalties thing with everyone having to pay tesla to use the chargers and have the port on the vehicles.
Tesla's SuperCharger network has been far more reliable than Electrify America or other CCS networks. There are also adapters for Tesla (NACS) vehicles which allow them to use CCS. Pick your poison. :)

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The NACS plug itself is far more user friendly than CCS1 and NACS can be used for both AC and DC charging. CCS1 plugs are almost always a two-handed affair because of how bulky they are but NACS plugs are easy to manipulate with one hand.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

valfam

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
network admin
Country flag
The NACS plug itself is far more user friendly than CCS1 and NACS can be used for both AC and DC charging. CCS1 plugs are almost always a two-handed affair because of how bulky they are but NACS plugs are easy to manipulate with one hand.
that makes sense thanks.

Dear_OP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Horse and Wagon
Tesla began building their Supercharger network in 2012.

Electrify America was created in Jan 2017, and rolled out their first location in May 2018. So Tesla had 6+ years leadtime.
What it means is Electrify America and others have 6+ years to learn from.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
What it means is Electrify America and others have 6+ years to learn from.
Not really. Tesla was vertically integrated. EA couldn't do that. EA had a "get the first charger installed" tight timeframe and a mandate that they had to hit. Not close to the same.

valfam

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
network admin
Country flag
Tesla's SuperCharger network has been far more reliable than Electrify America or other CCS networks. There are also adapters for Tesla (NACS) vehicles which allow them to use CCS. Pick your poison. :)
Yeah I read about that, I have only taken my mme on one small road trip and the electrify American worked great for me on the trip. To me I think the whole shift is kind of crazy the cost to switching the cars redesigning parts when as you said they have adapters available already I think it's there is more to it.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I think it's there is more to it.
There is. Electrify America has been unreliable. Poor reliability, unable to deliver power at advertised rates, limited facilities at high demand locations.
Sponsored