JoanS

First Name
Joan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD 2021
Country flag
Just passed this week. To increase $10 per year to 2029 to a max of $290. :mad: So angry!!
Sponsored

Flint302

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium AWD, 2016 Audi A3
Occupation
Retired government
Country flag
Maybe they can use my $250 to fix one of the million potholes here.

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
Just passed this week. To increase $10 per year to 2029 to a max of $290. :mad: So angry!!
I seem to recall that NJ has no sales tax on the purchases of EVs. So you already saved ~$3300. With the current NJ state gas tax, someone who drives 12K miles with a car that gets 30 MPG pays about $170 in state gas tax. The $250 is high, but not egregiously high.

OP
OP

JoanS

First Name
Joan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That tax break is going to be phased out over the next 3 years. Instead, they say, they're going to concentrate on incentives. We'll see if that happens.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
They hit us with a $175 EV surcharge here in Wisconsin, which brings the total renewal cost close to $300. On top of that, they are adding a 3¢/kWh tax on public charging. That effectively means we are taxed twice as much as gas car driving 12k per year.

On top of that, we get zero state incentives for buying an EV.

It's not easy or cheap to own an EV in a red state...

GlennMacC

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E AWD SR
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
VA has a "highway use fee" that amounts to about $250/yr (other high-mpg cars pay the fee also, but at a lower rate). This is of course because we pay no gas tax. Apparently you can put a GPS device on your car if you want to show how many miles you actually drive, but I'm forgoing that and just paying. The use fee is based on an assumed yearly mileage of 11,600 miles.

valeriol

First Name
Valerio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium RW
Country flag
It was inevitable. With the phasing out of ICE cars they need to make up for the loss in revenue of gas taxes. It's particularly hard on people like me who don't drive much, I paid very little gas tax with my ICE. If they introduce fee/mile with GPS I'm jumping on it.

p.s.: The legislation has passed it, but it hasn't been signed yet. There might be some changes to it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

JoanS

First Name
Joan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They hit us with a $175 EV surcharge here in Wisconsin, which brings the total renewal cost close to $300. On top of that, they are adding a 3¢/kWh tax on public charging. That effectively means we are taxed twice as much as gas car driving 12k per year.

Except NJ is a blue state and it was the Dems that sponsored the bill, with a Dem Gov who wants all EVs by 2035.

Elmst-e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e premium
Country flag
Here in Kansas, we pay $70 a year registration tax on ev’s. Ice cars pay $30, PHEV’s pay $50. There was an attempt to put .03/ kWh tax on DCFC but it was decided administration and collection would offset revenue. I’m sure both these issues will be revisited often in the coming years.

Oldlawman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Rosie" - Rapid Red Mach E AWD EXTD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
As from 2025 EV vehicles will be subject to an annual Road Tax of £125 in the UK - up to now they have been free of this. ICE cars have been subject to Road Tax for decades so we can’t complain. As ICE vehicles are phased out and HM government’s fuel revenues drop I suspect that position will change. Other than being currently free of Road Tax there are no other tax benefits or credits here. There was a period (long expired) when you could apply for a government grant towards the installation of a home charger and I managed to obtain mine on the very last day😁

Ev Blau

First Name
Ev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I seem to recall that NJ has no sales tax on the purchases of EVs. So you already saved ~$3300. With the current NJ state gas tax, someone who drives 12K miles with a car that gets 30 MPG pays about $170 in state gas tax. The $250 is high, but not egregiously high.
Try living in NC: paid state tax on the purchase of our ‘22 Select (bought used in 2023) and then paid a whopping $180 EV fee when it was time to renew our tags (State annual inspection isn’t much but we pay an annual property tax on cars). Wasn’t aware NC was going to tag on that extra fee. Guess the folks in Raleigh realized pretty quickly that their revenue from gas purchases was going to take a major hit with the uptick in EV ownership.

JerryR

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach E, AWD
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
VA has a "highway use fee" that amounts to about $250/yr (other high-mpg cars pay the fee also, but at a lower rate). This is of course because we pay no gas tax. Apparently you can put a GPS device on your car if you want to show how many miles you actually drive, but I'm forgoing that and just paying. The use fee is based on an assumed yearly mileage of 11,600 miles.
I use the GPS device in my car (with the GPS part disabled). It saves me around $35/year since I drive about 9k miles.

grabberB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Premium Extended
Country flag
Sucks. I hope that Ford and the other makers use some of their nut to lobby against new and rising fees.

Glen Boise

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
In Indiana the EV surcharge is $210. It increased this year because the gas tax increased. It is now indexed to inflation. The surcharge is supposed to reflect the average miles of travel times the average miles/gallon times the gas tax per gallon.
Those of you facing an extra tax for using DCFC should complain to your legislators about your being double taxed. The stated reason for the DCFC tax is to get out-of-state drivers to contribute for highway maintenance. This ignores that many if not most of the users of DCFC are locals or in-state drivers. People who do not have at home charging like apartment dwellers or have received free DCFC for a couple years with the purchase of a new car. Your legislators probably have no idea who is charging. They just passed the extra fee because the American Legislative Exchange Council (which includes business interests like big oil) suggested it.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag

True and yet I have found that Wisconsin (and Utah) DC Fast charging rates are among the lowest in the lower 48 states. My New York state DC Fast fillups are around $40.
Sponsored