JoanS

First Name
Joan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD 2021
Country flag
Didn't realize so many states, and some other countries, already had these surcharges.
Sponsored

Oldlawman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Rosie" - Rapid Red Mach E AWD EXTD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Didn't realize so many states, and some other countries, already had these surcharges.
As I mentioned in my previous reply EVā€™s in the UK are currently free of any Road Tax but as from next year they will charged at the rate of Ā£125 pa for the privilege of using our pothole strewn roads. As the revenue from fuel tax diminishes I have no doubt at all that HM Government will ensure that it recovers the lost revenue from another source - possibly charging road users per mile? Suggestions have been made for the installation of little black boxes in vehicles - Iā€™m sure the government would like that as they could track everyone. More toll main roads as well perhaps?
I have never used a public charging point so don't know whether the supply is taxed - probably though.

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
Try living in NC: paid state tax on the purchase of our ā€˜22 Select (bought used in 2023) and then paid a whopping $180 EV fee when it was time to renew our tags (State annual inspection isnā€™t much but we pay an annual property tax on cars). Wasnā€™t aware NC was going to tag on that extra fee. Guess the folks in Raleigh realized pretty quickly that their revenue from gas purchases was going to take a major hit with the uptick in EV ownership.
I live in a state with much higher gas taxes, and much higher registration fees in general (regardless of whether it is ICE or EV). $180 is a steal compared to what I have to pay in state gas taxes for my hybrid SUV.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Just passed this week. To increase $10 per year to 2029 to a max of $290. :mad: So angry!!
yeah we pay $214 ev fee annually. I don't have a problem with it, we don't use gas so we don't pay gas tax. I do think it's a bit heavy in GA, the $214 in GA is equivalent to gas tax on around800 gallons of gas which I've never used in a year in my entire long life.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Except NJ is a blue state and it was the Dems that sponsored the bill, with a Dem Gov who wants all EVs by 2035.
I generally support Murphy (NJ governor) and especially his push for clean energy and EV's, but in the last 2 years they have gone off the rails. The EV incentives are going away, they are far behind many red states including Pennsylvania with taking advantage of the NEVI money before it goes away, and yet they foolishly approved the ban on ICE vehicles - giving plenty of ammunition to the anti-EV movement. At this point his whole push is overwhelmed by the anti-wind and anti-EV propaganda machines.

Anyway, the CCS charger coverage is virtually nonexistent on the major thoroughfares (NJTP, GS Pkwy, AC Expwy), and the Tesla chargers are V3 but don't currently support CCS. They aren't even going to start awarding NEVI contracts until 2025. How the hell can they expect to see a shift toward EVs this decade?
Sponsored