OP
phil

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Out of curiosity, have you tried locking the car with the door pillar keypad or lock button? Maybe that might help your car reset? Just throwing out ideas...
I did try that, and it did not help.

Tried again just for kicks tonight, and after a bunch of presses, I did get the passcode prompt once again. It seems the car is just moody...
Sponsored

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Today Paak failed to work four times to start the car. Neither time the backup start code appeared. I'm about to go back to the fob only life. Paak just sucks.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I did try that, and it did not help.

Tried again just for kicks tonight, and after a bunch of presses, I did get the passcode prompt once again. It seems the car is just moody...
Well there goes that theory....
Yeah, software can be hit and miss at times.

mach_e_hopeful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
I wish my car came with two keys, I stopped using paak and I don't hate the car anymore since for me it was such a huge negative.

Maybe I should trade my 2021 for a 2022 to get them two keys haha!

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
Do you feel the same about not having a spare tire? Both failing will = the same result.

I honestly wish I could record my every day interactions with the car because PaaK is absolutely flawless for me. I've had my ups and downs, but being that I'm "slightly" tech minded I can usually find the reason for failures. Recently, I have discovered that disabling adaptive battery has massively impacted my PaaK experience for the better. I'm going on 3 weeks of not a single issue and opening/starting first button push.

Love this idea!
What is “adaptive battery?”

Reactions: RLW

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
What is “adaptive battery?”
The two main reasons for PaaK failure or poor performance, in my testing, are throttling and location access.

On Pixel devices we have something called adaptive battery. It's a form of throttling to maintain battery health. Other phones and OS' have their own versions. Basically anything that restricts Bluetooth power or connectivity to save battery should be turned off and location access should always be granted to FP.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
The two main reasons for PaaK failure or poor performance, in my testing, are throttling and location access.

On Pixel devices we have something called adaptive battery. It's a form of throttling to maintain battery health. Other phones and OS' have their own versions. Basically anything that restricts Bluetooth power or connectivity to save battery should be turned off and location access should always be granted to FP.
Have you noticed an intense battery drain occasionally? I'm like you, in that I am tech-minded, and like to try and diagnose issues like this or at least identify the cause of failure so that I can remedy, report, or avoid it.

With adaptive battery off, and also with battery optimization off for FordPass, I find myself force-closing the app out of habit every time I'm done driving, so that it doesn't start its occasional severe background battery drain.

Of course, this means I have to make sure I open the app again every time I want to drive somewhere again.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Have you noticed an intense battery drain occasionally? I'm like you, in that I am tech-minded, and like to try and diagnose issues like this or at least identify the cause of failure so that I can remedy, report, or avoid it.

With adaptive battery off, and also with battery optimization off for FordPass, I find myself force-closing the app out of habit every time I'm done driving, so that it doesn't start its occasional severe background battery drain.

Of course, this means I have to make sure I open the app again every time I want to drive somewhere again.
I have no battery drain at all. It's not even in my list of usage items. As you can see by the key icon in the screen shot it's active and I never force close. I try to avoid going into FordPass at all costs because that's when I tend to have issues.

Ford Mustang Mach-E No prompt to enter backup start passcode - Update: FIXED Screenshot_20220103-071431

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
I have no battery drain at all. It's not even in my list of usage items. As you can see by the key icon in the screen shot it's active and I never force close. I try to avoid going into FordPass at all costs because that's when I tend to have issues.

Ford Mustang Mach-E No prompt to enter backup start passcode - Update: FIXED Screenshot_20220103-071431
Amazing. I've got a Pixel 6 Pro, and FordPass usually shows up as the #2 or 3 in my list; sometimes topping it at #1 with around 6-20% battery usage. I wonder what's different.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Amazing. I've got a Pixel 6 Pro, and FordPass usually shows up as the #2 or 3 in my list; sometimes topping it at #1 with around 6-20% battery usage. I wonder what's different.
Try disabling adaptive battery, make sure location is set to always (has to be done manually), stop force closing it and don't play with enabling/disabling Bluetooth. Lastly don't hide the persistent notification.

Let me know if you notice a difference. I've got the same phone. FWIW I also had a perfect experience on a 5XL and tested a 4XL with like results.

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
It works for me too. But I’m quite aware that for some it’s a steaming pile of horse flop.

As for spare tires. I’ve had PAAK fail on me 3 times in 7 months to the point I had to use the backup start code. Without that I’d have been stranded with no way home. Spare tire wise, I’ve had exactly one flat in the 19 years we’ve lived on island driving Hawaii County’s crummy roads. A spare tire takes a load of room, the fob, not so much.
I am somewhere in between, with my share of PaaK failures during just three weeks of ownership. Despite the multiple failures and glitches, I feel comfortable enough to leave the key fob at home when driving around town, the car is not my daily driver so I don't usually carry the fob with me anyway, but I would never leave the fob at home on a road trip. As much as I enjoy working with technology, I am not inclined to help Ford debug using my own time.

As for spare tire, I had one flat in the last 20+ years and in that instance I should have seen it coming given the poor condition the tire was already in.

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Today I'm going back to the fob, again. Paak just doesn't work. I can take occasional hiccups but the backup code often doesn't appear which quickly turns into frustration and embarrassment.

The last few weeks FP has drained my battery every couple days even when it's closed.

I've checked and rechecked settings, reset Paak 5-6 times to no avail.

Ford and their half-baked software. My last seven vehicles are from two manufactures, I'm a very loyal customer. Don't think I'll be loyal with Ford. In a few years there will be so much competition it will be hard to forget the incompetence with Ford software, lack of customer service, and the one fob BS. I do really like the car besides the above-mentioned Ford failures. Ciao ciao.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Try disabling adaptive battery, make sure location is set to always (has to be done manually), stop force closing it and don't play with enabling/disabling Bluetooth. Lastly don't hide the persistent notification.

Let me know if you notice a difference. I've got the same phone. FWIW I also had a perfect experience on a 5XL and tested a 4XL with like results.
I'm in compliance currently with all of that... except for the force close habit (out of necessity, lol!) and hiding the persistent notification. But hiding the notification shouldn't affect anything... why would it?
I'll give it a try for a week nevertheless!

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I'm in compliance currently with all of that... except for the force close habit (out of necessity, lol!) and hiding the persistent notification. But hiding the notification shouldn't affect anything... why would it?
I'll give it a try for a week nevertheless!
I agree that it shouldn't, but in testing with two different people we've found it caused issues.

OP
OP
phil

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
On Pixel devices we have something called adaptive battery.
I believe Adaptive Battery is generally applicable to all Androids, beginning with version 9 (Pie).
Sponsored