Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GTPE, Sunbeam Tiger w1970 Boss302, 2002Rav4EV
Country flag
So probably a dozen times over the past 2 months when I press the power trunk close button the trunk lid stops closing and the horn beeps twice. There is no obstruction in the way and it does this when the hatch probably has another 30-36" still to close. I just press the button and it goes back up. I press it immediately again and it stops. Then I press it a 3rd time and the trunk closes as is supposed to close.

Any ideas why this keeps happening occasionally. It probably happens once every 4-10 trunk closures. Seems totally random.
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
No idea why ot happens, but mine does this too. He difference is sometimes mine takes a dozen or more tries to close it. Frustrating! 😅🐩

Matstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
Mine does that on occasion too. Most often it is if there is water or snow on the ground under the car. I have the impression that a sensor is deceived by reflective surfaces.

OP
OP
Larry Paul

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Mine does that on occasion too. Most often it is if there is water or snow on the ground under the car. I have the impression that a sensor is deceived by reflective surfaces.
Thank you. My car does it on sunny days and at night. The car has never seen snow and rarely even rain. It does not seem to be weather related. It does not relate to water with a car wash.

OP
OP
Larry Paul

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No idea why ot happens, but mine does this too. He difference is sometimes mine takes a dozen or more tries to close it. Frustrating! 😅🐩
Very weird. Mine so far always closes on the 2nd try…but not sure why it fails. Does your horn beep?

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Very weird. Mine so far always closes on the 2nd try…but not sure why it fails. Does your horn beep?
Yeah, I get the error sound and it acts like there is something in the way. I rarely am able to get it to close on the second try. 🤷‍♂️🐩

HGxxx

First Name
Harish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion energi, mach e premium standard range
Country flag
Mine does that too I noticed, random times, I just manually close it , use that handle on the right .😁

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
The power liftgate may need to be re-initialized with FDRS to relearn the forces and positions. Similar to calibrating a garage door.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Only when I press the button to close and immediately walk to the driver’s door to get in. Then it sometimes occurs. If I stay at the back of the car to see if it’s going to close, it will close every time. I get the impression the car is being spiteful. “Oh, he’s not watching. He thought I was going to behave. Time to mess with him.”

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Guess I do not have all the problems. Mine works fine. I figured out that the kick was not working because I was too close and it was seeing me. I reach out for the button and I am 6' tall. I think hitting the button partial way up triggers it to only open that high? I use full sweep every time. It is sensitive to you being around. Step away from it a bit more and try?

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Guess I do not have all the problems. Mine works fine. I figured out that the kick was not working because I was too close and it was seeing me. I reach out for the button and I am 6' tall. I think hitting the button partial way up triggers it to only open that high? I use full sweep every time. It is sensitive to you being around. Step away from it a bit more and try?
KtO only works a little less than 25% of the time. I always use the button now. It has also done this to me when I was nowhere near the lift gate, having used the button on the headlight cluster. 🤷‍♂️🐩

I have noticed that it has fewer issues if I just stand there after pushing the button. Like @Murse-In-Airy I have more issues if I walk away. 🤔🐩

It might be a force sensor issue so the next time I have an FDRS license I will try to look into recalibrating the rear lift gate like @Mach-Lee said. 😊🐩

Last edited:

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
KtO only works a little less than 25% of the time. I always use the button now. It has also done this to me when I was nowhere near the lift gate, having used the button on the headlight cluster. 🤷‍♂️🐩

I have noticed that it has fewer issues if I just stand there after pushing the button. Like @Murse-In-Airy I have more issues if I walk away. 🤔🐩

It might be a firce sensor issue so the next time I have an FDRS license I will try to look into recalibrating the rear lift gate like @Mach-Lee said. 😊🐩
Not rubbing it in just trying to inform you it may be fixable. Unloaded groceries yesterday and kick worked first time to close. Kick is an art but my button never too much of a problem. I use the screen tap mostly to open.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
So probably a dozen times over the past 2 months when I press the power trunk close button the trunk lid stops closing and the horn beeps twice. There is no obstruction in the way and it does this when the hatch probably has another 30-36" still to close. I just press the button and it goes back up. I press it immediately again and it stops. Then I press it a 3rd time and the trunk closes as is supposed to close.

Any ideas why this keeps happening occasionally. It probably happens once every 4-10 trunk closures. Seems totally random.
Hello! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this trunk concern on your Mach-E. Thanks!
Sponsored