Rear hatch / tailgate: power close not working?

MrRongoose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium AWD SR Red/Blk Onyx
Country flag
Bump - mine randomly started doing this again last night and today. Any clues as to why? Last time it fixed itself after a day. Today it worked briefly but then broke again
Mine did this a few months ago then was fine for a long time. Started again about a month ago and randomly may work but more often then not it doesn't. Dealer said the sensor that detects obstructions was corrupt. They tried to reprogram and flash but couldn't. Waiting on a new one to come in
Sponsored

OP
OP
shadowsjc

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD + Ext Range
Country flag
Bump - took it to the dealer. They initially thought it was a bad switch. Replaced it but problem persisted. Next up is a replacement module but will have to wait until next week

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Bump - took it to the dealer. They initially thought it was a bad switch. Replaced it but problem persisted. Next up is a replacement module but will have to wait until next week
Hi there. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this on my end.

OP
OP
shadowsjc

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Any updates? Mine did this today.
Dealer swapped out the switch but problem remained. They think it's a bad module but don't have that part and don't have an ETA for me yet.

Between this and the "axle grinding" noise (which the dealer has also left me in the dark for months), i can't say I'm having the best experience with Ford.

Honestly while I love my car, the dealer experience was such a headache that I'd probably start steering people towards more established brands instead

IMDIDOC

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 1970 Z-28 RS Original Owner
Occupation
Optometrist
Country flag
I've been where you have been. The service technicians are at a loss as well. Yet hatch closers have been used in other Ford vehicles, so what is so different here? The tech at my Ford dealer reports the foot activation for the hatch is being discontinued in 2022. I guess they gave up. The axle needs an engineering solution. My car's half-shaft was replaced but didn't hold up and began making noise after a week. Ford should have given cars to a group of beta testers for 6 months to iron out the quirks. Still a fun car and for styling, AWD, range and availability of Ford Service, it's still a good choice. From what I've seen, newer EVs don't have the range, or the frunk, or AWD or poor performance. What comes down the road when my Ford Options are up, will determine if I continue with Ford. For now if I get totally fed up, I would have to go back to an ICE vehicle to meet my requirements in a car.

MrRongoose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Any updates? Mine did this today.
I have an appointment this week for a new module, it finally came in. Will update afterwards. I haven't had the issues with the dealer @shadowsjc has, mine has been great. Module did take about a month to come in though

MrRongoose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've been where you have been. The service technicians are at a loss as well. Yet hatch closers have been used in other Ford vehicles, so what is so different here? The tech at my Ford dealer reports the foot activation for the hatch is being discontinued in 2022. I guess they gave up. The axle needs an engineering solution. My car's half-shaft was replaced but didn't hold up and began making noise after a week. Ford should have given cars to a group of beta testers for 6 months to iron out the quirks. Still a fun car and for styling, AWD, range and availability of Ford Service, it's still a good choice. From what I've seen, newer EVs don't have the range, or the frunk, or AWD or poor performance. What comes down the road when my Ford Options are up, will determine if I continue with Ford. For now if I get totally fed up, I would have to go back to an ICE vehicle to meet my requirements in a car.
My foot activation has been great. Sometimes delayed but I think that's the same delay the doors have too when looking for my phone while using PAK. When I carry a key, no delay whatsoever

MrRongoose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've been waiting for a module for over a month! Going to pressure my dealer for an update soon. Thanks for the update
Call them. They told me they'd call in a week. I called them in 2 weeks and that's when they told me it came in the day before. Next Appt was 2 weeks out

MrRongoose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Update: I had the module replaced and viola! It's been working reliably for about a month now. Will update if it stops. Only thing I noticed now and not sure if it existed before. Once it's open, if I use my foot to close, it doesn't work unless you wait 30 or so seconds after opening it fully. So if you open, throw something in real quick and try to foot close in like 15 seconds it doesn't work until you wait a little. Not a deal breaker and honestly probably a good feature.

Will update if things change but for now, working with no issues

OP
OP
shadowsjc

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Update: took it to a different dealer about a half hour away from my home Of course the damn hatch decides to work normally the day it's at the dealer! Get sent home, promptly breaks again. Take it back to dealer following day and they finally see the issue.

Couple of days later they fix it - cause of issue was some weather strip sensor (??). Basically the car thought something was obstructing the hatch closing. Works fine now for a few days. Can't believe this dragged on for months, no thanks to my local dealer who was totally useless.
Sponsored